Bazza

Who wins Squirrel Girl vs Batman

Who wins Squirrel Girl vs Batman  

33 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who wins Squirrel Girl vs Batman

• Squirrel Girl
    • Batman

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/27/2017 at 02:30 AM

SG because it would be amusing to see Bats taken down by a feisty young woman with squirrel powers.

That's the point of her, after all.

But it doesn't need a full issue devoted to it - just a throwaway line or two panels (facing off, him face down saying 'how?').  I'll agree with the Saturday Night Live comment - it's a fun little joke but it doesn't deserve the screen it gets, in my opinion. 

But I don't buy the book so not buying the book is the only vote I get.

3 hours ago, DasBroot said:

SG because it would be amusing to see Bats taken down by a feisty young woman with squirrel powers.

That's the point of her, after all.

That's what I fail to see, any humour at all in it.

Amusing superhero comics are very difficult to get right. Probably because of the built in absurdity of it all.

Superheroes have to be played straight, even if played for laughs. Especially when played for laughs. 

That's probably why characters like this fall flat for me. 

Here's how it goes down , roughly, in my headcanon (Boom)

Batman knocks Tippy Joe from a tree in his pursuit of justice! The squirrel gives a yip of pain from the fall, and Squirel Girl comes to see what happened! She learns of the Dark Knight's reckless lack of empathy for rodents everywhere

[Treebeard Voice]"A bat should know better[/Treebeard voice]

Batman defeats his foe, only to get attacked by Squirel Girl! His years of training, gadgets, and strategems should mean he would win, but it seems every move he tries is countered or thwarted. Sometimes by squirrels at the most inconvenient places, other times just bad luck.

Batman is losing, and indeed, must cede the victory by fleeing from Squirrel girl. But, he is the king of prep and training.

In the batcave he learns more of this Squirel Girl, her record, her history. And comes to the conclusion her true power is winning against insane odds. Somehow, she affects things beyond probabllty to make it happen. Her powers affect the situation on a quantum level.

There is only one way to defeat her.

Leaving Gotham in Nightwing's hands, he trains for months ! he learns the ways of the brutal Gray Squirrels of the Pine Barrens, and studies the cultural wisdom of the red squirrels of Scotland. It is among the teachers of the flying squirrels where he truly flourishes! After the season of learning is done, he patrols ready for the rematch.

Dressed as a giant squirrel.

He encounters Squirrel Girl who is ready to finish that fight for the wrong he done to Tippy Joe!

Batman pulls out the move so sneaky, so unbatman, that no one expects it from him!

He apologizes, not just to Squirrel Girl, but Tippy Joe, and explains how he was sorry, at the time of the incident thousands of humans AND Squirrels were in danger from the Joker's latest plan to release a toxic gas in the park. That, he says is why he was so focused on getting the bad guy, but if he had only apologized after none of this need have happened.

Squirrel Girl? She begins to cry, and say no, no, SHE was the one who was wrong. "I was so angry at you, so set on Revenge that I let it drive me towards obsession, and gloomy brooding! What sort of superhero forgets to ENJOY the world and celebrate what they're protecting in order to instead wallow in angsty misery?"

Bruce says "um well, maybe they lost someone and ah…"

She waves him off "No need to make excuses for me. I became bitter and unfun, sourhearted and jaded!! Oh it was terrible! I was terrible. I'm sorry, Batman in a Squrrel Suit! I way over reacted, but I want to thank you, thank you for reminding me what being a hero should be! Warm, friendly, and ready to kick evil's butt not because of rage and trauma, but because golly, we've got to keep this wonderful world wonderful. " And she hugs him, her tail causing him to sneeze as it slaps his face.

Batman had figured out the way to beat Squirrel Girl was to have her not want to win!

So victory once more…kind of, grumble… maybe.

HE's gonna go home and have a lobster , he's earned this.

Lobster and a batsulk over his 'victory'

6 hours ago, Jagged said:

That's what I fail to see, any humour at all in it.

Amusing superhero comics are very difficult to get right. Probably because of the built in absurdity of it all.

Superheroes have to be played straight, even if played for laughs. Especially when played for laughs. 

That's probably why characters like this fall flat for me. 

This.  She isn't a superhero, nor even an over-powered superhero.  She's a parody of a superhero.  Give her a parody of the Marvel Universe to play in.  Her presence in the official MU makes the whole thing a self-parody, in a way.

On ‎19‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:24 PM, Starlord said:

Man, I've been out of comics too long...Squirrel Girl is a major character?

Nah, I'd not over-rate that either. She's 20, at university and normally fights crime at no more than a Spider-Man level. Currently in one of the Avengers teams, but who isn't?

What she is, is a popular character with her own quirky book that's a lot of fun without being stupidly over the top like Deadpool. She's even dropped 4th walling.

16 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I wouldn't really call her all that popular, either.  Her book is not a very big seller, barely listed.

It's reportedly doing very well in digital sales and trade reprints (which is how I'm collecting it). My local store can't keep the reprint volumes in stock. But good luck on actually getting the sales figures for those, or for international sales (which would be me if I was getting the monthly book).

I could see it moving to digital only if domestic US issue sales are too low; a lot of the target demographic prefers to read their comics that way, anyway. Digital with hardcopy collected volumes is already how most independent comic creators operate. And they far outnumber the ones working for the Big Two.

Yeah print sales we can get a sense of (not actual sales, but orders from shops, which they hope to sell).  Digital is largely a cypher, and businesses aren't inclined to share that data.  My guess is that its doing better in digital than in print, but isn't a major seller although the film might help.

If they got a better artist :/

On 12/20/2017 at 4:52 PM, Armory said:

This.  She isn't a superhero, nor even an over-powered superhero.  She's a parody of a superhero.  Give her a parody of the Marvel Universe to play in.  Her presence in the official MU makes the whole thing a self-parody, in a way.

I thought NextWave: Agents of H.A.T.E. was a better parody.