How to Teleport a target out of armor?

Knightgoblin

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dispel is the cleanest option to my mind. The power isn't destroyed - they can potentially put it on again.

If you also want the target moved somewhere, you'll need to link it with a Teleport UOO. Teleporting the armour off the target could be done with just Dispel.

13 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Transform armored target to unarmored (armor nearby): Minor.  Also an option.  If a focus is inacessible (as a suit of armor would be) I would rule that you cannot simply teleport it away.

Yeah technically you can’t remove an OIF but you can damage it. (I believe though in one of my martial arts books there is a Dispel Armor Power).However considering the cost involved, I’d allow it.  FWIW though, the transform should be Major not minor, imo.

Ok I believe why you can Dispel Armor is because Dispel is an attack Power.  The words of can’t remove armor is with Disarm to mean that as a normal means of removing something in combat is undoable. The problem I have with that is that in some instances of both cartoon and comic books, items which would normally described as OIF being removed during combat. The best e ample of this was an old James Bond movie where during a free fall action scene Bond fights a bad guy and removes his parachute to wear (he had none) and the poor guy falls to his death.

First, what version of Champions are we talking about? 6th edition doesn't have Armor as a power anymore per se.  Even so, I find the Dispel vs Armor to be flawed in its' attempt to create the effect of teleporting someone out of their armor. Power Armor can be built so many different ways, not just with using the old power Armor. Assuming it's used, Dispel vs Armor feels more like someone creating a hole in the armor temporarily to pull the person through the hole - an interesting attack power but not the effect wanted.

I think Teleport UOO as as attack, possibly with Indirect, would be more accurate. I also think possibly a linked enhanced sense to detect the person inside the armor might be needed since, in general, you can't see the target inside.

Since the target likely has other powers on the armor besides Armor I don't think Dispel could ever really get someone 'out of' their armor.

A focus isn't the same as linked, after all - if you have Armor (15/15) with IAF (Power armor) and Chest Beam  (IAF Power Armor) there's nothing in the rules that would stop them from blasting you with the chest beam after you 'took their armor off' with dispel (unlike Linked - if the chest beam was linked to the Armor it couldn't be used as long as the Armor power was unable to be used).

Sensors, jet pack, etc... all components that could be part of the same focus.

To get all of those I think you'd need a Dispel with expanded effect to get the 'power armor' or 'technological' SFX.

But let's step back for a second and say 'why'?

A 60 point dispel shouldn't be able to remove  a greater amount of points of overall power  from a target, ever (the hero might have 300 points of powers in that power armor):  It's a severely unbalanced trade.

A Usable as Attack 3 meter teleport combined with a penetrating targeting sense is even worse.

I think Transform, under the section on adding or removing powers' is about the closest one can get to this effect - and the high cost makes it the only way that *should* be able to pull this off.

Yeah, points are going to make the thing impractical for most power armour supers. Dispel to make the armour fall off or move two metres to the left is probably only practical for heroic level stuff.

As far as terminology goes, old edition Armor is the same power as default 6e Resistant Protection, so that matters not.

Has anyone mentioned Mind Control to make the target take their suit off yet?

17 minutes ago, Ninja-Bear said:

I would into Drain. Drain can affect Body. Mutlipowers and Unified are considered one power for the purpose of Draining. An object drained to zero is “broken”. In this case teleported off.

You still run into the issue of Drain vs the Resistant Protection but not the other powers bought through the suit. Dispel and Drain aren't much different for the purpose of this discussion, though if the effect doesn't damage the suit, Dispel seems better. Supress might also be worth considering.

Both can be justified to target the Resistant Defense using other special effects (magically making the suit transparent to damage; ripping great holes in the carapace; putting the outer shell out of phase with this dimension etc). None of that has to care about the other suit powers, while removing it does.

Of course, if all the suit powers are bought with Unified Power, Drain and Supress work on all of them at once.

And let me throw out this idea. Even if the rules don’t explicitly state this, I can see the argument made that no matter what, all you should have to Dispel/Drain/other should be Armor only if all the other powers also have the focus limitation-armor. I mean it is a limitation after all. :P And for clarity I’m referencing Powered Armor like Defender’s.