Teleportation, Desolidification and escaping bonds

feggula

Quick question,

In a superhero campaign, if the hero is tied to a chair, can teleportation or desolidification be used to get out of the bonds?  Looking at Champions Complete I get that teleportation probably could because you can choose to leave personal items behind (you would just leave the bonds behind), but what about desolidification?  It says that it works on movement, but when you're restrained, you're not moving.  

What do people do with this?

It affects movement but isn't classified as a movement power so I feel you don't need to be moving to use Desolidify - it's even on the list of actions you can Abort to Defensively, where as moving isn't: I think it's safe for ghosts and holograms can buy it to be persistent and inherent without having to spend eternity running laps around the gym. 

'Phasing' through bonds is a classic aspect of the power (and the power is worthy of the big ol' stop sign beside it).

Tying someone to a chair is effectively an Entangle employed against a given character -- one that should have appropriate advantages and limitations for whatever form the Entangle's bonds take (i.e. duct tape? rope? hand cuffs? Spider Man's webbing?).

Escaping said Entangle with Desolidification or Teleportation should absolutely be possible unless:

1. The Entangle is purchased with the Cannot Be Escaped with Teleportaion (+1/4) advantage and/or the Affects Desolid (+1/2) advantage
  2. The SFX and/or limitations on the Desolidification or Teleport powers dictate they should not be usable to escape the specific Entangle (given its definition, special effects, advantages, and limitations) ... and the GM rules as such (As an example: Desolidification that doesn't work against extremely dense materials ... and the person is bound to the chair using special handcuffs made of Bogonite, known for its extreme density in a lightweight package)

• 3 months later...

I would also add that it depends upon the SFX and limitations around the teleport and desolid powers as well.  If activation requires gestures or incantations (power derives from magic), then being tied to a chair and/or gagged could prevent their use.  If no such limitations exist, then the power simply works, and the chair is easily escaped by the character.

In a superhero campaign, if the hero is tied to a chair, can teleportation or desolidification be used to get out of the bonds?

In any campaign, unless the bonds are bought to block teleportation and to affect desolidification, then yes, they are freed.  The special effects require those advantages to negate someone else's superpowers.  Hero System Rules, page 216:

To escape an Entangle, an Entangled character must either

• do sufficient BODY damage (with one or more attacks) to exceed the Entangle’s defenses and reduce its BODY to 0;
  • use a Power that allows him to overcome the Entangle’s effects (such as Desolidification or Teleportation); or
  • find some other appropriate method of escape based on the special effect of the Entangle (for example, using Contortionist to get out of handcuffs).

Page 218 in the "advantages" section list ways to stop someone from leaving an entangle with those powers.

On 11/28/2017 at 3:30 AM, feggula said:

Quick question,

In a superhero campaign, if the hero is tied to a chair, can teleportation or desolidification be used to get out of the bonds?  Looking at Champions Complete I get that teleportation probably could because you can choose to leave personal items behind (you would just leave the bonds behind), but what about desolidification?  It says that it works on movement, but when you're restrained, you're not moving.  

What do people do with this?

Its been mostly answered, but there is one other esoteric way desol or teleportation could be blocked and that is if the restraining item also has a similar ability and the GM rules that because of this, you don't get free.  I have only seen this once since 1985 (the year I started playing Champions) and it was due to a desol character grabbed by another character who also had a similar desol.  The grabber just used a delayed phase to desol with the grabbie.  There were a lot of conditions the GM had to have to do this (the grabbie didn't abort immediately when grabbed, they shared the same special effect of desol, the grabbie went before the grabber on the trip chart, etc.)