2018 World Cup

Cancer

Unlikely.  Were it not for Russia's current dictator, I would agree that they *are* a worthy World Cup host.  Russia is the largest soccer-playing nation which has yet to host a tournament, and their teams are debatably near the top of the second ten internationally.  Home teams always overperform in the tournament (well, excepting cases like Brazil 2014 where the hosts were expected to win it all), and I think exery Cup host team ever has made it through to the group stage, except South Africa, IIRC.  And Russia got the benefit of an extraordinarily easy group draw.  

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Cancer said:

Unlikely.  Were it not for Russia's current dictator, I would agree that they *are* a worthy World Cup host.  Russia is the largest soccer-playing nation which has yet to host a tournament, and their teams are debatably near the top of the second ten internationally.  Home teams always overperform in the tournament (well, excepting cases like Brazil 2014 where the hosts were expected to win it all), and I think exery Cup host team ever has made it through to the group stage, except South Africa, IIRC.  And Russia got the benefit of an extraordinarily easy group draw.  

*sigh* One can still dream, right?

So I was really disappointed when the US team decided not to show up for the qualifiers and ensured we get to sit out of the Cup.  And that left me with who to follow this time.  

So my choices are Panama and Sweden.  Why?  Román Torres and Gustav Svensson.   

They play for Sounders FC and are someone I know and can cheer on.....

Opening match, Russia vs Saudi Arabia.  Russia score in minute 12, but they lose perhaps their best player (Dzagoev) to hamstring injury in minute 24.  Not halftime yet as I post this.

EDIT: 2-0 at the half.

EDIT: after two goals in extra time :rolleyes:, final score, 5-0.

Executive decision: staying home and watching games today.  Morocco-Iran just started.  Morocco attacking relentlessly.

EDIT:  Chaos around Iran's 6-yard line in the 19th minute, but finally it is cleared away.

Moroccan keeper makes two saves in th 43rd minute to stave off a dangerous attack from Iran late in the first half.

0-0 at the half.

Morocco had the better game for the first 20 minutes, after which things stabilized and Iran had better chances, but they tended to bunch up too much in the attacking end, literally getting in each other's way to spoil one chance.

EDIT: An own goal on a setpiece play 4 minutes into stoppage time gives Iran 1-0 win.  

Well, it was clear that their match strategy was to clog Morocco's attack, and hope to get lucky late.  They carried it out effectively (rather better than Morroco executed theirs).  To win on an own goal is luck, but luck is the residue of design.

The gloating crossing over from sport to politics and back is inevitable, but not important to me.  Frankly, I was rooting for Iran in the match, though that was something I chose while watching; I really didn't have a dog in the fight.  They definitely won the chessgame portion of the contest, and I admire the team that does that.

Spain-Portugal starts in 20 minutes, today's headline match.

Frankly, if there is any country that should be ecstatic that USA are not in this World Cup, it is Portugal.  USA all but knocked them out in the group stage in 2014, and what happened in 2002 has to figure prominently in Portugal's Wall of Shame.

Again, I don't have a dog in this fight, but Ronaldo has an established history of being a nothing in the World Cup, and I think it is his doom to repeat that, and Portugal have little hope if he is again a nothing.

EDIT:  And Portugal up in the 3rd minute after a cheap PK given on Ronaldo's dive.

Costa equalizes in the 23rd on an individual effort, arguably keyed off his foul on first getting the ball.  

Chaos a couple minutes later in front of the Portuguese goalmouth, but an obvious offsides situation cuts the discussion short.

EDIT: ends at 3-3, with Ronaldo scoring all three for Portugal; the last was the best, a free kick impossibly placed in the 88th minute.

He does that.

Pity the Aussies could not hold a point against France.  Worthy effort, but not quite enough.

Meanwhile, Messi could not do a Ronaldo, i.e., score on a free kick in stoppage time to give his team a better result.

The other real World Cup games today are cable channel only, so I'm down to working on my electronic football orders as the league is about to go into its summer break.  MOO won 2-0 today, our backup keeper (#1 was serving the first half of a suspension) overperformed against a HEL team forced to compensate for a suspension-gutted defense.

2 hours ago, death tribble said:

Mexico beats Germany.

Here we go, here we go, here we go !

Legatus and Der Roter Baron will not be pleased

I admit I'm pulling for Germany myself.  That being said, the idea of Mexico winning the whole thing is rather appealing.  Just imagine how certain Americans might react.

9 minutes ago, Twilight said:

I admit I'm pulling for Germany myself.  That being said, the idea of Mexico winning the whole thing is rather appealing.  Just imagine how certain Americans might react.

React?  Just like anyone else. Projecting a little?

If Mexico wins they will win.  It will be great for their League and Clubs.  Just like if Germany wins. 

As for Americans, they either don't follow soccer at all, or if they do they have teams they root for like anyone. 

As for WC2018, the USMNT decided to not show up this year through lack luster and generally poor playing.  Hopefully, from my perspective, they will get their act together by the next Cup.  If not, well there it is.