Character Help? Making a Giles from Buffy like character.

MrWigggles

Heya, 

SO was I curious if maybe I could get some help with making a character, to get something to go on. We're using the Savage World's Ripper setting. Which is this late 19th century pulp, gothic adventure horror setting. Mostly in the UK, but not only in the UK. We're part of the Ripper organization, and we fight monsters, and beg for money. 

The GM gave us 125pts, with 50pts in Complication which we must take. 20 points is already tied into being Hunted by the Rippers bad dudes, 'The Cabal'.

My concept, is a Giles from Buffy the Vampire Slayer tv show. A support character. So I was picturing the character as Primary, knowledge skills, and information getting. I was also picturing them haveing a very strong standing in the international Ripper organization. With some fighting. And also healing as a strong secondary ability. 

So Primary: Knowing Stuff and getting to know stuff: Secondary: Organization standing and contacts and healing. Tritionary combat. In particular, melee, with Ripper the ripper claws. Forearm attached Wolverwine claws. 

We already have a very focus Social character, and two combat characters. But think everyone is going to need a bit of combat. Though I was looking at Tactics and Teamwork, to maybe using that to be supportive in combat without in the fray. I dont know. Combat is fun. Stabbing monsters. 

There is the ability to have powers. The framing for the Ripper setting, is that their Monster Parts grafted into you. 

And the other GM notes on CG:

Characteristics

PD and ED: Cannot be purchase - gear / magic only

Skills: No Skill CAP directly, your maxima will cap at 13-

CSL: Not restricted but CV's are capped 7 from all sources

DC: Max is 8 from all sources/maneuvers

AP: 40

Magic: 

Must have the magic skill to learn/use spells

3cp for base INT roll 2cp +1 This can be the one 16- skill

Requires Roll limiation - 1/4 less limitation

---Must have the 0 Limitation "only make one" for activation roll

---Must have the 1/2 less limitation "-1 10 AP" modifers

Must use END (1 per 10 AP) - cannot AVD it off.

Must either use "Gestures" or "Incatations" modifers

Must use side effects modifers - see table

Complications:

No more then 25cp per complication

Powers:

No Stop Sign or Exclmation powers, AP max at 40

Powers are subject to GM approval

Powers are only gained by Rippertech or Magic

Ripper tech must have -1 worth of limtations

Campaign Specific Skills:

PS: Ripper Tech

SS: Ripper Tech

KS: Ripper Tech

PS: Ripper Organization

KS: Ripper Organization\

Um. Thanks for any help or interest. I havent made too many Hero characters. 

Oh crap. Right. I forgot to include that. Sixth Edition. And in cannon Yes, the Rippers were founded by Jack the RIpper and Van Hellsing. Jack, went nutso, grafting monster parts into himself, and then went like, "I really need hooker organs." 

Edited by MrWigggles

11 minutes ago, MrWigggles said:

Oh crap. Right. I forgot to include that. Sixth Edition. And in cannon Yes, the Rippers were founded by Jack the RIpper and Van Hellsing. Jack, went nutso, grafting monster parts into himself, and then went like, "I really need hooker organs." 

..but apparently not in the usual sense.

As far as the character goes, I'd think about various skills/powers to determine a threat's weaknesses, even up to Armour Piercing/Penetrating as independent advantages. Maybe even something that Affects Desolid (for ghosts and the like).

One more question: Does the GM expect people to buy the ritualistic spells or can anyone do them for free?  Some GMs will allow ritualistic spells, like the detection spells Willow used to be just skills while combat magic, like the TK are paid in points.

8 hours ago, MrWigggles said:

Whats the point of the Skill Enchancer: Contacts? If I am reading it correctly, it lets me by contacts at 1cp but they're 11-. Though if I wanted a Organization level contant, then its discount doesnt do much?

First, I think you are talking about Well Connected.  It drops the cost of every contact no matter the scope by one point.  So yes, unless you buy at least 3+ contacts, it isn't very useful.

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 4:29 AM, MrWigggles said:

So Primary: Knowing Stuff and getting to know stuff

Campaign Specific Skills:

PS: Ripper Tech

SS: Ripper Tech

KS: Ripper Tech

PS: Ripper Organization

KS: Ripper Organization\

Consider the Skill Enhancers Scholar, and Scientist; maybe also Jack of All Trades. These will make some of the Skills you will want cheaper.

