Star Wars 8 complaint box

massey

On 12/29/2017 at 9:16 PM, Christopher said:

Only because of immedaite medical attention.

Also the deflectors were still online.

Also, also, once you get to 95% killing/100% incapacitation chance you stop wasting energy on doing more damage and go for better armor and shield penetration. The remaining 5% not-killing chance is for main characters only.

I could be hit by the main guns of the Yamato in any arm or leg. My little body resistance would certainly not trigger the charge.

It would still reliably rip off the extremity and impart a lot of force on my body. I would certainly be out of whatever fight cause someone to aim such a gun on me. But my chances to survive with medical attention are still good. That is how 5% survival chance can work out.

Horse crap.  If the weapons were as powerful as the Star Wars fans say they are, the TIE fighter would have disintegrated R2.  But it didn't.

Star Wars weapons can't be as powerful as people claim, because their hand weapons can damage ships.  We see people shooting at the Millennium Falcon, and at Boba Fett's ship.  Snowtroopers in Empire are setting up a blaster cannon to shoot at the Falcon, with the apparent expectation that it'll actually hurt it.  We also see a scout walker (that resists hand held blaster fire quite well) get smashed by two logs slamming into it.  The energy involved isn't nearly as high as what people are suggesting.  We see scout walkers and AT-ATs suffer serious damage from falling over, just damage from their own weight impacting the ground.

X-Wings and TIE Fighters can shoot each other, and they usually blow each other up, but they can survive a shot without exploding, if they get lucky.  Again, R2 survives a direct hit from Vader, and there's nothing onscreen to suggest that X-Wings have shields (Y -Wings do).  Sure, R2 got main character defense, but that still puts an upper limit on how powerful Star Wars vehicle weapons are.

Finally, small fighter craft can still damage larger ships.  They don't do a lot of damage, but they do some.  It seems that they need to concentrate on vulnerable areas to have any significant effect.  But they still cause damage.  Fighter weapons have to be capable of both causing damage to Star Destroyers, and also failing to blow up a droid (when they roll bad on damage).  That gives us an idea of where they are, power wise.

On 12/29/2017 at 5:27 PM, zslane said:

According to Riker, it would take the entire photon torpedo payload to destroy a single 5km wide hollow asteroid in "Pegasus". In other words, it would take the entire payload of the Enterprise-D (a capital warship with a crew of a thousand) to equal just one of Jango Fett's seismic charges (a bounty hunter's weapon).

There's a lot of inconsistency in Star Trek.  I don't remember that statement in "The Pegasus", but that would have to be the lowest estimate of photon torpedo damage ever. 

Edit:  I skimmed the transcript of the episode.

http://www.chakoteya.net/NextGen/264.htm

There's nothing in it to indicate the size of the asteroid.  It's indeterminately big.  Data describes it as a "planetary body".  I don't think it's 5 km wide.

Remember, when they discover the asteroids that used to be planet Alderaan, Han says that it couldn't be blown away, it would take more firepower than half the fleet.  That gives us a pretty good upper limit for Star Destroyer firepower.

58 minutes ago, Badger said:

*blink, blink*

So who wants to give Starlord his first smack to the head of the year?:angel:

I'll start. How dare Starlord bring real world films into our science fiction discussion !

What does he think he's doing, derailing a thread ?

We don't go into that behaviour on these boards !

PERSECUTE ! KILL THE HERETIC !

9 hours ago, massey said:

There's a lot of inconsistency in Star Trek.  I don't remember that statement in "The Pegasus", but that would have to be the lowest estimate of photon torpedo damage ever. 

Oddly you can not use full yield when you are on the Inside of a explosion echo-chamber. Like the inside of a hollow asteroid.

They had a similar case where they could not use Torps, because the enemy was too close (the one where Barklay became a supergenious and took over the Ships computer).

Plus they needed minuts to fly into the asteroid. That speaks for it's size.

10 hours ago, massey said:

Horse crap.  If the weapons were as powerful as the Star Wars fans say they are, the TIE fighter would have disintegrated R2.  But it didn't.

The defenses of the X-Wing we still on.

And my guess is that R2 units do not keep "their brains in a bony protusion outside their body".

You can still propably reliably disable them by hitting them in the head with a shiplaser. Just killing a main Character like R2 will not work like this.

I can not tell if R2 was the final Redshirt here. Or doing a application of the "look out sir" rule from Warhammer.

2 hours ago, megaplayboy said:

My complaint, getting back on topic, is that the little arch-nemesis of BB-8 got about 2 minutes of screen time and seemed to mostly be there just to sell an action figure.  

So... business as usual for Star Wars, then?

*cough* Canteen Aliens *cough* IG-88 *cough* Gammorean Guard *cough* Captain Phasma *cough* (okay, that last one was a bit cheeky...)

There's always been cool design work that gets cherry picked for the trailers and makes a good action figure, but which isn't a big deal in the actual film.

In this case, it's a no-brainer and damn little effort to release reskinned BB-8 toys.

With the closure of 2017, EP 8 crossed the 1 billion revenue Treshold. In 3 weeks. And it has not yet aired in china.
https://www.polygon.com/2017/12/31/16836836/star-wars-the-last-jedi-1-billion-global-receipts

In other news someone started a Petition to have EP 8 "sticken from canon":

https://www.change.org/p/the-walt-disney-company-have-disney-strike-star-wars-episode-viii-from-the-official-canon

Signatories are under 80k.

Consiering the million of people that watched it to get that 1 billion figure together, I find their group irrelevant.

4 hours ago, Christopher said:

With the closure of 2017, EP 8 crossed the 1 billion revenue Treshold. In 3 weeks. And it has not yet aired in china.
https://www.polygon.com/2017/12/31/16836836/star-wars-the-last-jedi-1-billion-global-receipts

In other news someone started a Petition to have EP 8 "sticken from canon":

https://www.change.org/p/the-walt-disney-company-have-disney-strike-star-wars-episode-viii-from-the-official-canon

Signatories are under 80k.

Consiering the million of people that watched it to get that 1 billion figure together, I find their group irrelevant.

Let us do some math with those figures:

1 Billion revenue. If each ticket cost 20$, that would be 50 Million viewers. or 50.000k viewers

Just under 80k people on the petition.

That means 80k our of 50.000k people want it stricken for canon. By my math, that is 0.16%.

Some people really seem to like being insignificant, I guess?