scott.a.williamson

Multi-Powers as Prefabs

Does anyone know is there a way to create and save a multi-power as a prefab in Hero Designer?

I can create a multi-power.  I give it several limitations, then I add several fixed powers to it. 

All looks good, however, when I save it as a prefab and load it the details of the multi-power are gone.  It has a folder with all the powers listed under it and I can load those into a character just fine, however, I can't load the folder nor can I see any details, notes, or limitations for the multi-power.

In the screenshot below you can see the two multi-powers I've created in the left pane.  I saved this and then loaded the prefab which shows up in the right pane.  Any help would be appreciated.

mult-screenshot.PNG.27455931e992d7c347c475f1bbb57d14.PNG

You cropped the screenshot a bit short.  Immediately below the prefab listing is a "Select" button that will enable when you select the Multipower.  Click it and the Multipower (with all slots) will be assigned to the character.

I know this is not anything to do with what you posted about, but form the looks of your screen shot these should not be in a multipower to begin with.  A multipower is for a group of abilities that cannot all be used at the same time.  If all the powers can be used at once it actually costs you more because you have to buy booth the pool and the slots.

A multipower is used when you want to have a bunch of different things you can do, but cannot do all of them at the same time.  The typical use is weapon that can make various attacks, but you only use one at a time.  For example a phaser from Startrk has different settings including one that is stun only and another that is a RKA.  I purchase the pool once and buy each slot by paying 1/10 the cost for the slot.  So let’s say I have a 60 pool with an OAF.  It costs me 30 pts for the pool and each slot costs 3 pts.  I pay a total of 36 pts.

For something like armor that you are trying to do simply purchase all the powers without a multipower.   In Hero Designer you could use a list instead of a multipower.  It allows you to add a common set of limitations to all powers in the list.

Scott constructed his Multipowers with enough reserve points to run everything at full-power simultaneously, so technically it does work.  As LoneWolf said, there is a better way to do it.  You can use the "List" feature, as LoneWolf mentioned.  You could also construct the armor as a Compound Power.

I do like the list better than the Multi-Power after working with it in Hero Designer.  I was also looking at the Compound Power.  I guess the biggest different I see on a list vs. the Compound Power is that the modifiers you put on a list apply to all items in the list whereas with a Compound Power it doesn't look like that's the case.  Are there any other differences you think I should be aware of?

Also, if I am trying to design an Assault Rifle with an under-mount Grenade launcher do you have any suggestions of the best way to do that?  Since I can't use both weapon functions as the same time that seems like it might work best as a multi-power, but I've not found any good examples.

Look here for a prefab for assault rifles. They are built as Compound Powers.

http://www.herogames.com/forums/files/file/286-modern-assault-rifles/

Grenade launchers are built as STR, Only To Make Standing Or Prone Throws Of Grenades (-2)

The actual grenade itself is a RKA with AoE Explosion. Range based on STR.

All can be combined in a Hero Designer List.

The thing to keep in mind is that multipowers are an actual game mechanic, where lists are a function of hero designer.  List are used to make it easier to create powers with a common set of modifiers, but are actually just separate powers.  Multipowers are a game mechanic designed to allow you to have different powers that cannot all be used at the same time.  The assault rifle with the undermount is a perfect example of what a multipower should be used for. 

You may want to spend some time reading through the rules especially the ones on frameworks, instead of just playing around with the program.

Thanks for the tips guys.  It sounds like I'm on the right track.

C-Note, I did already check out the modern assault rifles, but didn't see any with a grenade launcher.  I'll look in more detail, maybe I missed that. 

Also, yeah, I have re-read the rules a few times and specifically while working on designing something.  I find until I actually do I think I know the rules but then when I try to use them I realize I don't know them as well as I thought.