VIPER plots

Ninja-Bear

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More inspiration. Background of game is I’m using Gen City, a fictionalized Erie, PA. So at the very least, I’m thinking of making my Nest Leader Canadian. He wants revenge on the US because of his family’s past involving the War of 1812. Plus I think the Nest is going to be in Canada.

Um... okay. FWIW few Canadians remember the War of 1812, and most who do figure we won, so it's more a matter of pride than resentment. ;)

I meant Gem City. And I wasn’t sure about winning the war part, thk LL. I might die a little research and see what ships were involved in the Naval battle on Lake Erie which Admiral Perry won. I’m thinking one of the British captains harbor hatred for the US and now it’s a family generational thing. (And probably an excuse to be a Viper leader).

Hey, I can think of lots more recent and topical reasons for a Canadian to hate Americans. :P

If you want a generational, war-tragedy kind of motivation, my suggestion would be the Canadian volunteers in the Vietnam War. Tens of thousands of young Canadians volunteered for a war their country wasn't fighting. Thousands saw battlefield action. 134 were confirmed killed. For decades they were overlooked and forgotten in both the United States and Canada.

Also there might be a superhero named Otter. He’s martial artist and great swimmer.

Since Erie has GE locomotive plant, I’m thinking perhaps they have more Hi-tech concerns at that plant and Viper is attacking to steal a macgiffin. I could see a a origin for a Armadilo/Monitor (The guy in BBB whose armor has a lot of activation rolls).

I’m also thinking of putting a Stronghold prison on one of the islands close to Niagra falls. Sorta like what was in Spidey and his Amazing friends. (Hey those prisons need a lot of electricy! And it’s Green!). I figure that prison would be ran by UNTIL.

Sure, as long as it's not too close to a population center. FWIW the current CU has "Stronghold North" as it's officially known, in Northern Ontario near the Winisk River, run by the Canadian government. It's relatively isolated but a fairly quick air trip from anywhere in eastern Canada. Stronghold North is designed similarly to America's Stronghold, but considerably smaller, having only two subsurface levels. It's described on p. 59 of the Stronghold source book, albeit not in much more detail than the above.

Gem City is a fictional city, so it can have a fictional island far enough off-shore to be a deterrent to escapees, while still being close enough to be involved in adventures.  Kinda like Alcatraz.  Or you can put it near Niagara if you want, though that's relatively far from Erie.

When I ran a Champions campaign based in New York City, I added Stronghold East, a super-prison built on Riker's Island, after a massive supervillain attack badly damaged the normal prison there.  I based Stronghold East off the Gramercy Island prison from Heroes Unlimited.

Looking at the map, I see that London, Ontario isn't that far from Erie.  Personally, I'd make the Nest Leader a Brit who moved to Canada and set up shop in London.  Maybe his great+-grandfather was one of the British regulars killed when the Americans captured and burned York (now Toronto) in 1813, but since the Toronto Nest was already taken, the descendant had to settle for London.  Since carrying a grudge over 200 years is a bit extreme, you could easily make the Nest Leader a bit over-the-top as well - maybe he declares himself King of Canada, or for some reason feels that the War of 1812 never actually ended.

Another question, is Canada more UNTIL friendly than the US?

It is if you want it to be. It is not if you want it to be. Officially, Canada is more pro-UNTIL than pro-PRIMUS, but don't they have there own semi-military, semi-police orginzation?

Great, just thought of Super Mounties. Duddly DoRight with superpowers.

Thank you, steriaca, for perpetuating another sixty-year-old Canadian cliche. :tonguewav

CU-officially (as per Champions Of The North), it's debatable whether the relationship of the United States to UNTIL is currently any worse than Canada's; but Canadian government agencies have cooperated closely with UNTIL from its inception, unlike the US. And yes, we do have sort-of "Super-Mounties." :rolleyes:  The RCMP is Canada's national police force, and one component of it, the Steelhead Division, was founded in 1986 specifically to deal with super-crime. The Steelheads include squads outfitted with Steelsman light powered armor.