Tips for conversion from Mutants and Masterminds to Hero

phoenix240

I am the person that link is referring to, so here are some of what I found useful.

Str  Each point is 5 str in Hero   So 5 str is 25 in hero.

Dex  Look at dex, agil and fight and average them out, then look at parry dodge and att.  Usually they will come out at Hero normal, but be careful because M&M is like Hero 6th in that Offence and Defense are divorced from the base stats.  So basically eyeball.  A good rule of thumb is if Att, Parry and Dodge are about 7-8, then make that the OCV/DCV and make the dex accordingly.

Con Same as Str but at a 1:10 ratio.

Body, eyeball.

Int, Ego Pre Com map like Str at a 1:5 ratio

Advantages and Powers.   GO HERE:

http://www.d20herosrd.com/

Most of the powers are easy to figure out and most map to a 1:5 ratio like Str.

So 10 Dam, Range is a 10d6 EB

5 Dam, Str based is a 5d6 HTH attack

Afflictions are either flashes, entagles or mental attacks.

Defences are Toughness times two to PD and ED

so 13 toughness becomes 26 PD 26 ED

M&M does not differentate between regular and Killing, so be careful you don't make some too lethal if you make their attack killing.  For that reason base PD and ED at 8 and resistant.

Movement again eyeball, but generally if they are REALLY FAST, give them a lot of NCM

Advantages mostly become talent or you can ignore them as they influence the action economy.  Three big ones are Ritualist, Arcanist and Gadgeteer.  I'd make them all 40 pt VPP with a lot of disads like RSR and can only change between adventures.

Skills again map to Hero, just look at the document to figure which skill goes where.   If in doubt, make it a KS.

• 6 months later...
On 1/2/2018 at 3:35 PM, Mr. R said:

I am the person that link is referring to, so here are some of what I found useful.

Str  Each point is 5 str in Hero   So 5 str is 25 in hero.

Dex  Look at dex, agil and fight and average them out, then look at parry dodge and att.  Usually they will come out at Hero normal, but be careful because M&M is like Hero 6th in that Offence and Defense are divorced from the base stats.  So basically eyeball.  A good rule of thumb is if Att, Parry and Dodge are about 7-8, then make that the OCV/DCV and make the dex accordingly.

Con Same as Str but at a 1:10 ratio.

Body, eyeball.

Int, Ego Pre Com map like Str at a 1:5 ratio

Advantages and Powers.   GO HERE:

http://www.d20herosrd.com/

Most of the powers are easy to figure out and most map to a 1:5 ratio like Str.

So 10 Dam, Range is a 10d6 EB

5 Dam, Str based is a 5d6 HTH attack

Afflictions are either flashes, entagles or mental attacks.

Defences are Toughness times two to PD and ED

so 13 toughness becomes 26 PD 26 ED

M&M does not differentate between regular and Killing, so be careful you don't make some too lethal if you make their attack killing.  For that reason base PD and ED at 8 and resistant.

Movement again eyeball, but generally if they are REALLY FAST, give them a lot of NCM

Advantages mostly become talent or you can ignore them as they influence the action economy.  Three big ones are Ritualist, Arcanist and Gadgeteer.  I'd make them all 40 pt VPP with a lot of disads like RSR and can only change between adventures.

Skills again map to Hero, just look at the document to figure which skill goes where.   If in doubt, make it a KS.

How do you handle characteristics rated 0 in M and M? Conceptually they seemed be to that equivalent of 8-10 in Hero as in "Typical to slightly 'heroic' human. 

On 7/21/2018 at 10:39 PM, phoenix240 said:

How do you handle characteristics rated 0 in M and M? Conceptually they seemed be to that equivalent of 8-10 in Hero as in "Typical to slightly 'heroic' human. 

That is about right.  But again, depending on whether you use 6th or 5th or 4th, will factor into the stats.  For things like Dex and Con, you may want to bump them up to HERO superhuman levels.  The rest, leave as is!

On 7/23/2018 at 9:10 PM, Hugh Neilson said:

I think I would base CON, PD/ED and STUN/BOD on Toughness.

