I Can Feel You Through The Web

BoloOfEarth

On 11/10/2017 at 6:28 PM, BoloOfEarth said:

My first attempt:

Detect Physical Movement, Sense, Discriminatory, Range, Targeting, 360-degree Arc (37 AP); IAF Fragile Immobile (-1 3/4), Limited Range (20m radius area; -1/4), Not work vs. targets making Stealth / Acrobatics rolls (-1/4), Costs END at Activation (-1/4) (11 RP)

I would allow it depending on an agreement on what that means. 

1) If this is a Per vs Skill roll, I would allow it if the person using the detect took a -2 to the roll.  Then its simply a requires a roll -1 per 20 active skill vs skill equivalent.

or 

2) If this is simply a skill roll on the target side, then a target, so long as they make a roll with no penalties based on range or the perception bonuses of the detector, is immune to the detect AND the detecter still needs to make an appropriate PER roll.

Note that this my two cents.

On 11/13/2017 at 9:09 AM, BoloOfEarth said:

Perhaps I'm wrong, but having both IAF Fragile and Physical Manifestation felt like double-dipping to me.

FYI: I ran the adventure last night where the heroes had to rescue hostages / potential ritual sacrifices from an area where the giant spiders had set up their detection web.  The heroes started out with a 1d6 KA Indirect AoE 4m radius fire blast to clear a space for them to teleport into, just in case.  (As one player put it, "it's like a stage magician -- a puff of smoke, and poof!  We appear!")  Only one heroine (Maker) stayed invisible during the fight, and she made Acrobatics rolls while she moved around.  Only missed one roll, and by the time a spider got close enough to web her, she had already moved elsewhere (making her Acrobatics roll that time). 

Overall, it added nicely to the whole encounter, without being a horrible pain for the players.  Thanks again to everybody for their input.

I don't know.  Depends on the definition.  If the IAF is defined as the source of the web and the Physical manifestation is the web itself, that's fine.  Thus you can burn the web and stop the current detection but the hero could always make another with the IAF.  Or you can break the focus and prevent the web from functioning and/or its re-creation.

If, its both applying to the web itself, I'd agreed its double dipping.

On 11/14/2017 at 5:39 PM, dsatow said:

I would allow it depending on an agreement on what that means. 

1) If this is a Per vs Skill roll, I would allow it if the person using the detect took a -2 to the roll.  Then its simply a requires a roll -1 per 20 active skill vs skill equivalent.

or 

2) If this is simply a skill roll on the target side, then a target, so long as they make a roll with no penalties based on range or the perception bonuses of the detector, is immune to the detect AND the detecter still needs to make an appropriate PER roll.

Note that this my two cents.

It was #2 of your options above.  If the target made a straight (no penalty) Acrobatics roll while moving through the area, no detection was possible.  If she missed the Acrobatics roll, the spider made a PER roll to detect her. 

As it turns out, even though Maker was able to move (with a successful Acrobatics roll) before the spider got close enough to attack, one of her teammates (Nexus) had also moved into the general area where Maker had previously tripped a web line.  Even though the spider's AoE cone webbing missed Maker, it still got Nexus, so it wasn't a complete loss.  :)

I know this thread (pardon the pun) has run its course, but I've still been thinking about other ways of making this ability. So here is another way that might work:

Detection Webs:  +6 PER with Normal Touch, 100m area (+1) (12 Active Points); Physical Manifestation (-1/4), Conditional Power Can be avoided by a successful Acrobatics or Contortionist roll (-1/2), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4)

This is the most "realistic" version of the ability. The Character (Spider) has to make the webs first (thus the cost END to activate), then if something touches one of the webs it feels the touch and it gets +6 to its PER check to notice and locate the intruder.