Site Upgrade

Simon

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Simon said:

It is not -- the "issue" is within your browser configuration.  Again, it is only peripherally related to the site at all -- the site is coded to utilize HTML5 notifications, so your browser will ask for your approval.  That's as far as the site's code/functionality goes, the rest is on your end.

I have received the notification on many sites.  On this one, I allowed it, on others I declined...and that was the end of it.  This has been the behavior across multiple platforms and multiple browsers.

I'm double-checking, again, to make sure we're on the same page -- specifically because if the Notifications are disabled at the Win10 OS Level (in its Settings app)... there is no option in Edge to allow or decline  (because all Notifications for Edge are Off/disabled ... at the OS level via its Settings app).  Thus, your guidance to allow/decline it isn't something that makes sense to me -- because I'm not presented with such options. 

If I'm reading you correctly, you're basically telling me that having Notifications for Edge disabled at the Win10 OS Level (in its Settings app) browser is no longer supported on this site after the upgrade -- and that users of this site leveraging Edge MUST manage Notifications within Edge (i.e. have Notifications for Edge enabled at the Win10 OS Level (in its Settings app)) rather than just shutting them all down for Edge at the OS level ... when that previously wasn't the case?  Is this correct?

Just now, Jhaierr said:

Congratulations on getting it all up and going, Dan! What a process!

I'm curious if the new upgrade will help things going forward for you? (As in, maybe the next upgrade you do will be easier now?)

Ye gods yes.  Now that we're on a dedicated server, there are no more roadblocks to keeping up to date with the software (CPU or otherwise).  That and the resolution of the issues with the rather large upgrade from our EoL version of the software to the current should make for quick, easy, and seamless updates going forward.

There's a minor update/patch available now, but I'm waiting for the background tasks to complete from the current upgrade before applying it.  I don't think there will be any downtime when applying the patch, beyond possibly a minute or two when folks are unable to access the forums.

There's a minor version upgrade due out at the beginning of next year, purportedly adding to and enhancing the additional features from the current -- while that may take slightly longer to apply than the patches, it should still be a "one and done" process.

Just now, Surrealone said:

I'm double-checking, again, to make sure we're on the same page -- specifically because if the Notifications are disabled at the Win10 OS Level (in its Settings app)... there is no option in Edge to allow or decline  (because all Notifications for Edge are Off/disabled ... at the OS level via its Settings app).  Thus, your guidance to allow/decline it isn't something that makes sense to me -- because I'm not presented with such options. 

If I'm reading you correctly, you're basically telling me that having Notifications for Edge disabled at the Win10 OS Level (in its Settings app) browser is no longer supported on this site after the upgrade -- and that users of this site leveraging Edge MUST manage Notifications within Edge (i.e. have Notifications for Edge enabled at the Win10 OS Level (in its Settings app)) rather than just shutting them all down for Edge at the OS level ... when that previously wasn't the case?  Is this correct?

I'm telling you that it has almost nothing to do with this site.  The dialog that you're seeing is not generated by this site -- it is generated by your browser.

18 hours ago, Simon said:

If you opted to turn them off prior to the upgrade, you're going to want to look in your preferences again -- there are a LOT of new ones, which will have been set to defaults.

If you opted to turn off email notifications after the upgrade, check to ensure that all post notifications are correct in your preferences...and then wait a few days.  It's likely just a matter of the background tasks completing.  They're currently churning through the 2.5 million archived posts -- that process takes a couple of days on its own and needs to complete before things like "rebuilding profile fields" takes place.

Okay. Thanks, Dan.

11 hours ago, Simon said:

I'm telling you that it has almost nothing to do with this site.  The dialog that you're seeing is not generated by this site -- it is generated by your browser.

And I'm telling you that a dialogue that commences with text that reads "http://www.herogames.com wants to send you notifications.... " ... is absolutely the result of something this site is doing ... and it's something the site was not doing before the upgrade because I've made zero changes on my end ... and because the forums portion of this site is the ONLY thing causing said dialogue.

I realize you may not like this fact, but it appears to be an unintended consequence of the upgrade.  The dialogue itself may, indeed, be generated by my browser ... but it's generated in response to something the post-ugrade site is now sending to my browser ... and I'd like to know how to get the site to stop sending whatever it is to my browser.

Hey Dan,

Loving the new site! Did get a surprise when I went to the mobile version and say all the changes.

I did have question though, when I login, I have the "remember me" box ticked yet it doesn't seem to be doing so.  Looks like whenever I close the browser, I get logged out.  Would this be a site issue or a settings issue on my part? Ii'm thinking it's a browser issue but can't seem to locate the setting that causing the problem.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Surrealone said:

And I'm telling you that a dialogue that commences with text that reads "http://www.herogames.com wants to send you notifications.... " ... is absolutely the result of something this site is doing ... and it's something the site was not doing before the upgrade because I've made zero changes on my end ... and because the forums portion of this site is the ONLY thing causing said dialogue.

I realize you may not like this fact, but it appears to be an unintended consequence of the upgrade.  The dialogue itself may, indeed, be generated by my browser ... but it's generated in response to something the post-ugrade site is now sending to my browser ... and I'd like to know how to get the site to stop sending whatever it is to my browser.

Round and round we go.

You are not listening.  So I'll save us both time and frustration:  this "conversation" is over.  You can either read through my responses and take the advice that I gave you, ignore what I've said and simply deal with it, or go away in a huff.

