Thor: Ragnarok spoiler thread

Bazza

I loved the movie.

Imagine how awesome the Hulk appearance in the gladiator fight would have been if it had been kept secret.  I don't know if that would have been possible in today's world, and I understand that you need to sell the movie, but if you did not know that it was the Hulk coming out, how would you have reacted?  I'm sure I would have peed myself a little.

Loved Hela.  Loved the way the story ended... unexpected way to end a movie.  I like how Marvel is not just doing the big slugfest conclusions.  I really enjoyed the Dr. Strange "I have come to bargain" and this feels like the same kind of result.

It was good.  I'd put it in the middle of MCU movies thus far - with CA:  Winter Soldier at my top and Iron Man 2 at  the bottom.  I admire the change of direction but there were moments of unabashed goofiness and abject fear from Thor while going for a quick gag that I was jarred out of the movie.  I was particularly glad that Hulk is finally speaking - LONG OVERDUE.  Liked all the new characters.

The after credits scene is potentially very disappointing and threatens to destroy what was accomplished in this movie considering what I've heard about the beginning of Infinity War.

Absolutely loved it.

Favourite single bit being Thor trying to be all "right on sister" and bond with Valkyrie about how cool it is that there are woman warriors.

Also loved Jeff Goldblum as the Grand Master.

Re. Thor moving fast as lightning; Jane Foster did just that in a recent (ish) cameo in Dr. Strange. It was a little bit frightening.

From my FB review right after seeing the movie a few hours ago...

Movie Review: Thor: Ragnarok. This third entry in the Thor franchise is pretty much what the trailers suggested. In tone, this is essentially Guardians of the Galaxy 3. And while the movie IS funny, it takes it a tad too far and starts to devolve into camp. And while campy movies aren’t in and of themselves bad, it really just doesn’t mesh with the basic plot which suggests and has one hoping for something much more serious(which never really... materializes). Goldblum’s Grandmaster and Blanchett’s Hela(who is supposed to be the Asgardian goddess of death) elicit more laughs than anything else....which is a huge disappointment to fans of the original comic book characters. It’s a shame really...as both characters look very good. Karl Urban’s Executioner doesn’t suffer as much from the camp effect, but his character is underdeveloped and again feels like a missed opportunity. (And how have we had three Thor movies with no Enchantress?). The action is good though and Hiddleston is entertaining as always as Loki. Hulk basically steals the movie and overall this feels like another Avengers film. I’ll give it a B as there were too many little things dragging it down to give it an A.

Saw it on the weekend, loved it.

Everyone notices the humour, but I haven't seen too much discussion about the extraordinarily high body count (i.e. the entire Asgardian army plus named characters, plus Asgard plus Odin plus - probably - Surtur and Hela. Plus several Dougs.) Without the lighter moments it would be a VERY dark film indeed. Its a real tribute to Waititi that he threads the needle with such aplomb.

Loved Karl Urban's Skurge. Really, is there any role that man can't nail? The last stand was straight out of Walt Simonson's run on the comic, too.

We all knew Natalie Portman didn't want to come back, but I was a little surprised that Sif was AWOL. However, it turns out that was due to Jamie Alexander having scheduling conflict. Which DOES open the possibility of Sif having been off somewhere else in the universe at the time, and bringing her back to complicate Thor's love life (which would be awesome).

I choose to believe that Sif was off Asgard also trying to hunt down information regarding the Infinity Stones. 

This leaves the possibility that Sif returns in Avengers 3 or Avengers 4 with information about the Infinity Stones and how to defeat Thanos. 

Plus having Sif and Valkyrie on the same team/film/action sequence would be excellent. 

Also, since this Valkyrie is almost officially bisexual (Tessa Thompson played her with that assumption and there's a shot that strongly implies it that didn't make the final cut), there could be a VERY interesting situation between her, Sif and Thor. It would be awesome for Thor to find himself the "plus one" in a Sif/Valkyrie relationship! We know Hemsworth could carry it off. :)

7 minutes ago, mrinku said:

Also, since this Valkyrie is almost officially bisexual (Tessa Thompson played her with that assumption and there's a shot that strongly implies it that didn't make the final cut), there could be a VERY interesting situation between her, Sif and Thor. It would be awesome for Thor to find himself the "plus one" in a Sif/Valkyrie relationship! We know Hemsworth could carry it off. :)

But if we are assuming that then Korgf is gay, or could be according to director, and Loki is gender-fluid (as he has mothered Odin's 8-legged horse).  

