How much END to hold up an object?

drunkonduty

So I'm envisaging a scenario in which a hero has to hold up something heavy; a bridge, building, cave roof.

Now normally a character has to pay END for each phase in which they use their STR. But the rules also allow for a character to lower their SPD. Thus the character can lower their SPD to 1 and only pay END costs once per turn to hold up the object. This strikes me as silly.

Surely the bridge, et.al. is applying pressure downward every segment. Shouldn't the hero have to apply their STR every segment to resist the weight? 

I realise that the hero will probably run out of END, and then STUN, and then pass out very quickly. But it just strikes me as the best dramatic option.

How do other folks handle this?

From my rookie Superman:

I didn't figure in lowering his SPD though...

https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?795840-HERO6E-My-rookie-JLA-builds&p=20706531#post20706531

0 42) Super Solar Battery v1: Aid CON & REC 4d6 (standard effect: 12 points), Expanded Effect (x2 Characteristics or Powers simultaneously) (CON & REC; +1/2), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute; +1) (60 Active Points); Only to Aid Self (-1), Conditional Power Only in Direct Sunlight (-0) Real Cost: 27 
[Notes: Since CON & REC are both considered Defensive Powers vs. Adjustments the effect of AID is halved (6e1 pg141). A single use is effectively +6 CON & +6 REC. Maximum Effect is +12 CON & +12 REC. Effectively fades at 1 point of CON & REC per 2 Turns.] - END=6
0 43) Super Solar Battery v2: Aid END 10d6 (standard effect: 30 points) (60 Active Points); Only to Aid Self (-1), Conditional Power Only in Direct Sunlight (-0) Real Cost: 27 
[Notes: There are 3 factors that go into how much END is provided by this. 1) END costs 1 Real point per 5 gained. 2) END is considered a Defensive Power vs. Adjustments so their effects are halved (6e1 pg141). 3) The power COSTS 6 END to activate. The total of all of this results in an immediate boost of +69 END (30x5=150, 150/2=75, 75-6=69 with a Maximum Effect of 138) that begins to fade at -25 END per Turn. This boosted END is used first. When combined with "More powerful than a locomotive v3" (120 STR Total @16 END/Phase) & "Up, Up and Away! v2" (Flight 40m giving +10 "Lifting STR" @4 END/Phase) it allows for a combined 'Total Lifting STR' of 130 before PUSHING that is sustainable for ~ 1-2 Turns (Maybe 3 Turns if also combined with "Super Solar Battery v1"). Accoring to APG1, 140 STR is enough to lift 6.4 million tons or The Great Pyramid of Giza (est.).] - END=6

Superman

Val Char Cost

50 STR 40

15 DEX 15

25 CON 30

14 BODY 8

13 INT 3

10 EGO 0

20 PRE 10

18 COM 4

25 PD 15

15 ED 10

4 SPD 15

15 REC 0

50 END 0

52 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 150 Points

Cost Skills

3 Conversation 13-

3 Disguise 12-

5 Eidetic Memory

5 FB: International Police Powers

1 FB: Press Pass

2 Navigation [Air] 12-

3 Rep: Superhero 14-

3 Streetwise 13-

Total Powers Cost: 25 Points

Cost Powers

12 Damage Resistance 20 rPD 10 rED*

12 EC [Yellow Sun Energy]-15 Points*

17 1) EB 8d6, Variable Special Effects [Heat/Cold] (+1/4), 2x END (-1/2), Variable Disadvantages (-1/4)*

10 2) Flight 10", Variable Advantages (+1/2), [[Invisible [Hearing], Megascale [1km], 1/2 END, or Usable Underwater Only (-1/4)]]*

6 ES: N-Ray Sight [Lead], Cost END (-1/2)*

7 ES: Telescopic Hearing +2, Telescopic Sight +2, Ultrasonic Hearing*

6 Hearing: Regeneration 1 BODY*

5 LS: High Radiation, Intense Cold, Intense Heat*

Total Powers Cost: 75 Points

*Does Not Work During Exposure To Green Kryptonite or Red Solar Radiation (-1/4)

I don't see it as a big deal.  There's a different level of tenseness in combat vs. out of combat.  When you are ready for anything that might come at you, you tend to burn more energy just to be at ready.  Its that tired/exhausted feeling you get after a very stressful event. So I figure, the person who is dropping down to a 1 speed is basically ignoring just about every thing to maintain his continuing action.  He's not ready for everything and if something were to happen, it would take a while for him to get reoriented to his surrounding.

2 hours ago, dsatow said:

I don't see it as a big deal.  There's a different level of tenseness in combat vs. out of combat.  When you are ready for anything that might come at you, you tend to burn more energy just to be at ready.  Its that tired/exhausted feeling you get after a very stressful event. So I figure, the person who is dropping down to a 1 speed is basically ignoring just about every thing to maintain his continuing action.  He's not ready for everything and if something were to happen, it would take a while for him to get reoriented to his surrounding.

Cool.

I see where you're coming from there. It does make sense. It allows our hero to hold that bridge up long enough for the civilians to escape/be rescued.

This might be a 6e rule, but you can't voluntarily lower your speed below 2. (CC p 137) There's also a rule that all noncombat stuff is assumed to be done at SPD 2 by default (which might be 5e, but I didn't encounter until CC), though you can act at higher SPD if needed. SPD is mainly part of the tactical combat side of the game; once you shift to noncombat it does make sense not to bother with it.

Lowering speed to reduce END expenditure is valid. In effect it's for the same reason you can lower your SPD to help survive while drowning. There's also the concept of "cruising speed" which is typically the most efficient combination of fuel expenditure and distance travelled for a vehicle. In HERO terms, the SPD where your REC covers your END expenditure can be considered a character's "cruising speed".

2 hours ago, drunkonduty said:

Yeah  some good points there, mrinku.

I'm not sure I agree that holding a really heavy thing over your head is operating at cruising speed. But as I said to dsatow, I can see it working, dramatically that is.

Yeah, I didn't really mean cruising speed would be a useful term in the OP scenario (or drowning, for that matter) :)

I mentioned that idea more in terms of general speed reduction stuff. If you have SPD 6, REC 8 and flight that costs 2 END, you might choose SPD 4 for long distance flight.