Suggestions:
KS: Known Weaknesses of Monsters

SS: Teratopsychology (psychology of monsters)

Secondary: Organization standing and contacts and healing. 

Don't neglect to take the First Aid Skill, called Paramedics.  A Healing Spell may be in order as well.

Tritionary combat. In particular, melee, with Ripper the ripper claws. Forearm attached Wolverwine claws. 

I think you mean "tertiary."

Take the Combat Luck Talent.

Are "ripper claws" something grafted in, or a worn piece of equipment? Either way, do they come for free, is there a standard write up you are supposed to buy, or do you get to design them yourself?

Either way, you should probably get a Martial Art with using them.

Maybe something like this:

Ripping!

Martial Block:  1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort

Counterstrike:  1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Weapon +2 DC Strike, Must Follow Block

Reversal:  var Phase, -1 OCV, -2 DCV, 25 STR to Escape; Grab Two Limbs

Offensive Strike:  1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, Weapon +4 DC Strike

Weapon Element:  Default Element: Ripper Claws

Oh, and don't forget to TAKE THE COMBAT LUCK TALENT.

To be continued

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary ate the rest of the post and I have to get it to cough everything up now.....

Characteristics

PD and ED: Cannot be purchase - gear / magic only

Seriously? That's just bizarre. I can't imagine what his purpose is, unless possibly deliberately trying to get all the player characters killed.

If this extends to not allowing the Combat Luck Talent, you MUST, no two ways about it, MUST get a good defensive spell that provides PD and ED. Preferably that you can cast on everyone else in addition to yourself. Either that, or get yourself some protective "Ripper Tech" like "torso covered in Troll hide/Dragon scales/WhateverTheHeck." Are you using Hit Locations?

I hope you're up against some wimpy monsters.....

Does he realize that a perfectly ordinary untrained person using the Doge manuever is at Defensive Combat Value of 6?? And his absolute upper limit is  7? Don't even bother taking Martial Dodge - you won't get full benefit anyway because even if you have no Combat Skill Levels and left your DCV trait at 3, you still bust his cap!

If your INT is 18, any INT based Skill will hit his limit automatically, too.

Magic: 

Must have the magic skill to learn/use spells

3cp for base INT roll 2cp +1 This can be the one 16- skill

Requires Roll limiation - 1/4 less limitation

---Must have the 0 Limitation "only make one" for activation roll

---Must have the 1/2 less limitation "-1 10 AP" modifers

Must use END (1 per 10 AP) - cannot AVD it off.

Must either use "Gestures" or "Incatations" modifers

Must use side effects modifers - see table

Powers:

No Stop Sign or Exclmation powers, AP max at 40

Powers are subject to GM approval

Powers are only gained by Rippertech or Magic

Ripper tech must have -1 worth of limtations

It should probably go without saying that you need the magic Skill at the max.

I don't know for sure what "cannot AVD it off" means. I suspect it means "Can't take the Reduced END Advantage."

Some suggestions:

Ripper Tech: "I've had Transfusions of Troll Blood" (or other appropriate monster) :  (Total: 24 Active Cost, 11 Real Cost) Regeneration (1 BODY per Minute), Can Heal Limbs (19 Active Points); Does Not Work On Some Damage (Fire and Acid; -1/2), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2) (Real Cost: 9) <b>plus</b> +5 REC (5 Active Points); Does Not Work On Some Damage (Fire and Acid; -1/2), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2) (Real Cost: 2)

Ripper Tech: "Skin Grafts from a ________":  (Total: 25 Active Cost, 11 Real Cost) Resistant Protection (5 PD/5 ED) (15 Active Points); Always On (-1/2), Half Mass (-1/2), Unified Power (-1/4) (Real Cost: 7) <b>plus</b> +5 PD (5 Active Points); Linked (Resistant Protection; -1/2), Unified Power (-1/4), Nonpersistent (-1/4) (Real Cost: 2) <b>plus</b> +5 ED (5 Active Points); Linked (Resistant Protection; -1/2), Unified Power (-1/4), Nonpersistent (-1/4) (Real Cost: 2)

This adds -+10 PD and ED, half of it Resistant, but also constitutes 14 kilograms of encumbrance that cannot be gotten rid of.