10 minutes ago, mrinku said:

IMO you won't see that.  My guess is Thor (and Cap) dies in one of the Infinity War movies and in every talk show I've seen it seems Hemsworth is tired of playing the Thor character (the real reason for the change in direction for this movie).

36 minutes ago, Bazza said:

But if we are assuming that then Korgf is gay, or could be according to director, and Loki is gender-fluid (as he has mothered Odin's 8-legged horse).  

Korg being gay is in the comics, I think. Or at least he seems to have a relationship with another male-presenting alien.

The more recent comics have also had Loki as very gender fluid, including an extended run as female. But as you say, the myths themselves take that to another level :)

Bisexual women is always an easier sell. Marvel have widely moved on in the comics, though. Wiccan and Hulkling are the poster boys there.

1 hour ago, Starlord said:

The script where he gets paid to say 8 lines and then the character dies?  :winkgrin:

Yep, that script. 

Also...Thor: Ragnarok Writer Was Intimidated Writing For Cate Blanchett. Her reputation, not the person, whom the scriptwriter found delightful.

As intimidated as I couldn’t help but be, she was an unbelievably sweet, fun great person to be around…. I don’t want to give up the impression that she’s aloof or intimidating. I was just intimidated on my own.”

57 minutes ago, mrinku said:

Korg being gay is in the comics, I think. Or at least he seems to have a relationship with another male-presenting alien.

The more recent comics have also had Loki as very gender fluid, including an extended run as female. But as you say, the myths themselves take that to another level :)

Bisexual women is always an easier sell. Marvel have widely moved on in the comics, though. Wiccan and Hulkling are the poster boys there.

None of the character's comic counterparts really mean anything as the MCU versions are alternate universe ones. In one universe, Korg maybe gay or not, but int he MCU it can be totally different. To get technical, the mainstream Marvel universe is Earth-616, while the MCU is Earth-199999, so similar, but different. So unless traits from the comics get transferred to the MCU character, the comics character is irrelevant to the MCU character, e.g. Tony Stark's alcoholism.  

I disagree; what happens in the comics matters. Even if they choose not to use a certain thing, or choose between things, it still gets discussed.

The comic continuity has even been borrowing stuff that first appeared in the MCU. It's always an organic process.

On 06/11/2017 at 5:38 AM, drunkonduty said:

Re. Thor moving fast as lightning; Jane Foster did just that in a recent (ish) cameo in Dr. Strange. It was a little bit frightening.

But the music was soothing

and they all started grooving.

Yeah ?

Yeah

Yeah ?

Yeah

And the Man at the back said 'Everyone Attack !'

And they fell into a ballroom blitz !

On 5.11.2017 at 2:04 AM, megaplayboy said:

I enjoyed it very much.  They did rewrite the backstory of Hela, but I was okay with it.  

21 hours ago, Bazza said:

Since we only saw Odin ride a normal-legged horse in all the Films and Hela was Thor Sister (rather then Lokis Daugther), I doubt he got around that much.

He really only embraced the whole "Trickster" thing in Thor 1.

22 hours ago, Bazza said:

I choose to believe that Sif was off Asgard also trying to hunt down information regarding the Infinity Stones. 

This leaves the possibility that Sif returns in Avengers 3 or Avengers 4 with information about the Infinity Stones and how to defeat Thanos. 

Plus having Sif and Valkyrie on the same team/film/action sequence would be excellent. 

I think seeing her being a Valkyrie at least once. But that seems to ahve been an exception to that one Cartoon Series.#

According to the Comics she is often Heimdalls Sister. So for gathering information you would propably send her.

The Film was a important continuation of the Brothers Storyline started in Thor 1 and used through Avengers, Thor 2.

Just two questions I am wondering about:

The ship the Gladiators and later Agardians Escaped in: Was that Skuttlebutt, the ship of Beta Ray Bill?

And what me and my friends talked most about was the (Kree?) Ship that appeared in the 1st After-credits scene. In particular how that will turn out. Basically it builded down to two cases:
1. If they have someone like Thanos abboard, they will likely Capture the Asgardians

2. If not, they are done for. This "Transport" contains Thundergod Thor, Hulk, Loki, Heimdal, a Valkyrie and a whole bunch of Asgardians. So basically Thor just got a ship upgrade.