Thor: Ragnarok spoiler thread

Bazza

10 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Deleted due to unnecessary provocativeness.

Liar. Everyone knows Canadians are too polite to do provocativeness. ;)

I have a general rule of thumb: If a movie has a stupid thing in it, and is otherwise good, I forgive the stupid thing. There aren't many perfect movies, so I'd never be able to enjoy anything if I wasn't willing to overlook the occasional logical gap or sub-par storytelling technique.

According to interviews with all the major players all they had was a rough outline of a script and they primarily riffed and improv'd their way through the entire shoot.  This was barely a Marvel movie and more a zany, silly space comedy.  It seems pointless to try to pick at something that is akin to Spaceballs or Bill and Ted.

43 minutes ago, Starlord said:

According to interviews with all the major players all they had was a rough outline of a script and they primarily riffed and improv'd their way through the entire shoot.

That's a condemnation, in my book, not a justification. The movie turned out well (overall) despite the lack of planning, writing, or careful development that movies deserve, and everyone involved has surely breathed a heavy sigh of relief at having gotten away with it. Usually when you wing it like that, you end up with something more akin to Justice League. We should all hope and pray Marvel doesn't do it that way ever again.

I have a general rule of thumb: If a movie has a stupid thing in it, and is otherwise good, I forgive the stupid thing.

It depends on the stupid thing but yeah, generally I'll follow that rule too.  I like Raiders of the Lost Ark despite its various plot holes and problems.  You can do something dumb even a few times and if its otherwise entertaining and well done; okay.

Regarding the Quinjet. Funny thing is, I distinctly remember a conversation between Natasha and Fury where he said they found the Quinjet in the ocean or something, but no sign of Banner or the Hulk. I always assumed that one of the Grandmaster's minions (maybe Valkyrie herself, having seen Hulk fight by following Thor) took him to Sakar. Not sure where the Quinjet came from unless Tony let him use it.

38 minutes ago, zslane said:

That's a condemnation, in my book, not a justification. The movie turned out well (overall) despite the lack of planning, writing, or careful development that movies deserve, and everyone involved has surely breathed a heavy sigh of relief at having gotten away with it. Usually when you wing it like that, you end up with something more akin to Justice League. We should all hope and pray Marvel doesn't do it that way ever again.

Second this. 

I must be in the minority but I really liked the first and second Thor movies. This one however, although it had some amusing moments, didn't work for me.

3 hours ago, zslane said:

Marvel hired a director who's known to work that way, and had produced movies which demonstrated that he knows what he's doing, where he wants to go, and how to get there. Sure, it was a gamble to hand him a big-budget effects film, and to take an established character in a new direction; but it was a calculated, considered gamble, and it paid off very handsomely at the box office. Note that I didn't care for Ragnarok myself -- classic comic-book Thor is my favorite superhero -- but a lot of people feel it revitalized the character.