Analyze:  Magic 13-

Not only will this help you figure out magic items or spells you encounter, you can use it as a "supercomplementary" Skill to your own Magic Skill: first roll Analyze and then add the amount you make it by to your Magic Skill roll.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says with Side Effects, magic may not be worth it after all....

So when we were playing this in Savage World, the monsters were all very tough. I dont have system mastery enough over Heroes to really judge how combat-ey we can be.  So he might be trying to preserve the loopsided battles between the Rippers and monsters.

As for the Ripper Claws. They are a extranious weapon. It has a long thick leather half sleeve and straps, with a leather sleave over the top of the hand and strap over the inside grip, with three long strudy claws about equal length to the forearm. In Savage World, beside offering +1 parry (defensive bonus), also couldnt be disarm with, being literally disarm. 

I was looking into a healing spell, but I couldnt find a stock one. I like the concept of the troll blood thing, with it granting regneration through active concentration.

So what would the spell version of Analyze do over the skill itself?

8 hours ago, MrWigggles said:

So when we were playing this in Savage World, the monsters were all very tough. I dont have system mastery enough over Heroes to really judge how combat-ey we can be.  So he might be trying to preserve the loopsided battles between the Rippers and monsters.

As for the Ripper Claws. They are a extranious weapon. It has a long thick leather half sleeve and straps, with a leather sleave over the top of the hand and strap over the inside grip, with three long strudy claws about equal length to the forearm. In Savage World, beside offering +1 parry (defensive bonus), also couldnt be disarm with, being literally disarm. 

I was looking into a healing spell, but I couldnt find a stock one. I like the concept of the troll blood thing, with it granting regneration through active concentration.

So what would the spell version of Analyze do over the skill itself?

Can you tell me about the Side Effects? I could write up a Healing spell but not without understanding that aspect of it.

I wasn't proposing a "spell version of Analyze."  I was proposing an Analyze Spell Skill.  I WILL propose a "spell version of Analyze" once I know how these Side Effects work; it will be Analayze: Monster and will be Usable by Others (Nearby) and the point will be to let your whole team get the benefit and not just you.

5 hours ago, MrWigggles said:

What is the magic skill? @.@ I'm not seeing anything that says its the magic skill. 

It's under "Power" Skill. Take the Power Skill, identify it as "Magic."

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary suggests some Skill Levels with a Limitation "Only to counter Active Point Penalties."

I never really watched Buffy.  He's the older guy who stays in the library, right?  But as I understand it, you want a character who is not specialized in combat, but who supports the rest of the group?  Well there are different ways to do that.

First thing though, you're probably going to want a lot of skills.  Load up on as many background skills relevant to the campaign as you can.  If a weird creature shows up that can't be killed by normal weapons, you'd be the person they'd turn to to figure out what to do next.  So having "Knowledge Skill: Ancient Egyptian creatures" would be your guy's job.  Talk to the GM about this, because you don't want to spend half your points on skills that never come up.  There's no point in taking 15 different knowledge skills about monsters from all over the world if all you're going to do is fight vampires.

Maybe you want to be some kind of ritual mage.  Does your character dig through old magic books to find the spell that stops the bad guy?  While everyone else is out fighting, are you doing research in the library trying to understand this ancient Sumerian text?  Talk to your GM about that as well.  There are way too many ways to do magic in a game for us to build it for you without knowing what your GM expects.

Yea. Buffy in the show, was part of the 'The Watchers' an international, old organization that among other things supports 'The Slayer' a typical chosen one to fight vampires. They have equipment, and help with figuring monsters, the machincations of monsters and helping the slayer figurng out their powers and practice.

So attach below is a draft of the character. Its absent Complications and has 18 points unspent, reserved spells. From what I can find, I should be able to make an okay healing spell with 10 pts. And might try to wrangle a defensive spell with the other 8.

I honestly have no idea how good this character is. Most of my points are in Skills. I can see some skills, I can take off, which might require the removable of the Skill Enhancer. As it seems to me, that its only worthwhile to get the Skill Enhancer if you're going to get at least 4 skills of that group.