In pre-6e, DEX is probably defined by BAB and AC  rather than the actual stat, but with OCV, DCV and DEX separated in 6e, you can build characters with high accuracy, low dodging skills and average DEX.

Did you have a formula in mind? Or would you suggest more eyeballing it, using the M and M numbers as guidelines? 

I'd probably derive a formula based on campaign guidelines - M&M tends to use "+10" a lot.  If my game is based on a 12 DC standard, then "+10" becomes 12DCs, and perhaps every additional +1 (or +2) is another DC.

If the standard for defenses is 25, then a +10 Toughness save should be 25 defenses and perhaps every deviation is 2 defenses (or maybe +2 = 5 defenses).

To me, at least, this is a two stage process, first setting te baseline and then setting the extent of variances.  An average M&M character needs to port over as a standard Hero character, and the variances in the M&M builds needs to be consistent with the variances which would be allowed in a Hero campaign. 

Pure formuli often don't work out right in that regard, especially as M&M is linear (a +4 bonus is always a 20% change in the chance of success) and Hero is not (+4 OCV or DCV is a lot).

A lot of conversions require eyeballing it.  After all, you want the characters to be useful in your campaign.  Following a formula can result in villains who are either far too powerful or far too weak.  I don't have the book you're trying to convert (don't have much M&M stuff), but I do have Freedom City.  It's 2nd edition M&M, and I really don't know if they've changed things since then.

Going to a random bad guy, how about Devil Ray, page 146.  He's a Power Level 10 character, so he's basically a "generic" villain.  Since I'll be converting him to 5th edition Hero, I'm going to say this is the equivalent of a 350 point character.  I'm not worried about keeping him within this budget (some powers may just be more expensive than others), but I have an idea of what I'm aiming for.

Starting off, we'll see that Devil Ray has +11 Str.  That's about normal for a character of that power level, so to me that says he's about 12D6 or so.  We'll go with 11D6 damage just to keep it simple.  His attack is +8, so let's just say that's an 8 OCV.  He's got +12 Toughness, and that's pretty good.  If we say an "average" PL 10 character would have 25 Def, then that means this guy probably has about 30.  Now that we've got a rough sketch of about how powerful he is, it's time to get a little more specific, iron out the details.

Devil Ray has a power suit that gives him his abilities.  Outside of the suit, he's a normal guy.  In M&M, he's got a 14 Str, 13 Dex, 16 Con, 10 Int, 11 Wis, 11 Cha.  We could just give him those stats outside of his suit in Hero -- that would work fine, except those aren't stats you'd select in Hero.  They aren't really significant break points (there's no reason for an 11 Presence).  So let's give him a 15 Str, a 14 Dex, a 15 Con, 10 Int, 11 Ego, and 13 Pre.  That looks more like a Champions character.  His Toughness outside of his armor is +3, so let's give him a base PD/ED of about 7.  We'll give him a 3 Speed outside of the suit, because he did buy up his Dex.  Normal figured characteristics for this guy would give him 6 Rec, 30 End, and 26 Stun.

Now, on to the suit.  The lifting chart works differently in M&M.  Devil Ray has three levels of super-strength, and his lifting capacity is rated at 8 tons.  That's roughly a 40 Str in Hero, but our guy is doing more damage than that in his suit.  So we're going to give him a 40 Str, but we're going to need to bump his damage up.  So let's give him 3D6 of Hand Attack.  Now he can do 11D6 damage with his punches.  All this is going to be through an OIF for the suit.  Now his Attack and Defense are +8, so let's say he's got an 8 OCV/DCV.  Sounds like this guy has a 23 Dex in the suit.  I'm going to make it 24, purely because it's easier to put it in Hero Designer that way (it will also bump his Spd up to 4).  His PD/ED go up to 30, as we said earlier.  He's got Protection 9, which is basically Resistant Defense, so we'll make 3/4 of his PD/ED resistant.  That's like 22 points of it.

He's also got Sonar, Darkvision, and Radio.  Those have easy Hero equivalents.  He has the Blast power at +9.  Now... that kinda sucks for a guy at this power level.  With how we've been converting it, that would just be a 9D6 EB.  But for a 350 point villain in Hero, that's not going to do much at all.  So we're going to make an executive decision to raise that to the same level as his punches.  11D6.  This goes to what I said earlier -- a by-the-numbers conversion will sometimes result in characters too strong or too weak.  So we've got to reserve the right to interfere.

