The Reformed not likely to be used continuing NaNoWriMo thread

Hermit

My final official count was 56,050. I slowed down a lot once I hit 50k because I allowed myself to edit and be a bit more selective. This is the first time I met the challenge, and it feels pretty good. It's not a completed story yet;  I'm still not sure how it will end. However, I got more writing done than I honestly thought I could and that is encouraging enough that I intend to finish this book.

• 10 months later...

Well, I got a basic idea for a fantasy novel...

it's about this girl

like, peasant level

and she lives in a miserable crapsack world

run by an evil them

and them keeps secrets and steals power all for themselves so they can oppress and lie to peoples!

And the girl starts out just wanting to avoid a bad marriage, so ends up getting close to thems as haven

but then learns some of them there secrets whats kept

and then the girl learns about the need to find more of the truthiness!

AND then... she discovers the truthiness and decides, despite the danger, that it's better for her, and maybe for others!

So... she does the right thing!

Well, Them don't like those what do the right thing, and the hunt her!

Only. GRRLLL power and resourcefulness and maybe stab stab

and she plants the seed of hope and truth!

It's TOTALLY original!

On 10/25/2018 at 10:44 AM, Hermit said:

Well, I got a basic idea for a fantasy novel...

it's about this girl

like, peasant level

and she lives in a miserable crapsack world

run by an evil them

and them keeps secrets and steals power all for themselves so they can oppress and lie to peoples!

And the girl starts out just wanting to avoid a bad marriage, so ends up getting close to thems as haven

but then learns some of them there secrets whats kept

and then the girl learns about the need to find more of the truthiness!

AND then... she discovers the truthiness and decides, despite the danger, that it's better for her, and maybe for others!

So... she does the right thing!

Well, Them don't like those what do the right thing, and the hunt her!

Only. GRRLLL power and resourcefulness and maybe stab stab

and she plants the seed of hope and truth!

It's TOTALLY original!

Working name of main character Kariwyn

Rather than making her an orphan, she'll have a sizable family, which will be used to explain a multitude of skills that might be of use to her and some of her interests in nature. Father a Hunter. Aunt works with herbs. Older brother apprenticed to a tanner perhaps. Not sure. Mom is mom, which means she cooks, she cleans, and probably knows as much about field dressing a deer as her husband but gets less credit it for it and she gardens. Possible little sister or brother or both. Family is very poor, times are lean. They are also in debt.

She lives in a lush land of wild rivers and green forests but it has been civilized so that the default settings are small hamlets and cities, at least at first- the wild will get more play later.

The authorities include the great guilds, indentured servitude is rampant, think Dickens meets the Waltons. The other power, indeed, arguably the greater power is the Church of the Only. A monotheistic hierarchy with true healing... that's right, like Fantasy RPG clerics.  Not all of the priests have this, only the higher ups, and while those talk a good talk, it seems most of the healing is actually used on those who have coin. That said, there are kindly members of the church too.

Accident happens to father or something else comes up placing family in debt. Kariwyn has a choice, be sold off, or flee to the church hoping to take vows in a nun like fashion. The church is sexist as heck, and women never rise up to the rank of cleric (and quash any rumors that there were ever women granted the power of healing)

she goes to the church...

and while there stumbles onto far more than she thought possible

*End notes for now, all subject to change*