Thor: Ragnarok spoiler thread

Bazza

As far as the ship the Asgardians are in, it's at least inspired by Beta Ray Bill's one. Word of God from Kevin Feige is that they did consider putting Bill in Ragnarok, but it would have ended up only being a brief cameo so they decided it was better to leave him out altogether and use him later properly. 

The mythology was always cock-a-hoop by Marvel making Loki a son of Odin anyway. Properly he's Odin's blood-brother.

Oh, and while we know why Jamie Alexander actually didn't come back as Sif (scheduling conflict), Word of God from Feigle is that Loki banished her from Asgard to prevent her finding out he was pretending to be Odin.

That would make sense with Sif, as he did the same thing to Heimdall, which is why Skourge is manning the Bifrost.

Saw it today, laughed and loved it. It needed the humor, as said above. This movie would have been very dark without it.

The Tragic Death of Loki play was great. And getting Damon as Loki, Liam Hemsworth to do Thor was even better (I kept thinking, man that actor guy really does look like Thor).

I definitely put it in my top half of Marvel movies, way better then Thor 2. I was amazed that they killed all of the Warriors 3.

On 11/7/2017 at 11:41 AM, mrinku said:

I disagree; what happens in the comics matters. Even if they choose not to use a certain thing, or choose between things, it still gets discussed.

The comic continuity has even been borrowing stuff that first appeared in the MCU. It's always an organic process.

Ah I can see where you are coming from. Fair enough. I can agree with you, in some way. 

In a sense, to an extent, it comes back to personal preference. I can justify some judgements on the grounds that "this characteristic from the comics is not in the film character, i can live with that because i disagree with said characteristic". or 'this characteristic from the comics should be in the film character and the film character is 'wrong'". :D

As an example, some of the ultimate influences  in the film characters rather than the more traditional mainstream influences. (organic web shooters...really? :D )

13 hours ago, Christopher said:

Since we only saw Odin ride a normal-legged horse in all the Films and Hela was Thor Sister (rather then Lokis Daugther), I doubt he got around that much.

He really only embraced the whole "Trickster" thing in Thor 1.

The whole faking your death & impersonating your foster father can be considered "trickster" actions.

13 hours ago, Christopher said:

Just two questions I am wondering about:

The ship the Gladiators and later Agardians Escaped in: Was that Skuttlebutt, the ship of Beta Ray Bill?

That's the Statesman. The pleasure spaceship is the Commodore. Other spaceships are the Kingswood and the Torana.

"You're not taking the Kingswood...I just had it polished." ~ Ted Bullpitt (paraphrased. Inside Aussie joke)

One thing I think they kind of glossed over. Thor told Banner it had been 2 years, but that was in "rest of galaxy time". Grandmaster mentioned that time was different on Sarnak (Loki had been there 2-3 weeks, despite Thor having seen him 5 minutes before), so that 2 years outside would have been very different. Course, it would mean Hulk has been there for perhaps a decade or more.

1 hour ago, slikmar said:

One thing I think they kind of glossed over. Thor told Banner it had been 2 years, but that was in "rest of galaxy time". Grandmaster mentioned that time was different on Sarnak (Loki had been there 2-3 weeks, despite Thor having seen him 5 minutes before), so that 2 years outside would have been very different. Course, it would mean Hulk has been there for perhaps a decade or more.

For all we know that Time Dilation of Loki happened because he was thrown out of the Bifrost a bit earlier, rather then thanks to the Planet.

If there time dilation on that level, it would have been years for Hela.

9 hours ago, Bazza said:

Ragnarok Ending Was About Making Thor ‘Selfless’
https://screenrant.com/thor-ragnarok-ending-infinity-war/

Kevin Feige Confirms [ spoiler ] In the Thor: Ragnarok Credits Scene
https://screenrant.com/thor-ragnarok-post-credits-scene-thanos-infinity-war/

Yep THAT spaceship is Sactuary II, Thanos's ship. 

Reveal hidden contents

Then I definitely don't like what I know about the beginning of Infinity War.