Finally he's got Life Support, Swimming and Flight.  We'll go with LS: High Pressure, Breathing, and Cold (because that seems like it makes sense).  He's got Swimming of 8 (250 mph) and Flight of 4 (100 mph), so let's go with a Movement Multipower.  He doesn't need combat movement that fast, but his noncom should be.  So let's say maybe 3" of movement per level.  We're just picking a number that looks good here.  That would give him 24" of Swimming (let's make it a nice 25") and 12" of Flight.  We'll give him a x4 noncombat multiplier on each.  That's not going to get us to exactly the right speed, but it'll get us kind of in the ballpark (188 mph swim and 94 mph fly).

He's got a few skills, but otherwise that's it.  Character done.  Except... well, he's not very good.  He's still only a 4 Speed, and he's got a 15 Con, and he's only 222 points.  Now we need to make sure that he looks more like a Champions character.  He's got a crappy Con, and his figured characteristics could use a boost.  In M&M, he's got a nice grapple bonus (a product of their system), and the move-by action.  It sounds like he probably needs some martial arts in Hero.  He's also got an okay Will save in M&M, but only an 11 Ego in Hero.

So now we're fleshing out the character.  Let's give him his martial arts.  He's got Dodge Focus 2, which I don't remember what it does.  He's got Move-By Action, and a good Grapple.  So that sounds like a dodge maneuver, Martial Grab, and Passing Strike.  Let's go ahead and make it Flying Dodge so that he can do the whole "I'm faster than you in the water" thing.  We might as well give him Martial Strike as well, which means we can pull back on some of that Hand Attack damage.  In fact let's give him a Damage Class with his Martial Arts, and we can drop the Hand Attack altogether.  Environmental Movement: Water is probably appropriate too.

For skills he's got Disable Device, Knowledge Earth Sciences, Notice, Search, Survival, Swim.  Well, those are pretty generic.  His background says he was a military diver, who then worked as a pirate and a smuggler.  So let's give him Breakfall (a necessity for Hero), Demolitions, Survival, Systems Operations, and Tactics.  We'll give him KS: Smuggling Rings, and some kind of Science Skills.  How about just SS: Earth Sciences, cuz that's what they've got on the sheet.

Now our guy is 257 points.  He still needs some more stuff.  Since his Toughness in the suit is high, let's give him a 25 Con to prevent him from being Stunned (still OIF).  We'll also give him a few points of Body, let's make it a 15 because why not?  12 normal, 15 in the suit.  Now he looks like he can survive a fight.  Since he's bought up his Intelligence skills in M&M, let's give him a 13 Int.  And since his Will save is pretty good, let's go ahead and give him a 15 Ego.  Since he's still a 4 Speed, let's bump him up to 5 because he is not a big bulky guy.  And we'll give him an 18 Pre in the suit because he looks cool.

Now he's 300 points, but he's fairly powerful for that level because he's getting an OIF discount.  He looks pretty complete to me.  Throw in some Contacts that a high seas pirate might have, a couple more skills wouldn't really hurt.  You might give him a level with OCV.  He's pretty dangerous, now that I look at it he can do a 14D6 Passing Strike.  You might give him some Flash Defense or something else exotic.  And I imagine that he's got some kind of pirate Followers who he can order around, maybe a Manta-Mobile vehicle.  That'll get you up to 350, but I'm not too worried about exact points.

Anyway, that's how I would convert a character.  All told it didn't take me that long, most of the hour or so I spent doing this was typing the post, not making the character.

