Civilians on a Starfleet vessel: what do they do?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Enterprise sure as **** is a military vessel. They have a military system of ranks and chain of command. They operate under military discipline. They are tried, when necessary, in a court *martial

Oh, in THAT case it's easy. You just store all the characters you're not using in quantum non-observational limbo until they're relevant to the story, at which point they spring back into full existen

The French resistance during WWII was a partisan force. Starfleet is nothing at all like a small, loosely organized, woefully under-funded guerilla force. They were the Federation’s “space navy”, mili

2 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Since starfleet is only military in the most vague, least significant sense of the term, I don't know as civilian is all that different than enlisted on a starship.

There is a definite established difference between Starfleet and non-Starfleet in pretty much all the series.

It is just most people tend to try and paint a one size fits all stamp on things.  The TV series made it pretty obvious that some ships, especially long term explorers or long term science vessels would have family aboard.  But they had far more stories rooted in "I hardly ever saw my father/mother/etc. because they were Starfleet and always gone on their ships". 

So I am guessing it is like most modern services when posted out of their home country. 

If the posting is low risk, then it is accompanied. 

If it is not, then it is unaccompanied.

Simple and logical. 

• 2 weeks later...

The last time Star Trek was military in the strictest sense was Enterprise when they had the Macos  (Marines) on board. I haven't watched Discovery, so I have no clue about that show. But TOS has had it's share of civilians, even a Cook. I do remember an episode where Kirk et. al. were served real food. Please correct me if I am wrong I may be remembering the movies.

8 hours ago, Sundog said:

Actually, I think it's on a space station. The TOS Enterprise definitely didn't have a cook.

I disagree.  In "Charlie X" Roddenberry himself played the voice of a chef who reported to Kirk that there were real turkeys in the ovens.

12 hours ago, Strand said:

The last time Star Trek was military in the strictest sense was Enterprise when they had the Macos  (Marines) on board. I haven't watched Discovery, so I have no clue about that show. But TOS has had it's share of civilians, even a Cook. I do remember an episode where Kirk et. al. were served real food. Please correct me if I am wrong I may be remembering the movies.

Wouldn't Starfleet security personnel in later series be the equivalent of the Macos?  Tasha Yar and Worf from TNG, and an loooong line of redshirts from TOS, all of whom provided both onboard security (including armed guard duty on the bridge at times) and landing party cannon fodder.... I mean, protection.

• 1 month later...
On 12/22/2017 at 9:11 PM, megaplayboy said:

Well, they went from basically 0% civilians in TOS to maybe 20% civilians in TNG.  I think 200 civvies out of 1000 passengers and crew is not outrageous.  Probably a mix of scientists, technicians, civil engineers, teachers, etc.  Remember, they're supposed to be seeking out new life and new civilizations--that's going to require people with specializations that are likely to be found outside Starfleet MOS.  Not every Federation vessel is necessarily going to have that military/civilian mix.  A scientific research vessel would likely have more civvies, and a border patrol vessel would likely have very few civilians. AIUI, some of the accommodation for civilians is for married crew or those with families to bring them along--a 5 year mission is a long time away from family.  

Don't forget the TOS Enterprise had about 430 crewman onboard, the Enterprise-D had about 1,000 people.