Edwin Abbot Abbot Draft.pdf

Some quick observations:

Your SPD is 2. Raise it to 3 unless your intention is for this character never to fight at all. SPD of 2 is for noncombatants. Once you raise SPD to 3, you can also shave a few points by "selling back" some Running. If you have SPD 3 and Running 8 you are still moving just as quickly as if you had SPD 2 and Running 12. I suggest Running in an odd number, so you catch the break on the half-move (half-moves are important, because you can half move and attack or half move and dodge but if you full move that's all you do - make a full moave and that's your phase.)

Your DEX is 15 and EGO is 15 and INT is 20. The "breakpoints" come at numbers ending in 3 or 8; that is, if your INT was 18 you would have all the advantages of an INT of 20 but 2 pts cheaper. A DEX of 13 gets you almost all the advantages of a DEX of 15.

Your PRE is 10. Expect to spend a lot of time cowering ineffectively from the terrifying monsters, unless the guy running the game has not yet discovered how to make PRE attacks.

You spend points on END. Unless you have some very good reason for doing so, these are almost certainly wasted points. The starting allotment of END is usually plenty for a heroic character.

Your single biggest purchase is 24 pts sunk into a Contact. There are almost certainly better places to spend those points.

You have a lot of Skills listed that cost 2 pts that should cost 3. Magic Casting is listed at 8 and should be 9.  You do have a lot of the right Skills for the kind of character you describe - Deductions, Criminology, Forensic Medicine, etc. But you have one "Analyze" skill left unspecified. Analyze what??

I would probably not spend so many points on the Money perk but I don't know what it will get you in your game.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary calls Heeeyyyyy, Abbooooottttttt!

So I know that Lucius said that having Int at 18 would get me at 13- for most of my Int skills. Is that because of Rounding? From reading it straight 9+Int/5 And 18/5 is 3.6. So does that get rounded to +4?

And for the Power: Magic Casting. The GM sheet for charater generation, said that it was an Int Roll. So I included my the Skill Enchancer for Int skills. 

And so there my reading, had my thinking there is a Generic Anaylze skill, and then I can buy into specialized Anaylze as a seperate skills. So Anaylze is always specialize? 

For Money:

CP     Money Per Year    Per Week

1.       £1000                     £19
  2.       £2000                     £38
  3.       £3000                     £58
  4.       £4000                     £77
  5.       £5000                     £96
  6.       £10000                  £192
  7.       £20000                  £385
  8.       £30000                  £577
  9.       £40000                  £769
  10.       £50000                  £962

So for when we were playing this in Savage WOrld. Money was a real problem. Everything is so expensive and you only get money IC once a month.And that batch of PC, before they all died starving in the desert, didnt quite have the skills to court rich folks for money.

Edited by MrWigggles
Included Money table

He has a lot of regular skills at 2 pts (Analyze x2, Criminology, Cryptography, Forensic Medicine, Deduction, Paramedics).  Enhancers of Jack of all trades (only affects PS), Scientist (only affect SS), and Scholar (only affects KS).

I think magic casting should be 9 points too.  The thing is, if you drop the Int to 18, you get the same roll. 

Keep only one of the analyzes, drop INT to 18, and correct the above costs and you still come out 1 pip ahead.  I disagree with Lucius' reasoning on some of the stat drops, but as a starting character he has a valid point.  A Dex of 15 is only really useful for going first up in the Dex chart.  An Ego of 15 is a little different, depending on the genre.  If the GM has monsters using mental entangles, a 15 EGO is useful for the 3d6 to break out.  Some GMs also will all the use of EGO against PRE attacks(6e2p136), another useful feature.

I also disagree with only 20 END.  If you are smacking things with say a sword or club, you are using strength.  Most heroic level games make strength cost 1 end per 5 STR used.  If you do a half move, that's a 1 end minimum cost.  So at speed 3, if you half move and strike 3 times, you've spent 9 end.  You regain 4 (which you might want to buy up to 5) with recovery.  In low speed turns, turns happen often, so you'll last maybe 3 turns before you're exhausted.  This doesn't include pushing or spells.  It only cost 2 points to go up to a 30, so I would suggest 30.

I'd suggest also getting more breadth as a starting character than several specific skills.  Yes, having KS: ripper organization, KS: ripper tech, KS: fellow rippers, PS ripper organization(I assume you just mean the profession of ripper), and SS ripper tech can be useful.  But unless most of your adventures are inside a ripper base, it might be better to just buy KS: Ripper Organization and buy other skills like KS: Legends and Lore, KS: Mystic Artifacts, KS: Other Occultists, SS: Medicine, KS: Religion.