Devil Ray

Str 15/40

Dex 14/24

Con 15/25

Body 12/15

Int 13

Ego 15

Pre 13/18

Com 10

PD 7/30

ED 7/30

Spd 3/5

Rec 6/13

End 30/50

Stun 28/49

MANTA Suit (OIF)

+25 Str, +10 Dex, +10 Con, +3 Body, +18 PD, +21 ED, +1 Spd, +5 Pre

22/22 Damage Resistance, 11D6 Energy Blast

Active Sonar 360 degrees, Nightvision, Radio Transmit/Receive

LS: Breathing, Cold, High Pressure

Multipower (OIF)

+23" Swimming x4

12" Flight x4

Breakfall 12- (14-)

Demolitions 12-

Survival 12-

Systems Operations 12-

Tactics 12-

Science: Earth Sciences 12-

Knowledge: Smuggling Rings 12-

Environmental Movement: Water

Flying Dodge

Martial Grab

Martial Strike

Passing Strike

+1 Damage Class

14 hours ago, massey said:

A lot of conversions require eyeballing it.  After all, you want the characters to be useful in your campaign.  Following a formula can result in villains who are either far too powerful or far too weak.  I don't have the book you're trying to convert (don't have much M&M stuff), but I do have Freedom City.  It's 2nd edition M&M, and I really don't know if they've changed things since then.

Going to a random bad guy, how about Devil Ray, page 146.  He's a Power Level 10 character, so he's basically a "generic" villain.  Since I'll be converting him to 5th edition Hero, I'm going to say this is the equivalent of a 350 point character.  I'm not worried about keeping him within this budget (some powers may just be more expensive than others), but I have an idea of what I'm aiming for.

I am going to add that I am assuming that campaign norms suggest a "generic" villain will have, on average, a 12 DC attack, 25 PD and ED, and an OCV and DCV of 8 each.  I may have to make some other standards up as I go.  Let's see how close we get.

Starting off, we'll see that Devil Ray has +11 Str.  That's about normal for a character of that power level, so to me that says he's about 12D6 or so.  We'll go with 11D6 damage just to keep it simple.  His attack is +8, so let's just say that's an 8 OCV.  He's got +12 Toughness, and that's pretty good.  If we say an "average" PL 10 character would have 25 Def, then that means this guy probably has about 30.  Now that we've got a rough sketch of about how powerful he is, it's time to get a little more specific, iron out the details.

I think the norm for a PL 10 character is +10 attack and defense, +10 damage and +10 Toughness.  Attack or damage can rise to as high as 12 provided the other drops an equal amount; ditto toughness and defense.

With that in mind, I would give this guy:

65 STR (he does a little more damage than the average, so I will equate +1 attack to +1 DC);

7 OCV (PL 10 is normally +10, and he is 2 points lower - he hits less often, but hits harder, than an average PL 10 character; note that I am equating a 2 point difference in M&M to 1 OCV in Hero - +0 is then a 3 OCV)

PD/ED of 30 (25 is average, and he is well above average - I am picking 5 defenses per +2 Toughness).

I did not see his defence bonus, but I m guessing +8 (can't be higher given his Toughness), so DCV 7 just like his OCV.

Devil Ray has a power suit that gives him his abilities.  Outside of the suit, he's a normal guy.  In M&M, he's got a 14 Str, 13 Dex, 16 Con, 10 Int, 11 Wis, 11 Cha.  We could just give him those stats outside of his suit in Hero -- that would work fine, except those aren't stats you'd select in Hero.  They aren't really significant break points (there's no reason for an 11 Presence).  So let's give him a 15 Str, a 14 Dex, a 15 Con, 10 Int, 11 Ego, and 13 Pre.  That looks more like a Champions character.  His Toughness outside of his armor is +3, so let's give him a base PD/ED of about 7.  We'll give him a 3 Speed outside of the suit, because he did buy up his Dex.  Normal figured characteristics for this guy would give him 6 Rec, 30 End, and 26 Stun.

14 STR is +2 damage is +2 DCs so I will say 20.  DEX 13 is a +1 Dodge Bonus, so I will say OCV and DCV 4 (I'll let him round up), and a DEX of 13 (3x CV is a decent benchmark; give him the roundup for a better DEX roll).  Mental stats I agree - nothing out of the ordinary.  Could be 10s across the board, as he has no bonuses in M&M, but slightly above is reasonable.

Getting into low Toughness makes it chalenging.  My formula above suggests someone with +0 Toughness has no PD or ED, but they should have 2.  Add [5*3/2] and we get about 9 - 10.  Subtract [5*7/2] from 25 and he gets 6-7.  Call it 8.  I don't care a lot about his outside the suit figured stats,.

