Star Wars 8 complaint box

massey

• 2 weeks later...

The Facebook webcomic about the Disney Princesses sharing a house, Pocket Princesses (which I adore) has added Leia to their roster,. She appears as a Force Ghost, but it was stated that it wasn't a poiler for the movie. And it wasn't -- Leia is a Force Ghost because Carrie is a Force Ghost (or at least so I would prefer to believe).

She's brutally honest, full of elderly "I don't have to give a **** anymore"" mischief (like teaching the painfully naive Snow White to swear in Huttese), and has a serious Coca-Cola habit. For the most part, the other girls love her (though Tiana from The Princess and the Frog finds her a bit rude).

You'll have to look it up for yourself -- artist Amy Mabberson (who has also done contract work for Disney and Hasbro) hates unattributed posting of her work, Because of her work in the industry she is very cautious about what is essentially a unpaid labor of love.

• 4 weeks later...

I was surprisingly fond of the Solo movie on a couple of levels.  First, it showed us the underworld of the Star Wars universe instead of another stab at an epic Jedi/Sith or Rebellion/Empire type of story.  The characters were more ordinary, sort of like "Firefly meets Star Wars", just trying to make their way in the galaxy.  I found the change of pace refreshing, sort of like how I felt after seeing Rogue One.  Second, I echo Old Man's opinion of the story: reasonably well written, with no massive plot holes.  Third, I had a few nerd moments when the characters dropped little references to the classic Lando Calrissian and Han Solo novels, and when a certain Ewok kinda showed up.

It certainly has its flaws and nits to pick, but overall I found it to be an enjoyable popcorn flick, and will probably buy the Blu Ray when it comes out.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Ragitsu said:

Was the Praetorian Guard created so that scriptwriters would have an excuse to show a version of Emperor Palpatine's Royal Guards fighting on screen?

Probably.

Will Rey casually fling a Death Star into the Sun with the Force, in Ep IX?

The character assassination of Luke Skywalker in The Last Jedi is disgusting. I now understand why Mark Hamill was trying to warn us fans...and why Disney was desperate to censor him. There are plenty of Star Wars novels that would have made far better films than The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi. The Star Wars prequels might be heavily flawed installments (with the exception of Revenge of the Sith), but at least they were attempts at originality with fight scenes that felt fun. I can't help but wonder if the filmmakers inadvertently ruined TLJ with their goal of spreading certain messages to the moviegoers.

Definitely agree.  Though, I ended up in a bit of a fight over mentioning similar a bit back on this very thread.   Most of which got taken down, so I'll avoid any more details.

I broke a 15+ year drought of avoiding theaters for that abomination, too.  I did gain an appreciation for the prequels, at least  (as long as a Fast-Forward button is available for certain parts)

2 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

I'm pretty much the same, there's just 90 pounds more of me. :P

Well, from me 25 year ago, I am 1 inch taller and 80-90 lbs heavier.  But, at least, I can use the excuse I was about 30 lbs underweight back then (even by BMI standards).

Also, I must say that the brand of humor endemic to the new Star Wars films is extremely aggravating. The original Star Wars films had humor, but it was subtle. When it came to the prequel trilogy, the comedy was a little more overt yet still mostly restrained. Now, however? We're seeing jokes that try too damn hard and an overabundance of slapstick. It's as if the writers imparted some of their soul into the "humorous" portions of the script so that they could manifest themselves in the actors and mug the camera just to say "Aren't we hip? Huh? Huh?" What's more, this comicality is going to age SO badly; John Boyega's "stereotypical runaway slave meets Kevin Hart" role from The Force Awakens is already showing its crows feet. The obnoxious self-referential nature of the whole experience is akin to what you'd get in a Marvel film. I don't like the Marvel films; why on Earth would I want to see their cheese added to another cinematic recipe?

Finally, for the love of whatever gods might exist...STOP CUTTING AWAY TO "CUTE" CGI CRITTERS EVERY GODDAMN FIVE MINUTES! I want to feel real nuanced emotion when I watch a film trying to be an epic: not the helter-skelter duality of thought which accompanies ADHD.

tenor.gif

11 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Heretic. :P

With toned down humor, an occasional "R" rating, and faithfulness to source material that doesn't give a flying fornication what the Chinese market thinks (I'm looking at you, Doctor Strange), I might reconsider my disliking. Given that all of that will never happen, I won't.

I was 8 years old when Star Wars was released, and it was one of those movies that I knew was made just for me. I had a bunch of the toys, the oversize Marvel comic adaptation, Boba Fett sheets*, a bunch of the music, and a couple of the tie-in books. I went back to the theaters every year to see it when it returned to theaters, and then excitedly watched Empire, and later, Return of the Jedi. I stayed up for the Star Wars Holiday Special**, and watched the various Droids/Ewoks projects. When the RPG came out, I had to have it.

I went to the Special Edition showings, and bought the movies in a variety of formats over the years. When Episode I came out, I eagerly went to watch it in the theater. It was my first inkling that perhaps, the prequel trilogy wasn't meant to be "mine" in the same way, but was rather written for the kids who were seeing their own Star Wars in the theater for the first time. 

And that's how I approached TFA and TLJ. These aren't "my" movies, but are really for the kids now. And, taken that way, they are OK, like the Prequels.

*Bought some time in '79.

**My young brain had the special edited down to the Boba Fett cartoon, and perhaps a few of the scenes revolving around Chewbacca's friends and family. I was surprised to learn that it was much longer when I watched it again 10 years ago.