Star Wars 8 complaint box

massey

Yeah, I don't give him any points just because he could pass it off slightly quicker than the rest.

All I know is, if the First Order was half 2% as smart as the Empire, they would have all gotten stomped.

And I am still calling it, Rey will go Super Saiyan in Ep 9, doesn't make any sense, but it'll happen.

One thing I was sort of glad on in Ep 8, Rey's parents being nobody we knew of.   Though, they should have been random Jedi.  Random nobodies but Jedi, or at least Force sensitive.

We got enough Skywalkers running around the galaxy.  Anymore, and it would be their galaxies' version of Smith.

21 hours ago, Old Man said:

I would like for them to get completely away from SW altogether.  Wrap it up with Ep IX and make way for something new.

Not gonna happen because franchise and IP, but hey.

The popularity of Star Wars makes other space science fiction films more likely, not less.  

12 hours ago, Badger said:

One thing I was sort of glad on in Ep 8, Rey's parents being nobody we knew of.   Though, they should have been random Jedi.  Random nobodies but Jedi, or at least Force sensitive.

We got enough Skywalkers running around the galaxy.  Anymore, and it would be their galaxies' version of Smith.

Random Jedi?  Rey is 20 give or take.  There were no "random Jedi" 20 years before her time.  I think it's funny that so many people object to "mitochrondria" while at the same time strongly wanting Force ability to be a genetic trait.  But genetics are complicated.  I mean there's a genetic element to intelligence but also plenty of examples of geniuses whose parents were nothing special.  

22 minutes ago, Clonus said:

Random Jedi?  Rey is 20 give or take.  There were no "random Jedi" 20 years before her time.  I think it's funny that so many people object to "mitochrondria" while at the same time strongly wanting Force ability to be a genetic trait.  But genetics are complicated.  I mean there's a genetic element to intelligence but also plenty of examples of geniuses whose parents were nothing special.  

I almost posted the same thing. There are hints in the movies of those that are Force-sensitive, but are not Jedi, and it's likely that without the Jedi sweeping around the galaxy trying to find "younglings" to train, some of these would develop some noticeable level of ability (see also the stable boy in TLJ). I'm personally tired of the need to link everything to the Skywalker clan or their friends, and really enjoyed Rogue One for showing us a different type of story. 

2 hours ago, Clonus said:

I actually don't want Force ability to be genetic.  At all.  I get why you're-a-wizard-Harry is a popular story, and why it's almost necessary for background reasons.  But I'd rather Force ability be the result of character and hard work, rather than some kind of latent royalty.

Good point.  Though, I don't know about character and hard work.  Hard work doesn't create Force ability. Just hones it.  If character did, we never have a Dark Sider.  You still have to have latent talent, whether it be genetics, or divine luck of the draw, or whatever you want to go with.

35 minutes ago, Badger said:

Good point.  Though, I don't know about character and hard work.  Hard work doesn't create Force ability. Just hones it.  If character did, we never have a Dark Sider.  You still have to have latent talent, whether it be genetics, or divine luck of the draw, or whatever you want to go with.

To be fair, the Sith seem to be the ones who have to work the hardest to get their plans in motion. By contrast, the Jedi are a bunch of slackers.

Anyway, the problem with the hard work angle is Force ability should be a rare that not everyone has.  Well, maybe have but to such miniscule levels that you would have to multiply to absurd levels to get a good Force user out of.  Zero multiplied by Hard Work equals zero.  

Like in real life no matter how hard he trained basketball legend Georghe Muresan was never going to by an Olympic sprinter. :fear:  No matter how much effort put in few could ever be a functional neurosurgeon.  

On 2/16/2019 at 3:12 PM, Old Man said:

I actually don't want Force ability to be genetic.  At all.  I get why you're-a-wizard-Harry is a popular story, and why it's almost necessary for background reasons.  But I'd rather Force ability be the result of character and hard work, rather than some kind of latent royalty.

That boat sailed in the first movie when all it took was an afternoon with a bucket on his head for Luke to get superpowers.  Star Wars could have been written as "Luke spent years meditating and training in his apprenticeship and then he could lift a rock or block blaster shots" but that's not the way Lucas went with it.  

4 hours ago, Clonus said:

That boat sailed in the first movie when all it took was an afternoon with a bucket on his head for Luke to get superpowers.  Star Wars could have been written as "Luke spent years meditating and training in his apprenticeship and then he could lift a rock or block blaster shots" but that's not the way Lucas went with it.  

Agreed.

12 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Agreed.

On the third hand, Luke was still green, and still not good enough to face anyone with training until well after he finished his training with Yoda, whereas Rey is pretty much Instant Jedi, Just Add Water.  After the first movie, I expected the reveal to be that she was a former student with a lot of potential who had her Force powers locked up by Luke to protect her from discovery by Kylo Ren. Instead, there's utterly no explanation for her combat ability and her speed at learning Force powers -- some of them pretty advanced AFAIK -- other than she's just naturally gifted.

On 2/20/2019 at 3:50 PM, Clonus said:

I get the impression from the movies that Luke had been unconsciously honing his Force skills for years by doing stuff like flying his speeder through Beggar's Canyon (part of the old podracing course) while shooting at womp rats.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Womp_rat

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Beggar's_Canyon

On 2/14/2019 at 9:11 AM, Starlord said:

Rogue One - good movie, strong story and characters, unfortunately it's a prequel where everybody dies so it can't go anywhere

The whole "it can't go anywhere because it is a prequel" is just the lack of imagination of the writers and directors. Or a complete lack of knowledge about both Star Wars and science fiction.

They're working and living in outer space. Off the top of my head:

1) They're captured and frozen in carbonite until after Return of the Jedi

2) They escape but their spaceship is disabled and they're stranded on a planet off the beaten path which doesn't have the technology to let them fix their ship or get rescued until the writers figure out their new movie script.

3) Their engines are damaged so they can reach lightspeed but not hyperspace. They go on a relativistic journey for the next 10 objective years while they age only two months until they arrive at the next movie script.

If someone put some thought into it, they'd find a dozen other loopholes which would let the characters stay around but not disrupt A New Hope, Empire, or Return. Any of these could also be used for characters from Star Wars: Rebels, Clone Wars, or any random Jedi who might still be out there.

BTW, I don't remember if anyone mentioned this but the only real "Rogue One" in the Star Wars Universe will always and forever be Wedge Antilles because that was his designation as the leader of Rogue Squadron. It's a travesty to waste that title on a movie which didn't even have a crawl and dramatic Star Wars music at the beginning. I'd much rather see Rogue Squadron movies than all of this Disney reboot drek.