Now, on to the suit.  The lifting chart works differently in M&M.  Devil Ray has three levels of super-strength, and his lifting capacity is rated at 8 tons.  That's roughly a 40 Str in Hero, but our guy is doing more damage than that in his suit.  So we're going to give him a 40 Str, but we're going to need to bump his damage up.  So let's give him 3D6 of Hand Attack.  Now he can do 11D6 damage with his punches.  All this is going to be through an OIF for the suit.  Now his Attack and Defense are +8, so let's say he's got an 8 OCV/DCV.  Sounds like this guy has a 23 Dex in the suit.  I'm going to make it 24, purely because it's easier to put it in Hero Designer that way (it will also bump his Spd up to 4).  His PD/ED go up to 30, as we said earlier.  He's got Protection 9, which is basically Resistant Defense, so we'll make 3/4 of his PD/ED resistant.  That's like 22 points of it.

I'll ignore the lifting chart - he lifts what he can lift under Hero rules.  It does not come up often enough to merit special consideration.  So 65 STR in the suit, but taking some back and adding Hand Attack is just as good.

My OCV and DCV are 7/7, as noted above, but same logic says DEX 20 or 21 in the Suit (maybe not if we're in 6e).

His SPD seems typical for a baseline Super, so that's 5 - I agree with 3 outside the suit.  He needs some rDEF, and I like your approach of 75% from armor = 75% resistant.

He's also got Sonar, Darkvision, and Radio.  Those have easy Hero equivalents.  He has the Blast power at +9.  Now... that kinda sucks for a guy at this power level.  With how we've been converting it, that would just be a 9D6 EB.  But for a 350 point villain in Hero, that's not going to do much at all.  So we're going to make an executive decision to raise that to the same level as his punches.  11D6.  This goes to what I said earlier -- a by-the-numbers conversion will sometimes result in characters too strong or too weak.  So we've got to reserve the right to interfere.

Mine is 11d6, as there is a base 2d6 where base in M&M is +0.  We end up at the same place, though.

Finally he's got Life Support, Swimming and Flight.  We'll go with LS: High Pressure, Breathing, and Cold (because that seems like it makes sense).  He's got Swimming of 8 (250 mph) and Flight of 4 (100 mph), so let's go with a Movement Multipower.  He doesn't need combat movement that fast, but his noncom should be.  So let's say maybe 3" of movement per level.  We're just picking a number that looks good here.  That would give him 24" of Swimming (let's make it a nice 25") and 12" of Flight.  We'll give him a x4 noncombat multiplier on each.  That's not going to get us to exactly the right speed, but it'll get us kind of in the ballpark (188 mph swim and 94 mph fly).

LS is flavour to taste.  Base running is 6", base swimming is 2" and base flight does not exist.  3" per level seems reasonable, so 12" flight (slow, but he only has 4 ranks) and 26" swimming (make it 25" seems OK).  If he is unusually fast for M&M, NCM makes sense,.  Otherwise, go with campaign norms.

He's got a few skills, but otherwise that's it.  Character done.  Except... well, he's not very good.  He's still only a 4 Speed, and he's got a 15 Con, and he's only 222 points.  Now we need to make sure that he looks more like a Champions character.  He's got a crappy Con, and his figured characteristics could use a boost.  In M&M, he's got a nice grapple bonus (a product of their system), and the move-by action.  It sounds like he probably needs some martial arts in Hero.  He's also got an okay Will save in M&M, but only an 11 Ego in Hero.

I covered SPD.  CON should align with Toughness, so I'd expect about a 23 at +10 Toughness.  Let's say 25 and you get about 1.5x Toughness to add to base CON.  That's 15 with no suit, 28 with the suit.

I'm not inclined to give every high STR character Martial Arts.  Will Save may be a better measure for EGO, though.  Also mDCV.

So now we're fleshing out the character.  Let's give him his martial arts.  He's got Dodge Focus 2, which I don't remember what it does.  He's got Move-By Action, and a good Grapple.  So that sounds like a dodge maneuver, Martial Grab, and Passing Strike.  Let's go ahead and make it Flying Dodge so that he can do the whole "I'm faster than you in the water" thing.  We might as well give him Martial Strike as well, which means we can pull back on some of that Hand Attack damage.  In fact let's give him a Damage Class with his Martial Arts, and we can drop the Hand Attack altogether.  Environmental Movement: Water is probably appropriate too.

