Varying Effect and Defensive Absorption

blackieb

Question

Varying effect on Absorption requires a player to choose from Phase to Phase whether his absorption is against Physical or Energy attacks. Based on your answers to other questions regarding Defensive Absorption, it appears that Absorption as a Defense provides your full levels of Absorption as defense against an attack that can be absorbed.

My question(s) is:

1. Could Varying Effect instead be "Any combination of Physical or Energy per Segment", and if so how would that change it's value?

For example, a character with 12 levels of Absorption with the above Varying Effect variant is hit by an 8 BODY Energy attack, which he absorbs. Later that Segment he is hit by an 8 BODY Physical attack. He absorbs 4 BODY of that attack. He doesn't have to choose from Phase to Phase, nor can he choose.

2. If Defensive Absorption instead provided only 1 defense per BODY actually absorbed, what would be the limitation?

For example, a character with 12 levels of Absorption is hit with an 8 BODY attack. He receives 8 defense instead of 12 against that attack. Later that Segment he gets hit by another 8 BODY attack. He only receives 4 defense against the second attack, instead of 12.

3. What would be the combined value for both above?

For example:

Absorbo wants to represent a form of adaptive absorption that absorbs and provides defense against both Physical and Energy attacks, but doesn't require Phase to Phase decisions or purchasing the Power twice. He buys 12 levels of Absorption with Varying Effect(+3/4) and Absorption as a Defense (Resistant; +1) with the following custom advantage/limitation: "Varying Effect allows Absorption of any combination of Physical or Energy per Segment, but Defensive Absorption provides only 1 DEF per BODY absorbed"

Do you think the above is balanced sufficiently to where the value is 0?

1 answer to this question

1. As a default rule, no, characters can’t buy Varying Effect that way. If a GM wants to allow it anyway, I certainly won’t send the Gaming Police after him, though. ;)

2-3. I’m sorry, but I generally don’t answer these sorts of speculative rules questions — I have to stick to answering questions about the rules that actually exist. However, here’s what I will do:  as I slowly work my way through compiling The Advanced Player’s Guide III, when I get to this entry in my notes I’ll consider the questions you’ve raised and see if I think they merit the inclusion of some optional rules. If I decide they do, I’ll assign them values and also discuss the implications of using those options. Thanks for suggesting the idea!