Star Wars 8 complaint box

massey

27 minutes ago, DasBroot said:

Han Solo and Obi Wan Kenobi's solo movies will have a lot more baggage than Rogue One.  

I am not seeing the issues:

Han Solo has to have the Falcon and Chewie at the end. Ideally owing Jabba a lot of money.

Obi Wan must be on Tatooine/ready for whatever Plot happens after the solo movie is finished.

Exactly.  Rightly or wrongly (wrongly in my opinion) people will judge the movie not on its merits but by the virtue that it doesn't star Harrison Ford.  Even a digitally de-aged Harrison Ford.

Star Wars is at its best when it's used as a vehicle for new stories, in my opinion:  Rogue One.  The Old Republic series of computer games.  I'm looking forward to the possibility of a new trilogy - the less it draws on the existing three the better.

39 minutes ago, Christopher said:

Otherwise the question over everyones head would have been: "Where were they duing the battle of Yavin?"

The answer could have been, "In the hospital recovering from injuries," or "In a POW camp." (Allowing a sequel rescue mission movie.) It's not like they were forced into anything by canon in that case.

11 hours ago, Christopher said:

Killing them off was nessesary from a story perspective. Otherwise the question over everyones head would have been: "Where were they duing the battle of Yavin?"

Where was the Mon Calamari fleet during the Battle of Yavin, or the Battle of Hoth?  None of the Rogue 1 characters were in the fighter squadrons, so they would not necessarily be at the Battle of Yavin (or be visible if they were - no shortage of support people on the ground, no doubt).  Some reason they were not on the Tantive IV, or not part of the briefing, maybe, but they weren't the Rebel Leadership either.

In any case, story necessity that Han and Obi-Wan survive makes any threat they will not pretty hollow, reducing the sense of danger.  Killing off the Rogue 1 characters was a shocker because we just assume the Good Guys (or at least most of them) will find a way out somehow.  Now, if Han has a buddy (not Lando or Chewie), good odds that person does not survive the film.  If he has a love interest, survival would be the shocker (maybe she dumps him, which is why he ends up moping in the cantina, but no one will be shocked if she dies).

We know he won't die, or get the big score to pay Jabba off, or join the rebellion, or settle down with a romantic interest, or lose the Falcon...

Agreed, Badger - but the absence of the Mon Cal fleet is no harder to accept than the absence of the Rogue 1 characters, had they survived.

To the Bespin question, I prefer the theory it took the Falcon a while to limp to Bespin + get repaired, and that Luke spent more than a day or two in training on Dagobah.  The movie skipped over the "no action" parts.

• 3 weeks later...

Mary Rey Sue- is going Super Saiyan in Episode IX isn't she.  :winkgrin:

THough the more I read about the movie, I am pretty sure, Thrawn could show up and lay the beat down on the both The First Order and the Resistance at the same time.  Like chess grand master beating down a guy having trouble at not losing at Tic-Tac-Toe (looking at Holdo there)

On 8.3.2018 at 7:04 AM, Badger said:

Mary Rey Sue- is going Super Saiyan in Episode IX isn't she.  :winkgrin:

THough the more I read about the movie, I am pretty sure, Thrawn could show up and lay the beat down on the both The First Order and the Resistance at the same time.  Like chess grand master beating down a guy having trouble at not losing at Tic-Tac-Toe (looking at Holdo there)

So, Rebels finished and put some light on the what happened to Thrawn:

He and Ezra vanished together in Thrawns Star Destroyer into unknown regions. However, Ezra is definitely not dead. So there is a chance that Thrawn survived as well, especially considering the "no Killing" rule of the Jedi.

I do think a lot will be at stake with Solo.  Disney has Rogue One which turned out great.  TFA (who seems to have had a section be a little too hard on, even if it was an outright plagiarization of Ep 4) seemed to have some moments.  AND TLJ? Seems to be looked upon worse and worse, the more some fans have the time to think over what they saw in theaters.  Solo could end up being  "well they seem to make good individual Star War movies, they just cant do a grand scheme run at it as well" or  "Damn, Rogue One was lightning caught in a bottle for Disney".