For skills he's got Disable Device, Knowledge Earth Sciences, Notice, Search, Survival, Swim.  Well, those are pretty generic.  His background says he was a military diver, who then worked as a pirate and a smuggler.  So let's give him Breakfall (a necessity for Hero), Demolitions, Survival, Systems Operations, and Tactics.  We'll give him KS: Smuggling Rings, and some kind of Science Skills.  How about just SS: Earth Sciences, cuz that's what they've got on the sheet.

I am thinking Levels in Grab, Dodge and Move By, rather than Martial Art.  I do not have an "everyone has breakfall" game, so we will differ there due to campaign norms.  But maybe some Knockback Resistance from that heavy suit?

Now our guy is 257 points.  He still needs some more stuff.  Since his Toughness in the suit is high, let's give him a 25 Con to prevent him from being Stunned (still OIF).  We'll also give him a few points of Body, let's make it a 15 because why not?  12 normal, 15 in the suit.  Now he looks like he can survive a fight.  Since he's bought up his Intelligence skills in M&M, let's give him a 13 Int.  And since his Will save is pretty good, let's go ahead and give him a 15 Ego.  Since he's still a 4 Speed, let's bump him up to 5 because he is not a big bulky guy.  And we'll give him an 18 Pre in the suit because he looks cool.

I covered CON.  Maybe +1 Toughness goes to +1 BOD and +3 STUN - that means 22 BOD and 56 STUN.  I'd say call a +5 Will Save 15 Ego (5 dMCV) and bump Ego 3 for each +1 Will Save.  That assumes a typical Will Save is +5.  Fort and REF saves have been dealt with through DEX and CV, and Toughness/PD and ED.  PRE to campaign norms.

We come out pretty close, actually.  Norms will get easier as you translate more characters, and may provide at least some benchmark formulas.

Ok I have a quibble with Massey’s conversion. The part about the characteristics converted doesn’t give breakpoints. I would just give him his stats over to Hero. Firstly this is a villain so he doesn’t need to really need to justify the “I need the breakpoint”. However if say you felt he should have a higher roll then by all means buy a couple of increased skill rolls and leave the stat as is. I think Ego was rated  an 11? Then buy say +2 with Ego rolls if you want him to have a -13 roll. Also buying Breakfall just because “it’s too useful” is not a good enough reason imo. Again this is a baseline villain so why should he have to have it? Note with PCs in this regard though I’m more lenient  in this. I don’t mind either skills or higher mechanical rolls than sfx. Like I said just a quibble nothing major great conversion.

What would you make of this character in Champions 5th from Mutants and Masterminds 3rd? He's a player character of a friend offered up as an example to be worked out. 

AKA: Simon Hard Body
Height 6’ 4”     Weight 314lbs.
Hair: Chestnut     Eyes: Hazel
Power Level: 10    Total points spent: 150

Strength 4/12        Total: 36
Agility 0
Dexterity 0
Stamina 4/14
Fighting 6
Intellect 2
Awareness 0
Presence 2

Defenses:        Total: 10
Parry 6        Dodge 5    Willpower 5
Toughness 14    Fortitude 14

Powers:            Total: 86
Super-Strength: Enhanced Strength 8; Power-lifting 4 (Strength 16) • 20 points

Strength Tricks (Array, total cost 13 points)
Cut Loose!: Penetrating 10 on Strength • 10 points
AE: Thunderclap: Cone Area Affliction 10 (Resisted by Fortitude; Dazed, Stunned), Limited Degree • 1 point
AE: Bracing: Immunity 10 (Being moved), Sustained • 1 point
AE: Makeshift Handholds: Movement 1 (Wall-crawling) Limited to surfaces with the material Toughness less than Strength • 1 point

Super-Stamina: Enhanced Stamina 10 • 20 points
Hard Skin: Impervious Toughness 10 • 10 points

Life Support: Immunity 10 (Life Support, Limited to a maximum of about 30 minutes) • 5 points

