Star Wars 8 complaint box

massey

31 minutes ago, zslane said:

I'm not sure if 100,000 qualifies as "close" to 100,000,000. Once you get past all the technobabble describing transwarp, you only get speeds upwards of about 10e6 x c. Hyperspace travel is still two to three orders of magnitude faster. And hyperdrives aren't even exotic; they are common enough to be installed on single-seat fighters.

Voyager used a short Transwarp hop to get from teh Delta Quadrant to Sol in less then 15 minutes.

42 minutes ago, Christopher said:

Voyager used a short Transwarp hop to get from teh Delta Quadrant to Sol in less then 15 minutes.

Didn't that require the use of one of the Borg's six transwarp hubs? That's not exactly a commonly accessible transportation technology. And didn't Janeway require help from her future self as well? I don't think very many vessels would be enjoying such short travel times. The ease and speed with which the Empire could hop-and-conquer any ST quadrant via hyperdrive is almost comical.

18 minutes ago, zslane said:

Didn't that require the use of one of the Borg's six transwarp hubs? That's not exactly a commonly accessible transportation technology. And didn't Janeway require help from her future self as well? I don't think very many vessels would be enjoying such short travel times. The ease and speed with which the Empire could hop-and-conquer any ST quadrant via hyperdrive is almost comical.

Wich is why I said:

2 hours ago, Christopher said:

If there is anything even close to Hyperspace speeds in Star Trek, it has to be the Transwarp Network.

Maybe Quantum Slipstream comes close as well, but it seems to be considered "inferior" to true Transwarp.

Science-fiction technobabble is still technobabble. It isn't hard physics & engineering right? So the imaginary numbers/magnitude don't matter. 

Star Wars takes place in a galaxy, Star Trek takes place in a galaxy, Stargate SG-1 primarily takes place in a galaxy. 

1 hour ago, Bazza said:

Science-fiction technobabble is still technobabble. It isn't hard physics & engineering right? So the imaginary numbers/magnitude don't matter. 

I suppose that's true for the most part. However, to the extent to which firm (not hard, not soft, but something in between) numbers can be derived from the source material, it becomes a fun game to calculate and compare the numbers. If you aren't interested in that game, that's fine. You certainly don't have to play along. But is it really so hard to let others play without sh*tting on them for finding it fun?

4 hours ago, zslane said:

I suppose that's true for the most part. However, to the extent to which firm (not hard, not soft, but something in between) numbers can be derived from the source material, it becomes a fun game to calculate and compare the numbers. If you aren't interested in that game, that's fine. You certainly don't have to play along. But is it really so hard to let others play without sh*tting on them for finding it fun?

*sigh* I was with you until the last part. 

I like geeking out as much as as any geek -- ask me about the MCU! -- but at the end of the day is is just technobabble. 

True story.

My oldest came home one day from high school about 13 years ago and he was visibly upset.  I pestered him until he finally revealed the problem, he said "A bunch of the guys think I'm weird."  (That revelation was also accompanied by some nasty names).  I replied with some advice about not letting others bother you and do your own thing and I finished up with this - Jon, EVERYONE is weird.  There is no normal.  Weird IS normal.  Trust me, EVERYONE, even the most normal acting person there is, probably has a couple Jerry Springer episodes going on in their life at certain times.  Feel free to be weird.  :)

13 hours ago, Old Man said:

And people wonder why I hate that show.

"Fear is a natural reaction of moving closer to the truth. Or being ripped to shreds by a giant bug!"

12 hours ago, Badger said:

Ironically, my mother has mentioned more than once that some of the thing Sheldon does on the Big Bang Theory reminds her of me.  :angst:

In my cycle of friends, sheldons property are split between me and 2 other people. It is like Starsigns: If you look long enough, you propably find some similarities with everyone.

13 hours ago, Bazza said:

*sigh* I was with you until the last part. 

I like geeking out as much as as any geek -- ask me about the MCU! -- but at the end of the day is is just technobabble. 

A common tactic for shutting down discussion that someone finds absurd is to dismiss it on realism grounds. In this case, the fact that rubber science and techobabble describe things that aren't real gets used to sweep away comparative studies of the respective universes of Star Wars and Star Trek (or Marvel vs. DC, or whatever). You are absolutely correct when you say "it is just technobabble," but what is the goal of pointing that out except to try and convince people to stop playing the comparison game?