2 hours ago, Vanguard said:

Hey Dan,

Loving the new site! Did get a surprise when I went to the mobile version and say all the changes.

I did have question though, when I login, I have the "remember me" box ticked yet it doesn't seem to be doing so.  Looks like whenever I close the browser, I get logged out.  Would this be a site issue or a settings issue on my part? Ii'm thinking it's a browser issue but can't seem to locate the setting that causing the problem.

Thanks!

Likely a browser issue (in that it's been working well for me on multiple systems and browsers).  Check on cookie settings in particular -- that's what the site will be using for any functionality that spans browser sessions.

There are some security checks in place on the admin side - it doesn't like changing an IP address during a session, so there's the possibility that there's a lower level of that kind of check on the user side of things...but that would only come into play with a change (or changes) in your IP address.  

If you're not seeing the "remember me" functionality working from the same location, then browser settings (particularly in regards to cookie handling) are your best bet.

6 minutes ago, Nolgroth said:

My only "issue" with the site is that where the old "Go to first unread message" link was is a "Start new topic" link instead. I just have to train myself not to click it. I'll also miss that little function. 

As far as everything else, the site seems to be working fine.

Within the thread listing for a forum, if you click on the small dot/star on the left of the thread title you'll be taken to the first unread post in that thread.  The same applies when at the top level of the forums and looking at the fluid view, when looking at the activity feed, or any other area where threads are listed.

Not sure if this is what you were after...but hopefully it helps.

19 minutes ago, zslane said:

Sounds to me like the forum upgrade may have inadvertently exposed a latent Windows 10/Edge bug. If so, then the bug that needs fixing is in Windows 10/Edge, not the forum software.

More likely someone being stubborn and dismissing the browser dialog rather than making a selection...

6 hours ago, Simon said:

Likely a browser issue (in that it's been working well for me on multiple systems and browsers).  Check on cookie settings in particular -- that's what the site will be using for any functionality that spans browser sessions.

There are some security checks in place on the admin side - it doesn't like changing an IP address during a session, so there's the possibility that there's a lower level of that kind of check on the user side of things...but that would only come into play with a change (or changes) in your IP address.  

If you're not seeing the "remember me" functionality working from the same location, then browser settings (particularly in regards to cookie handling) are your best bet.

That's kind of what I thought it was.

Will try and poke around the cookie settings and see if I can find out what's amiss.

Thanks for the help!

Edit: So i checked my cookie settings and everything seems to be correct.  It's just not saving the login info.  

Evening!

My login woes continue. . . 

It seems like it's only happenening here on the hero site and I've looked into my cookie settings and everything seems to be normal. I've even delete them a couple of times to try and fix the issue.  But I'm still being logged out every time I'm closing the browser.

Anyone with any ideas?

I've tried with Edge and Firefox with the same results. So I'm not sure what setting needs to be tweaked but as far as I know, browsers don't share cookie information so I'm at a loss.

Closing the browser entirely changes things -- that's dependent on the system and browser.  Most will clear out all session data...and the days of having a "backdoor" cookie that gets you through the authentication are justifiably gone.

Some browsers will hold onto session data when shutdown/restarted.  This will apply for the duration of the session (30 minutes, typically...and in the case of this site). Close your system and go to bed, you'll have to login again in the morning.

Other browsers will delete session data during their shutdown process -- when restarted, you'll need to login again.

The "remember me" functionality in this case will apply to your user ID.  The password will need to come from your browser's built-in password storage (which is more secure than the alternative).

Hope this helps!

That helps a lot.

I was under the impression that "remember me" applied to keeping me logged in. Not just remembering the user id (which, fyi, it's not doing but that's no big deal).

As long as there's no issues with my system or the site, it's all good.

Thanks a bunch for the assist!! Much appreciated!

I haven't been on in a while but I'm having a really crappy probloem.  I WANT to buy about 60 dollars in books but every time I try to add a book to my cart it says my cart is empty.  Is this a new "Feature" to help us disabled folk not spend money on frivalous things (Like one of the few things I spend money on that isn't needed) or is this just me.  Anyone else having this problem when shopping in the 5th edition section?  I just need 3 more books then I have every 5th edition I can get my hands on.  SO I go to E-bay and find the rest.

3 hours ago, MarPai said:

I haven't been on in a while but I'm having a really crappy probloem.  I WANT to buy about 60 dollars in books but every time I try to add a book to my cart it says my cart is empty.  Is this a new "Feature" to help us disabled folk not spend money on frivalous things (Like one of the few things I spend money on that isn't needed) or is this just me.  Anyone else having this problem when shopping in the 5th edition section?  I just need 3 more books then I have every 5th edition I can get my hands on.  SO I go to E-bay and find the rest.

Just a little snippy there eh?

But no, I can add and remove item's from the cart just fine.  I'd suggest checking to see if you have something running that prevents the website from functioning correctly.  For instance I use Firefox with Script Blocker so I had to tell SB that the HERO store was OK. 

Ah, site upgrade might be the cause of something I jut noted.

Hadn't been on here for months, but just recently I started getting email from here telling me of some of the people I follow posting articles or replying.

We'll see if my latest try on not getting emails works. (Hadn't bothered to scroll further down to note more options, my bad.)

p.s. New version looks good.