Similarities and Differences between Gnomes and Halflings?

Theophilus Prime

On 11/10/2017 at 7:23 PM, JohnBear said:

You might also remember that JRRT wrote The Hobbit as a bedtime story for his kids. LOTR was written after that because people wanted a sequel to Hobbit. As I remember from his bio, he was quite apologetic to his publisher as LOTR was more of a sequel to Silmarillian than Hobbit. And Silmarillian hadn't even been published; it was just a pile of notes he started putting together whilst recovering in the hospital during WWI.

So my personal guess is that the hobbits were created to help his kids identify with the characters in the book. 

That I believe that the shortness represented the small kindness of people. There is a bunch of symbolism in his works.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 5:26 AM, Vondy said:

Gnomes are Halflings who talk to badgers, squirrels, and such-like.

In our games Gnomes and Halflings have been replaced by 3-foot tall Elves known simply as "smallfolk."

There are no D&D or Tolkein styled Elves. 

I just erase them completely,  dwarves are basically biological golems, and "elves" are just humans who were twisted by the fey in the womb, and are more akin to 1/2 elves I suppose.