Site Upgrade

Simon

20 hours ago, Simon said:

Curious that you're trying to debug code that you've never seen...and which doesn't exist.

I simply can not help myself from analysing Progrmam behavior. It just happens when I use it. WIth Webpages the Browser and how long it stores cookies is part of the Programm Flow. Especially when logins are concerend. And cookie behavior is the one thing I have complete awareness and even control off.

11 hours ago, Simon said:

Let's do this once more for posterity:  I did not write the software for the forums.  I am not interested in changing the code, "debugging" or anything else.  The software for this site works just fine for Fortune 100 companies...I suspect it will do just fine for HERO Games.

Maybe you could at least relay the bug? I can only check the client side behavior, not the server side configuration.

Continuing:

There seem only two cookies that are deleted with Browser Closure:
ips4_IPSSessionFront and ips4_ipsTimezone

All others have "this should never be deleted on a frequent visitor" Enddates.

And killing ips4_IPSSessionFront via Firefox ability to  does indeed result in the index page turning up in the "not logged in" status. And it is not regenerated until I visit any other page.

You can do with that information what you want:
Ignore it.

Relay it.

I know fully well that even with knowing the exact behavior causing the issue, solving it might be infeasible or somebody elses job (and better kept that way).

Doing a full 4 sides model analysis of my intentions (as these tend to not transmit via text):

Factual Side: The primary purpose

Self revelation: Look, I am good at this. Writing "Awesome Programmer" as Forumtitle was not hyperbole.

Relationship: We are both programmers.

Appeal: Intentionally left blank, because I see how demanding people on Forums can be over the slightest bugs that have the most complex fixes.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone else experienced this: when you post a comment quoting a post that's not on the most-recent page of the thread, the old software would take you to the most-recent page so you could see your new post. The new software doesn't do that, it seems to leave you on the page you were quoting from and doesn't give you a notification that your post went through. As a result, I wound up creating 3 or 4 duplicate posts before I realized what was going on. Could just be user error, of course, but seemed odd.

10 hours ago, bigdamnhero said:

Has anyone else experienced this: when you post a comment quoting a post that's not on the most-recent page of the thread, the old software would take you to the most-recent page so you could see your new post. The new software doesn't do that, it seems to leave you on the page you were quoting from and doesn't give you a notification that your post went through. As a result, I wound up creating 3 or 4 duplicate posts before I realized what was going on. Could just be user error, of course, but seemed odd.

Doesn't matter if you're quoting or not -- you're using the quick reply form at the bottom of the page.  Replies will always go to the end of the thread, but having the page change from your current selection is non-ideal, so you'll need to just trust the "Saving..." and clearing of the form.

Doesn't matter if you're quoting or not -- you're using the quick reply form at the bottom of the page.  Replies will always go to the end of the thread, but having the page change from your current selection is non-ideal...

I thought with the old software, entering a comment with Quick Reply would change the page to the most-recent page? [shrug] I'm not sure either way is significantly better, just different.

...so you'll need to just trust the "Saving..." and clearing of the form.

Well that's the thing, IIRC it didn't clear the form or give me a SAVING label or anything to trust in?

OK, one more stupid question. The old Advanced Search function used to have the option of searching Active and/or Archived content. It appears the new function only searches for Active content? I was trying to find a post from a couple years ago, and wasn't able to find it. Are those threads gone for good, or is there some way to find them?

If you go to the Advanced Search and set the last update search criteria far enough back, you'll be searching through the archives.  The default search looks to anything updated (posted to) within the last year...which matches the archive conditions.

Not sure if this has been brought to your attention, but it seems the updates for this forum has established lots of notifications as default. I was quite surprised to have probably over a hundred HERO emails in my inbox recently. I think I have managed to kill the notifications. Going forward (or potentially now if possible) establishing a default of no-notification would be a welcomed edit. 

La Rose. 

2 hours ago, 薔薇語 said:

Not sure if this has been brought to your attention, but it seems the updates for this forum has established lots of notifications as default. I was quite surprised to have probably over a hundred HERO emails in my inbox recently. I think I have managed to kill the notifications. Going forward (or potentially now if possible) establishing a default of no-notification would be a welcomed edit.

Yes, there are several posts about this earlier in the thread.

• 1 month later...

I am having a bit of a issue with the Designs. The contextual Quote Function display no text and is not clickable, forcing me to always do a full quote of previous posts.

And in Quotes in general the name of the quoted user no longer appears. I used bigdamnheroes previous post as example, because it just sat there :)

5a58d0b5a8c85_HerogamesQuotationissue.thumb.PNG.4879cbaec983fe9c6878dbde29934fb5.PNG

Already tried reloading the page with invalidated chache (Ctl+F5 in Firefox), but all that did was knock out my login.

I am having a bit of a issue with the Designs.

Again, I don't write the software and will absolutely not make any modifications to it.

The contextual Quote Function display no text and is not clickable, forcing me to always do a full quote of previous posts.

May want to try deleting portions of the previous quote that you don't want....and/or inserting the same quote multiple times if you want to respond to individual sections of it.

Again, I don't write the software and will absolutely not make any modifications to it.

May want to try deleting portions of the previous quote that you don't want....and/or inserting the same quote multiple times if you want to respond to individual sections of it.

Are you talking to me? I can not tell because no name appears in the Quotes. And it is not like I could look wich post that cite coems form either. :winkgrin:

Are you talking to me? I can not tell because no name appears in the Quotes. And it is not like I could look wich post that cite coems form either. :winkgrin:

Are you trying to be funny or an ass?  Because the latter will get you punted to the moderation queue.

If only there were a link at the right of the quoted section that took you to the original post...oh, wait.  There is.

Previously on the old version of the board if you clicked on the number of replies it gave you a breakdown of who had posted. Now the functionality is gone. Is that a feature of the new board or was it removed/disabled ?

On a personal preference note the lack of saying who posted a quote that I maybe replying to is disquieting to say the least. It would be easier to for example for people to lose track of what is going on and who is talking to whom if the conversation spans several pages. It can get confusing. I could also envisage people making fake quotes but then that is more of my paranoia. If the opportunity comes up to restore the older style which simply says who posted, with or without date/time stamp, on a quote, I would say 'Yes please'.

Dan

I just noticed something browser dependent and am not sure which of my browser settings I might have to change.

When I am using Edge and mark a forum as read, it all just happens.  When I use Chrome, a pop up appears which I presume is asking me whether I am sure I want to.  I say presume because none of the text is present (see attached image).

I am noticing all of the system messages when I am in Chrome are similarly lacking in text etc.  Given the disparity between my own browsers, I realise that this must be the relationship between my browser and the system, I just do not have the nous to know where to begin.  I was hoping you might know where I should begin....

Doc

Picture1.bmp

On 12.1.2018 at 5:02 PM, Simon said:

Are you trying to be funny or an ass?  Because the latter will get you punted to the moderation queue.

I was trying to be funny. That is why I used the smiley. What other method to anotate something that was not meant seriously is there in a textbased medium?

Regarding the link: I admit, I totally overlooked that one. Now that you reminded me of it, I see it was there - faded out - even in my image.

Regarding the issue: It somehow solved itself. Suddenly I am back to seeing who was quoted. And the context menu on marking of text also appears again. Wierd, but I take it.