If you are making Giles, to be honest, Giles doesn't access the Watchers all that often and they usually have things for him to do.  I would get rid of the contact or make the contact a single person (his best bud in the organization).  You could even make the person a DNPC with useful skills.

You could also do the following trick.  Giles has some knowledge in his head but not everything memorized.  He has his own person books/library which he consults.  You can buy these books as OAF, extra time, only in library, skills or levels.  His personal refernce books.

You should also probably get WF: Small arms and maybe WF: blades.

Well, I'm not trying to make an exact Giles copy, just his role in the monster fighting genre. And we end up doing a lot of travelI wanted the Contact to be the entire organization, so we can get support, on some level, where ever we go. I'm also throwing in some stuff for the real life person, Edwin Abbot Abbot. My SO thought up this interesting Consequence, and that made me think of the author of Flatworld.

So how would I construct his personal referneces? It would be a Power? Something else I'm a wii bit lost on, is just general equipment too. 

1 hour ago, dsatow said:

He has a lot of regular skills at 2 pts (Analyze x2, Criminology, Cryptography, Forensic Medicine, Deduction, Paramedics).  Enhancers of Jack of all trades (only affects PS), Scientist (only affect SS), and Scholar (only affects KS).

Oops. Yes. These need to be fixed.

3 hours ago, assault said:

He's using Skill Enhancers.

He's trying to, but seems to think one of them gives a break on ALL INT based Skills.

2 hours ago, MrWigggles said:

So I know that Lucius said that having Int at 18 would get me at 13- for most of my Int skills. Is that because of Rounding? From reading it straight 9+Int/5 And 18/5 is 3.6. So does that get rounded to +4?

And for the Power: Magic Casting. The GM sheet for charater generation, said that it was an Int Roll. So I included my the Skill Enchancer for Int skills. 

The good news is, yes, you always round in the character's favor. The bad news is, there IS no "Skill Enahncer for INT Skills." There is a Skill Enhancer for Knowledge Skills and a Skill Enhancer for Science Skills.

And so there my reading, had my thinking there is a Generic Anaylze skill, and then I can buy into specialized Anaylze as a seperate skills. So Anaylze is always specialize? 

Yes Analyze is always to analyze something specific, and allow me to repeat the suggestion of an Analyze Monster Skill.

Because if you use the Analyze Skill in combat against something and make the roll by 3, you gat a +1 DCV against it for that encounter. If you make the roll by half you get the equivalent of 2 Overall Skill Levels to use against it that encounter. Don't forget to ask to use your Knowledge Skill: Monsters as a complementary Skill to it too.

For Money:

CP     Money Per Year    Per Week

1.       £1000                     £19
  2.       £2000                     £38
  3.       £3000                     £58
  4.       £4000                     £77
  5.       £5000                     £96
  6.       £10000                  £192
  7.       £20000                  £385
  8.       £30000                  £577
  9.       £40000                  £769
  10.       £50000                  £962

So for when we were playing this in Savage WOrld. Money was a real problem. Everything is so expensive and you only get money IC once a month.And that batch of PC, before they all died starving in the desert, didnt quite have the skills to court rich folks for money.

Then it sounds like I was wrong about the money and you know what you're doing there.

What dsatow had to say bears repeating here:

1 hour ago, dsatow said:

I think magic casting should be 9 points too.  The thing is, if you drop the Int to 18, you get the same roll. 

Keep only one of the analyzes, drop INT to 18, and correct the above costs and you still come out 1 pip ahead.  I disagree with Lucius' reasoning on some of the stat drops, but as a starting character he has a valid point.  A Dex of 15 is only really useful for going first up in the Dex chart.  An Ego of 15 is a little different, depending on the genre.  If the GM has monsters using mental entangles, a 15 EGO is useful for the 3d6 to break out.  Some GMs also will all the use of EGO against PRE attacks(6e2p136), another useful feature.