13 hours ago, Bazza said:

Ragnarok Ending Was About Making Thor ‘Selfless’
https://screenrant.com/thor-ragnarok-ending-infinity-war/

Kevin Feige Confirms [ spoiler ] In the Thor: Ragnarok Credits Scene
https://screenrant.com/thor-ragnarok-post-credits-scene-thanos-infinity-war/

Yep THAT spaceship is Sactuary II, Thanos's ship. 

Reveal hidden contents

Apparently they want me to disable my adblocker. So, can't read. But I think the title tells it all. I can live with that, and if he becomes the new Odin (Norse mythology is about coming full circle, iirc) and gives the power of Thor to someone else, would be interesting. I do fully expect at some point to see Steve wield a new version of Mjolnir.

Time perception and passage of time could be all over the shop. There's no clock check with the rest of the MCU between leaving Dr Strange's place onwards:

• Thor and Loki get transported to wherever (and possibly whenever Odin is, but it's still likely to the same time as they left)
  • Hela goes to Asgard; Thor and Loki separately fall off the bridge into timey-wimey spacey-wacey continuum.
  • Hela takes over Asgard. There is NO verification about how long it is from the Asgardian perspective until the Revengers show up. Could be years. Could be hours.
  • Loki arrives at Sakaar
  • Sometime later, Thor arrives at Sakaar
  • From Thor's personal timeline perspective, Sokovia was two years ago when he talks to Banner.
  • Sometime after that, everyone flies into the Devil's Anus and emerges at Asgard. Stuff happens.
  • At some unspecified point after all that, The Statesman encounters the big ship.

1 hour ago, slikmar said:

Apparently they want me to disable my adblocker. So, can't read. But I think the title tells it all. I can live with that, and if he becomes the new Odin (Norse mythology is about coming full circle, iirc) and gives the power of Thor to someone else, would be interesting. I do fully expect at some point to see Steve wield a new version of Mjolnir.

Odin is his name, not a title which ScreenRant makes the false assumption. They should have stated correctly that Thor becomes "Allfather". One can argue that as Odin hanged upside down from the World Tree and cut out his eye to gain his wisdom, Thor received the same wisdom, as alluded to by Odin in the film from experience. That experience is fulfilling the vows Thor made in the opening of the first film to: guard the Nine Realms, preserve the peace, and cast aside all selfish ambition and pledge yourself only to the good of all the Realms. 

1 hour ago, mrinku said:

Time perception and passage of time could be all over the shop. There's no clock check with the rest of the MCU between leaving Dr Strange's place onwards:

• Thor and Loki get transported to wherever (and possibly whenever Odin is, but it's still likely to the same time as they left)
  • Hela goes to Asgard; Thor and Loki separately fall off the bridge into timey-wimey spacey-wacey continuum.
  • Hela takes over Asgard. There is NO verification about how long it is from the Asgardian perspective until the Revengers show up. Could be years. Could be hours.
  • Loki arrives at Sakaar
  • Sometime later, Thor arrives at Sakaar
  • From Thor's personal timeline perspective, Sokovia was two years ago when he talks to Banner.
  • Sometime after that, everyone flies into the Devil's Anus and emerges at Asgard. Stuff happens.
  • At some unspecified point after all that, The Statesman encounters the big ship.

After seeing it twice, the best way for me to make sense of the "plot" it is consider it "a day in the life of Thor". 

Thor also gets rendered unconscious. Could have been out for a while both times (though probably not that long in Scrapper 142's ship, since he woke up before they arrived at HQ). And goodness knows how long that haircut took with him squirming about and squealing like a girl.

57 minutes ago, BarretWallace said:

I heard Odin's speech about the hammer being a focus (rather than a source) for Thor's power, and immediately I thought, "So, Thor just got the experience points to buy off the OIF Limitation on his powers."  Is that wrong?

Well, it certainly was the heaviest Magical Feather ever.

But I think this defies a simple buying off of a limitaiton. He changed all the way from a Hammerwielding Asgardian Melee Warrior to a flying Energy Blaster.