I don't think it helps Disney that so far with the sequels their treatment of the Old Guard is either a case of "We have no idea how to deal with these guys other than to wipe them out Transformers: Animated style" or worse essentially telling long time fans who invested 30+ years into these characters to (well, do what Dick Cheney that one guy to do to himself that time).  Like it or not, that be a problem.

Note: Course, for arguments sake, I am not saying the sequels aren't entertaining.  But, I loved the Thrawn trilogy, I still read random chapters from them now and again.  This, sir, is no Thrawn trilogy. (in my eyes)

3 hours ago, Starlord said:

Thrawn was killed by his bodyguard Rukh.  Nuff said.

In Legends? Yes.

Could it still happen in canon? Possible, but hard unless there is another Rukh or he somehow survived. We technically never saw his corpse, and we know how that turns out in Star Wars (see Darth Maul).

2 hours ago, Badger said:

Note: Course, for arguments sake, I am not saying the sequels aren't entertaining.  But, I loved the Thrawn trilogy, I still read random chapters from them now and again.  This, sir, is no Thrawn trilogy. (in my eyes)

It was never advertised as a "Thrawn Trilogy". One of the first things Disney did was bump down Legends (to wich the Thrawn Trillogy belongs) down a few tiers of cannon. Jsut to make certain nobody would make this Mistake.

Of course I also doubt you could just Translate the Thrawn Trillogy 1:1 into a Movie Series. Some things simply do not survive the Medium Translation.

The Thrawn in Rebels was about the closest they could get to proper depiction, without utterly breaking the setting. Even just taking him and his Tie Defender Programm out of the Picture made most of the Movies possible and was a Major Victory for the Lothal Rebels.

I didn't say it was supposed to be a Thrawn trilogy.  But, if you are going to reboot the universe after ROTJ.  And you had already had a good quality trilogy in Legends that is being discarded.  You would hope they would give you, something of similar quality, or at least close to it.  And it seems a significant consensus, "pretty, but the plot is an absolute mess".  I'm really talking about quality rather than storyline, there.

Of course, SW fans have a tendency to overspeculate, and they got burned by the Snoke thing.  But, Luke (or I should say the old apathetic character that was played by the same actor that played Luke Skywalker, and stole Luke's name) is absolutely unforgiveable.  Rian Johnson has never watched ROTJ,  because if he did he would not have been able to turn Luke into that character.  It isn't to say Luke was incapable of a fall from grace.  Heck, Legends has material for that themselves.   But, in the OT, his flaw was giving too much of a damn.  How do you go from the father I never met is the galactic enforcer of evil, I will save him at any cost TO my nephew who I have watched grow since birth and personally trained has a chance to turn evil in the future......oh well, I quit.       

Who says he wasn't?  But, fair enough.  I know of at least one person, in real life, who got bitter in their old age and largely gave up (crippling arthritis being the main culprit)  Maybe, that whole Leia was his sister thing freaked his head when he had time to think about it after all.  Or maybe he was bitter about it causing the loss of his girlfriend, and he secretly resented Han and Kylo over it.  (makes as much sense as anything)

Note: And I know where you are going with it, with man and their breaking point.  But, my father is a genocidal maniac, and my girlfriend is my sister, literally everyone would agree would break them more than my nephew might have an eventual evil temptation or 2.  I can get he didn't want another Vader family member. And his school being destroyed could also.  But, with his Kylo moment being BEFORE the school got destroyed, he gave up there.  It does lend some possibilities to that, I, of course know that.  But, they gave us, what they gave us.

Actually that could potentially be an interesting story (more interesting than what we got) too bad they decided to put the cart before the horse. (probably to get another couple billion with a later movie.  But, it would be ironic, if the hardcore fans with 40 years of investment are true to their word-doubtful-and give up on the franchise)

I know you can do what they want with Luke Skywalker, they own the rights,  they can have people survive the vacuum of space and reduce the laws of deep to the properties of an old Silverhawks cartoon  (wait, I've just been told they did).  But, will the fans swallow it?   

FWIW, I do commend you for getting me to really think out my post the last couple of times.