Super-Movement: Speed 5 (60 MPH); Leaping 7 (1,000 feet) • 12 points

Like Hitting a Brick Wall: Reaction Damage 2, Limited to effect or Damage rank (whichever is lower) Penetrating 1 • 6 points

Advantages:         Total: 7
All-out Attack, Attractive 1, Defensive Attack, Extraordinary Effort, Improvised Weapons, Takedown, Ultimate Effort (Toughness Checks)

Skills:             Total: 11
Close Combat: Brawling 2 (+8)
Expertise: Streetwise 4 (+6)
Expertise: Construction 4 (+6)
Insight 4 (+4)
Intimidation 6 (+8)
Perception 6 (+6)

Combat:
Initiative 0
Melee: Brawling +8        Damage: 12
Strength Tricks +8

Complications:
Motivation - Responsibility: Because he wants to protect the corner of the world his kids live in, a hero seems to be the best option giving his new powers.

Relationship - His kids are the most important thing in his life, he adores them and tries to the best dad he can be.

Public Identity:  Given his looks and the fact that he doesn’t have the money for a real costume.

History:

Simon Allen Alderman was born in the poorer section of Century Station. Not having many options, he grew up rough around the edges, but his heart was always in the right place. Finally managing to settle down with a decent construction job and finding what he thought was the right woman.

Unfortunately, it wasn't meant to be, they gave it the college try, but between his bouncing from job to job -namely blue collar work like sanitation and the aforementioned construction, although well paying- and his lack of sophistication, they broke up and divorced. Luckily he managed to secure visitation rights and on one Saturday out shopping with his daughter and younger son, there was a lab explosion very close by.

They were sprinkled with some sort of nanotech which activated their genes. His daughter, Philomena “Freddie” became a speedster runner, which she proved as she ran to safety. His son, Allen Richard, was suddenly able to fly at incredible speed. As for himself, his papa bear instincts made him into what he believed to be the ultimate protector, his skin toughened, bones hardened, his muscle density amplified and he was now able to lift locomotives. All three made it on the news as they began to help others caught in the blast. Oddly, they also were physically changed to be very attractive, making them very, very photogenic.

Since then though, they've made rescuing others a family affair, like he could stop his kids.

Personality:

Rough and tumble, he's a bit crude and simple, which covers a reasonably sharp mind. Right now, though, he's worried. He can't really control his children as he's officially only allowed to see them once a week, and having them help him when danger arises is the only way he knows how to keep them from hurting others or themselves.

19 hours ago, phoenix240 said:

What would you make of this character in Champions 5th from Mutants and Masterminds 3rd? He's a player character of a friend offered up as an example to be worked out. 

My Preliminary and in complete draft so far.

Hero 5th

Str:     15/60
Dex:   12
Con:   14/24
Bod:   14
Int:      12
Ego:    10
Pre:     12
Com:   15
PD:      28
ED:      28
Spd:       3
Rec:     As Figured
End:     48
Stun:     As Figured

Powers: 

Augmented Strength:+45 Strength
Augmented Stamina: +?
Power-lifting: +20 Strength No Figured Characteristics, only for Lifting/throwing

Hardbody: Resistant on PD/ED

Impervious: Hardened PD/ED 

Multipower: (Strength Tricks):?

Cut Loose: Armor Piercing on 60 Strength
Thunderclap: Area of Effect on 60 strength, damage only, gestures (Must have arms free)
Makeshift handholds: Clinging 60 strength, max 90 Degree incline, damages surface
Bracing: +40 Strength, only to resist being moved, Knocked back, No Figured chars

Skills: 
PS: Construction Worker +1

Power: (Strength Tricks   +4
Martial Maneuvers: (Brawling/Boxing/Wrestling)
Takedown
Defensive Strike
Offensive Strike

In my defense, it is a WIP and done quickly from memory. :)

I'm still not  certain about Speed. For the moment I'm just eyeballing it, assigning it according to the 'type' of character, relative power level and intended campaign standard. I think I made Hardbody's too high for the game he might appear in. Active Defenses are an interesting difference. Mutants and Masterminds breaks them in down in a more granular fashion across two different characteristics and a couple of values. 

18 hours ago, phoenix240 said:

How about something like...