I also disagree with only 20 END.  If you are smacking things with say a sword or club, you are using strength.  Most heroic level games make strength cost 1 end per 5 STR used.  If you do a half move, that's a 1 end minimum cost.  So at speed 3, if you half move and strike 3 times, you've spent 9 end.  You regain 4 (which you might want to buy up to 5) with recovery.  In low speed turns, turns happen often, so you'll last maybe 3 turns before you're exhausted.  This doesn't include pushing or spells.  It only cost 2 points to go up to a 30, so I would suggest 30.

I'd suggest also getting more breadth as a starting character than several specific skills.  Yes, having KS: ripper organization, KS: ripper tech, KS: fellow rippers, PS ripper organization(I assume you just mean the profession of ripper), and SS ripper tech can be useful.  But unless most of your adventures are inside a ripper base, it might be better to just buy KS: Ripper Organization and buy other skills like KS: Legends and Lore, KS: Mystic Artifacts, KS: Other Occultists, SS: Medicine, KS: Religion.

If you are making Giles, to be honest, Giles doesn't access the Watchers all that often and they usually have things for him to do.  I would get rid of the contact or make the contact a single person (his best bud in the organization).  You could even make the person a DNPC with useful skills.

You could also do the following trick.  Giles has some knowledge in his head but not everything memorized.  He has his own person books/library which he consults.  You can buy these books as OAF, extra time, only in library, skills or levels.  His personal refernce books.

You should also probably get WF: Small arms and maybe WF: blades.

I forgot that you can use EGO as a defense vs PRE. And I completely overlooked that your character will probably need some Weapon Familiarities!

1 hour ago, MrWigggles said:

Well, I'm not trying to make an exact Giles copy, just his role in the monster fighting genre. And we end up doing a lot of travelI wanted the Contact to be the entire organization, so we can get support, on some level, where ever we go. I'm also throwing in some stuff for the real life person, Edwin Abbot Abbot. My SO thought up this interesting Consequence, and that made me think of the author of Flatworld.

So how would I construct his personal referneces? It would be a Power? Something else I'm a wii bit lost on, is just general equipment too. 

A lot depends on the person running the game and how they like to do things. For example, has he made language an issue? Should you consider investing in some Survival Skills, or possibly Navigation, to avoid getting lost and starving in a desert again?

Since you're still looking for Complication points, this one's worth ten:

Dependent NPC:  Very Frequently (As powerful as the PC; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills; Group DNPC: x2 DNPCs):10 pts

"As an author, well known theologian, and enthusiastic 'pen pal' Abbot has correspondents all over the world. Wherever his mission takes him he is liable to make contact with one or two persons who know him either by reputation or by personal post who will help and/or hinder him in the adventure."

You might also consider Skills like Charm and Persuasion and High Society and a Reputation that gets you a bonus when using them.

1 hour ago, dsatow said:

Is your GM making you buy equipment with points or is it with cash?

Is your GM allowing you to use frameworks (i.e. multipower)?

1 hour ago, MrWigggles said:

He said we're buying equipment with money.

Frameworks isnt on the provded CG sheet so probably no.

So you're getting "free" equipment (i.e. doesn't cost character points.) That's good.

You can design abilities that don't have to be either "magic" or "ripper tech" and have them without spending points, as long as you can define it as "equipment" and convince whoever is running your game that it's reasonable. They may be built like Powers but you don't pay points for them. For example,

Correspondence Book:  (Total: 7 Active Cost, 1 Real Cost) Summon 25-point Person of at least Moderate Intellectual or Cultural Attainments, Friendly (+1/4), Expanded Class of Beings (Very Limited Group; Normal people with wealth, connections, influence, academic credentials, etc; +1/4) (7 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Hour, Only to Activate, Character May Take No Other Actions, -1 3/4), OAF (Book of names and addresses of contacts; -1), Arrives Under Own Power (-1/2), Summoned Being Must Inhabit Locale (-1/2), Requires A Roll (14- roll; -1/4) (Real Cost: 1)

"Even in far off lands, as long as Abbot has his Correspondence Book he has a chance of 14 or less on 3d6 to locate someone local who can provide whatever (non-combat type) assistance is needed, but locating someone and getting a response will take around an hour usually and in less urban or civilized areas there may be no one conveniently close."

You can always ask if Mutlipowers are allowed. The worse he can do is say no.

Lucius Alexander

I always assume palindromedary taglines are allowed and when have I ever been wrong about that?