When Did Agents of SHIELD Start To Go Downhill?

Cassandra

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, zslane said:

Well, the sign I was reading was Disney stepping in to inexplicably force a fifth season in spite of the fact that ABC was about to cancel it. Everyone from industry insiders to industry watchers is convinced/assuming that season five will be its last. I suspect they are right, just as we all suspect they are right about Inhumans not coming back despite no formal announcement of that (yet) either. Besides, tossing a show into a Friday night death slot isn't something a network typically does if it intends to keep airing it.

Well...actually...

ABC Entertainment President Channing Dungey said this:

"We are really excited about this fifth season of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.," Dungey said. "I think it's the strongest creative that we've had yet. And the fans seem to be really responding to it well. We made the move [to Friday] pretty much intact; our ratings are essentially the same as they were. Delayed viewing continues to be strong, so we're feeling optimistic about that show."

http://www.tvguide.com/news/abc-marvel-agents-of-shield-inhumans/

2 hours ago, death tribble said:

When did Agents of SHIELD go downhill ?

Why when Cassandra started posting that there was a problem with it !

As someone who watched every episode of Babylon 5, a appreciate an overall arc in a TV series.  The problem I have with Agents of SHIELD is that they drag things out too long.  Last season left the team with no way of clearing their names or reforming SHIELD.  Now they're stuck on a shattered Earth which means they either have to kill Daisy off.  And you'd think The Avengers or anyone else in the cinematic universe would notice the world coming to an end.

And they completely ripped off "The Case of the Stolen Superpowers" from the Legion of Superheroes for that whole Lincoln sacrifice storyline.

1 minute ago, Psybolt said:

Well...actually...

ABC Entertainment President Channing Dungey said this:

"We are really excited about this fifth season of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.," Dungey said. "I think it's the strongest creative that we've had yet. And the fans seem to be really responding to it well. We made the move [to Friday] pretty much intact; our ratings are essentially the same as they were. Delayed viewing continues to be strong, so we're feeling optimistic about that show."

http://www.tvguide.com/news/abc-marvel-agents-of-shield-inhumans/

Field Marshal Montgomery felt optimist about Operation Market-Garden, a plan that dropped the the British 1st Airborne Division eight miles from the Bridge at Arnhem on top of two S.S. Panzer Divisions and required a three day period of good weather over the English Channel in mid-September!

8 minutes ago, Cassandra said:

Field Marshal Montgomery felt optimist about Operation Market-Garden, a plan that dropped the the British 1st Airborne Division eight miles from the Bridge at Arnhem on top of two S.S. Panzer Divisions and required a three day period of good weather over the English Channel in mid-September!

He should have been watching Agents of SHIELD instead then.  It would have made his life much better.

3 minutes ago, Psybolt said:

He should have been watching Agents of SHIELD instead then.  It would have made his life much better.

Monty was always a bit pompous.  When Ike was President he took Montgomery to Gettysburg and the Field Marshal managed to insult both the Union and Confederate Generals.

18 hours ago, Certified said:

I don't know Season 1 Episode 2?

Agreed!  

The series never lived up to its potential, and it's been mostly downhill after the pilot episode.

They've had several moments when it looked like they were going to turn it around, but they've always botched it in the end.

Episode 1, Season 1... even with some of the Joss Whedon humor/dialogue (in the first episode only) the show has been a disappointment since the beginning. I'm much more of a Netflix Marvel fan. (And the new Black Lightning! First episode was a very strong, written for adults, kind of superhero show... unlike most of the CW.)

2 hours ago, Cassandra said:

I watched Supergirl last night, and I'm looking forward to seeing how they resolve the currently storyline.  With Agents of SHIELD you've got May locked in a closet for weeks on end.

I do enjoy Supergirl as well, as the flip side of the more serious/mature drama I prefer. Supergirl owns its cheesy-ness and has the sincerity and heart in the acting to make the soap opera characters really enjoyable... despite the terribly inconsistent use of high level powers that plague it and Flash. I did get a kick out of last week's Legion Flight Rings (haven't watched this week, yet.)

I think I will always resent Agents of SHIELD for removing one of the most memorable and impactful "deaths" from canon. Coulson's death in The Avengers was perfect. Bringing him back ruined it. (But then same could be said for Phoenix and Flash in the comics. etc.) Marvel's unwillingness to put meaningful death into their movies is the only major downside, IMO, of the MCU. Even when they truly do kill of a bunch of named characters in Ragnarock, they made a joke out of it, which is my only real gripe with that otherwise hilarious movie.

Edited by RDU Neil

The MCU is like a carebear RPG campaign where the PCs are never allowed to die (except temporarily) while villains and NPCs are routinely killed in each adventure arc.

I read that quote from ABC's president and I see a man dutifully toeing the corporate line, adding all the necessary spin to a situation he didn't particularly approve of in the first place, but had no power to veto.

1 hour ago, zslane said:

The MCU is like a carebear RPG campaign where the PCs are never allowed to die (except temporarily) while villains and NPCs are routinely killed in each adventure arc.

I read that quote from ABC's president and I see a man dutifully toeing the corporate line, adding all the necessary spin to a situation he didn't particularly approve of in the first place, but had no power to veto.

I disagree almost completely with that assessment.  But even if I agreed, this is not a thread about MCU.  It is Agents of SHIELD, which might have its own little niche in the MCU, but it really is more separate that connected.  As for AoS, there have been plenty of deaths over the five years, including some important characters.

Still, it is the genre of super hero movies/shows.  Returning form the dead is a distinct component of the genre.  And it happens in places besides the MCU.  I seem to remember seeing Superman's funeral.  Didn't Batman blow up in a helicopter at the end of the Dark Knight Rises?  Heck, the Fast and the Furious has had its share of return from the dead.  Didn't Gandalf fall to his apparent death in Lord of the Rings?  I would prefer deaths to remain deaths, but you cannot single out the MCU for that.

Agents of SHIELD is both too connected and not connected enough with the Marvel Cinematic Universe.  Its connected to the point that its messing with their ability to tell stories (basically its their Animatrix series, where they fill in blanks between stories) and not connected enough in that it doesn't really feel like its part of the same world as the movies.

Should have ended after season 1. Ward's betrayal was a great moment. Everything from there went down hill fast.

In season 3 Daisy becomes a true Mary Sue, an actual messiah like figure where the universe has actually bent itself in knots  to protect her. That was the reasoning behind the inhuman killer, that wanted to kill all inhumans, not wanting to kill her but protect her.

2 hours ago, Psybolt said:

I disagree almost completely with that assessment.  But even if I agreed, this is not a thread about MCU.  It is Agents of SHIELD, which might have its own little niche in the MCU, but it really is more separate that connected.  As for AoS, there have been plenty of deaths over the five years, including some important characters.

Still, it is the genre of super hero movies/shows.  Returning form the dead is a distinct component of the genre.  And it happens in places besides the MCU.  I seem to remember seeing Superman's funeral.  Didn't Batman blow up in a helicopter at the end of the Dark Knight Rises?  Heck, the Fast and the Furious has had its share of return from the dead.  Didn't Gandalf fall to his apparent death in Lord of the Rings?  I would prefer deaths to remain deaths, but you cannot single out the MCU for that.

I was responding to this statement:

"Marvel's unwillingness to put meaningful death into their movies is the only major downside, IMO, of the MCU." -- RDU Neil

I presume you disagree almost completely with that assessment too, yes?