Star Trek, Tarantino-style

Greywind

9 hours ago, Old Man said:

I'm against this and any other Trek properties just because I want the whining to stop.  Tarentino is too violent.  Abrams is too lens flare-y.  The new Klingons are ridiculous.  The old Klingons are ridiculous.  Chris Pine as Kirk is the worst.  Captain Archer is the worst.  Captain Janeway is the worst.  Shatner's hairpiece is the worst.

Seriously after all the complaining you'd think people would be willing to give a new director a shot.  Tarentino films are hardly more violent than most action movies; the only difference is that he doesn't gloss over or glorify it.  He also has a gift for dialogue and character driven plots.  I'd want to find out more before fully supporting the effort, but I wouldn't instantly rule out a Tarantino Trek.

I beg to differ, SHatner's hairpiece would have made an awesome captain

11 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Somehow I don't think his writing style of having people discussing pop culture is going to work well here.

Why not?  It works on The Orville.

RE: Shatner's "hair" -- I thought that was just a leftover tribble he adopted (or that adopted him).

RE: referring to Quentin Tarantino as "Q" -- I thought at first you were talking about Q from ST:TNG.  Though it would be amusing if John de Lancie showed up and told Kirk and crew, "Just call me Quentin."

4 hours ago, BoloOfEarth said:

Why not?  It works on The Orville.

RE: Shatner's "hair" -- I thought that was just a leftover tribble he adopted (or that adopted him).

RE: referring to Quentin Tarantino as "Q" -- I thought at first you were talking about Q from ST:TNG.  Though it would be amusing if John de Lancie showed up and told Kirk and crew, "Just call me Quentin."

And then he transfers them to a "Gangsta-verse" like when he took the crew into the civil war?:rofl:

Well, for my two cents. 

I think a Tarantino "Star Trek" would fail miserably.   I just don't think he could do the Federation or Star Fleet well in a movie.

But a Klingon Movie would be right down his alley.  A movie treatment of something like the Khitomer Massacre with no humans or Star Fleet involvement would be awesome.  I'd prefer TNG/DS9 Klingons for it.  But a Tarantino Klingon Movie  would be violently awesome...

• 2 weeks later...

So it's Tarantino's story idea, but he apparently realizes his um, unique writing style isn't really suited for Trek. So they're bringing in another screenwriter, the guys from Revenant (which I haven't seen but is supposed to be great), but Tarantino's still directing. OK, that sounds somewhat less like a horrific train wreck in progress.

1 hour ago, bigdamnhero said:

So it's Tarantino's story idea, but he apparently realizes his um, unique writing style isn't really suited for Trek. So they're bringing in another screenwriter, the guys from Revenant (which I haven't seen but is supposed to be great), but Tarantino's still directing. OK, that sounds somewhat less like a horrific train wreck in progress.

But he would make a fantastic all Klingon movie.  I'd like to see his take on Klingon hand to hand with a bat'leth.

• 1 month later...