Hard Body

Val    Char    Cost    Roll    Notes
    60    STR    50    21-    Lift 102.4tons; 12d6 [6]
    10    DEX    0    11-    OCV:  6/DCV:  5
    32    CON    22    15-
    15    INT    5    12-    PER Roll 12-
    10    EGO    0    11-    ECV:  3 - 5
    15    PRE    5    12-    PRE Attack:  3d6

6    OCV    15    
    5    DCV    10    
    3    OMCV    0    
    5    DMCV    6    
    2    SPD    0        Phases:  6, 12

7+10    PD    5        Total:  7/17 PD (0/10 rPD)
    7+10    ED    5        Total:  7/17 ED (0/10 rED)
    11    REC    7
    50    END    6
    14    BODY    4
    36    STUN    8    Total Characteristic Cost:  148

Movement:    Running:  20m/40m 
    Leaping:  16m/256m
    Swimming:  4m/8m

Cost    Powers    END
30    Hard Skin:  Resistant Protection (10 PD/10 ED)    0
12    Improvised Weapons:  Blast 6d6; OAF: Object of Opportunity (-1), Limited Power Actual Damage Based On Object of Opportunity's DEF (-½)    3
8    Life Support:  Life Support  (Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing) (19 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Extra Phase (-1 ½)    [1 cc]
13    Like Hitting a Brick Wall:  Blast 2d6 (standard effect: 6 STUN, 2 BODY), Area Of Effect (1m Surface; +¼), Armor Piercing (+¼), Constant (+½) (20 Active Points); No Range (-½)    2
10    Power Lifting:  +20 STR; Limited Power Only for Lifting (-1)    2
45    Strength Tricks:  Multipower, 45-point reserve    
3f    1)  Cut Loose!:  Armor Piercing (x2; +½) for up to 60 Active Points of Strength    3
4f    2)  Thunderclap:  Hearing Group Flash 12d6 (standard effect: 12 Segments), Area Of Effect (10m Radius Explosion; +¼)    4
2f    3)  Bracing:  Knockback Resistance -25m; Limited Power Must Be In Contact with Ground (-¼)    0
1f    4)  Makehift Handholds:  Clinging (75 STR)    0
8    Super-Running:  Running +8m (20m total)    1
21    Super-Leaping:  Leaping +12m (16m forward, 8m upward) (x16 Noncombat)    2
    Brawling
    Maneuver    OCV    DCV    Notes
3    Basic Strike    +1    +0    14d6 Strike
5    Defensive Block    +1    +3    Block, Abort
5    Defensive Strike    +1    +3    12d6 Strike
3    Flying Tackle    +0    -1    12d6 +v/10 Strike; You Fall, Target Falls; FMove
5    Offensive Strike    -2    +1    16d6 Strike
3    Takedown    +1    +1    12d6 Strike; Target Falls

Talents
6    Attractive:  +2/+2d6 Striking Appearance (vs. all characters)
12    Ultimate Effort:  Combat Luck (6 PD/6 ED)

Skills
16    Brawler:  +2 with HTH Combat
6    Knows His Own Strength:  +2 with Strength Tricks

5    Deduction 13-
11    Interrogation 16-
5    PS: Construction 14-
9    Streetwise 15-

Total Powers & Skill Cost:  251
Total Cost:  399

400+    Matching Complications
20    Psychological Complication:  Feels He Has to Live Up To Kids' Expectations (Common; Total)
15    Psychological Complication:  Protective of Family (Common; Strong)
10    Social Complication:  Public Identity Frequently, Minor
15    Social Complication:  Responsible Frequently, Major
15    Social Complication:  Poor Frequently, Major

Total Complications Points:  399

effect: 12 Segments)

HEROJULY2018.hdc

19 hours ago, phoenix240 said:

Do you mean multiply M and M Stamina by 10 to get Hero 5th Constitution? 

Sorry wasn't thinking right at the time.  1:5 ratio

So Strength 10 Stamina 8 would be 50 and 40 in hero.  If you find that too high, then  set up a benchmark and figure from there.  But it is a good rule of thumb.  But also the reverse is true,  A Sta 2 would be 10 in Hero, so feel free to pump it up.