Star Wars 8 complaint box

massey

11 hours ago, Ragitsu said:

Another thing...folks here appear to be tiptoeing around another character in this film. Yeah, you know who I'm talking about. Rey. I had no illusions that Star Wars VIII would add dips and slopes to her flatness and it seems that I was wise to not hold out hope. No kidding: I would derive more enjoyment from alternating between watching musca domestica fornicate on the ever-growing blades of grass which constitute my front lawn and gazing at the plodding clouds in the sky above than watch, read, play or even just consume ANY piece of media with Disney's grotesquely unabashed Mary Sue sitting at the protagonist helm. I can't get invested in someone that has nowhere to go. F-N and Poe are so much more interesting. Why couldn't we get John Boyega as a Jedi? Why did the trailers for The Force Awakens have to toy with us like a jilted lover harboring a mile-wide mean streak?

I like Rey. I just don't find her interesting as a person. I find this true of a lot of female characters in American media. I watch a lot of international television and its a cultural propaganda our entertainment industry has bought into. Women in other countries' media are allowed to be flawed or make poor moral choices. Imperfection is interesting and allows for more compelling character arcs. Women in American media tend to be presented as perfect people who are always in the right. The result? They are boring people, make boring decisions, have boring stories and are, quite frankly, boorish. There are exceptions, of course. Lorraine Broughton from Atomic Blond was a morally grey and personally flawed character. But that character was bucking a disappointingly banal cultural trend and therefore was tres awesome as a result. Welcome to Disney's America. All women are princesses. Perfect in every way. It is heresy (and misogyny) to disagree.

2 hours ago, Starlord said:

I think suspending / cancelling the anthology films is the wrong reaction to one movie that didn't rule the box offices the way they wanted. As a film, Solo was better than The Force Awakens (IMO). They just need to slow their roll, time their releases better, and make a good movie. You know, do the work and respect the material instead of assuming "populous blockbuster trash" will automatically turn into gold if you slap "Star Wars" onto it. Admirals who don't wear evening gowns on the bridge and dress, you know, like Admirals. might also help.  Personally, I would love to see Ewan McGreggor reprise his role as Obi-Wan in an anthology film. He was the shining light of the prequels, for me. 

The prequels are fine. They have the mythology but lack in writing / screenplay, acting (across the board), cinematography, production (usage of cgi), Jar-Jar. Basically everything that makes an enjoyable watching experience; they are ads for CGI. 

The new films The Force Awakens, & The Last Jedi lack a mythological quality across the board. They are typical Hollywood sci-fi space operas with the gloss of Star Wars. Basically pastiches of the original 3 films. 

Rey would have been more interesting to me if she had joined forces with Kylo Ren.  She went to incredible lengths to find Luke only to be rejected by him, so to find someone actually willing to mentor her...well, it might have been fun.

I did crack a grin at a legendary Jedi Master being spooked by an angry Wookiee bashing down his door.

14 hours ago, Bazza said:

The prequels are fine. They have the mythology but lack in writing / screenplay, acting (across the board), cinematography, production (usage of cgi), Jar-Jar. Basically everything that makes an enjoyable watching experience; they are ads for CGI. 

The new films The Force Awakens, & The Last Jedi lack a mythological quality across the board. They are typical Hollywood sci-fi space operas with the gloss of Star Wars. Basically pastiches of the original 3 films. 

The Phantom Menace had some great set pieces and bits that suffer terribly for large swaths of cringe-worthy bits. I feel the exact same way about The Last Jedi. The only reason I'd put TLJ over TPM is Luke Skywalker. I'm a Luke guy. Attack of the Clones is a watchable, fun, yet uninspiring Flash-Gordon / Buck Rogers serial style film. I don't hate it. I can watch it without too much pain. Aside from establishing that Skywalkers all have to outgrow being whiney-little-biatches to earn the black and hitting once great female protagonist with the banal weak-addled-pregnant-woman-in-love stereotype, Revenge of the Sith was a fairly good film. I could have done without Samuel L Jackson running the Jedi Order (or SHIELD for that matter), but.... shrug.

For Me:

The Empire Strikes Back

A New Hope

Return of the Jedi

Rogue One

Revenge of the Sith

Solo

Attack of the Clones

The Last Jedi

The Phantom Menace

The Force Awakens

11 hours ago, Starlord said:

Well, Jedi Masters don't tear people's arms outta their sockets when they lose.

PS:  When Jedi Masters lose, they quit and go into hiding.

Ergo, they take all their marbles and go home.

15 hours ago, Badger said:

Interesting, if I hadn't already put down TLJ, I would have put them under Phantom Menace, because I do like Luke.  With TLJ,  I'd rather have no Luke that the fake Luke they gave us.

What did you find so deeply objectionable? That he failed? That he turned cynical over it? That he didn't want to look himself in the mirror? That it included a third pseudo-woke woman-splaining moment? At least the writer's prejudices are clear and consistent! Women have a moral monopoly and men must listen, right? I found Luke's story arc at least plausible, if overripe in its bitterness. Great men do fail. Skywalkers do mope. A lot. In fact, they mope so much that evil empires are born. It might not be how I would had Luke re-enter the stage, but I wasn't so put out  by it that I would cry "fake Luke." And he did stand up, overcome his failure, do the right thing, and went out in a way that left me fist pumping and saying:

"Luke! F------! Skywalker!"

Luke is still my boy.

I, on other hand thought that was nothing close to a 'crowning moment of glory'...at best it was a meh moment, at worst an insult to a beloved character.

PS:  But I guess it was a semi-efficient way to kinda save what? 12 people?  12 people who still needed Rey as well.  Crowning moment, my butt.

Vondy, it is jarring in the extreme to end Return of the Jedi with a fully mature and hopeful Luke Skywalker and then jump to another film where he's an acidic monument to cynicism. Also, the same Luke Skywalker that put his life on the line to redeem his FATHER (the second greatest evil in the galaxy) is the same Luke Skywalker that considers murdering his nephew in his sleep? I don't buy it. The Last Jedi tried so damn hard to subvert e-ver-y expectation and suffered because of it.

6 hours ago, Ragitsu said:

Vondy, it is jarring in the extreme to end Return of the Jedi with a fully mature and hopeful Luke Skywalker and then jump to another film where he's an acidic monument to cynicism. Also, the same Luke Skywalker that put his life on the line to redeem his FATHER (the second greatest evil in the galaxy) is the same Luke Skywalker that considers murdering his nephew in his sleep? I don't buy it. The Last Jedi tried so damn hard to subvert e-ver-y expectation and suffered because of it.

Exactly.  For me, I understand great men sometimes fail, but I occasionally like them to have had a smidgen of success.  

That I do find it impossible, to rectify, a man who tried to save his father who he never personally knew to all of a sudden killing a nephew that he had known since birth.  If there is one you would be invested in saving it would be the one you knew since birth. 

And the ending felt like a cop out to me.  to be honest.  

I would have obviously wanted that.

About Luke:  I think some people wanted him to do some impressive Force stuff.   Which, I don't necessarily think would be right either.  I think, realistically, he should have been Obi-wan (especially since they like copy and pasting the trilogy anyway).  Even a somewhat disappointing shell of Kenobi.  But, we went well beyond disappointment.  We got evil Ben.