Aid and Multiple Attack

DasBroot

Question

Hi Steve,

Aid requires an attack action to use (with all the comes with that).  As such does Aid fulfil the criteria to count as an attack for the purposes of 'Multiple Attack' or is it just a power that takes an 'attack action'? 

For example could a character expend double endurance to Multiple Attack (2 attacks) a Standard Effect Aid to get to their full Aid potential in single phase instead of two? Could they combine it with something else - an aid strength on themselves with one attack and a strike action against a foe with a second?

Thank you

1 answer to this question

I’m going to rephrase the question to make it clearer for everyone (including me :) ):

Q:  The Multiple Attack Combat Maneuver “allows a character to make more than one attack in a Phase[.]” For purposes of this rule, what qualifies as an “attack?” Specifically, does any Action requiring an Attack Roll (such as using Aid) constitute an “attack”?

A:  That’s up to the GM, who should use his common sense, dramatic sense, and game balance sense to decide. Most attacks — using force against someone with the intent to cause harm — are clearly an attack by any rational definition. Powers like Aid are a different matter. After all, Aid is intended to be helpful, and that doesn’t sound much like an attack. The mere fact that an Action the character wants to take requires an “Attack Action” does not make that Action an “attack” for the purposes of Multiple Attack. But this is why we have GMs, to handle tricky situations like these. I can think of situations where I’d probably allow it because it enhances the drama and excitement of the game, and others where I wouldn’t.

If you haven't already, I'd suggest starting a conversation about this on the HERO System Discussion board; it definitely seems like something worth discussing.