Moderator Note to folks: Regarding the F word overuse

Hermit

Folks (And I do mean more than one, not trying to single ANYONE person out, but this seems a good thread to bring it up...again)

Only in referring to cancer (the medical condition, not the poster) And COVID (In the Coronavirus thread) are we supposed to use a certain F word on these boards. The Admins have in the past reminded folks that while we tend towards older demographics we want this to be a family friendly board over all. SO...  I mention this now and then, and yet still if I do a search, folks ignore it..a lot.

So far my options appear to be...

Start issuing warnings and infractions

Clear them up only to have them happen again

a mix of above

Or... entertain myself in how I edit the F word because it really gets tedious.

So if you start seeing comments like "I really fluttershyed up at work today" where you thought more standard language was. Now you know why. 

And if I start to think folks are doing this deliberately just to see how fun it could be, I'll consider that making more work for me, surrender, and just go straight to the warnings or more likely infactions.

I am getting too fuzzylumpkin old for this Snugglypoo

• Hermit pinned this topic
53 minutes ago, Hermit said:

You may frak , frag, frell or feltercarb to your heart's content. 

but please, no Foxtrot-Uniform-Charlie-Kilo unless referring to the medical condition of cancer

Oh, fornication.

1 hour ago, Hermit said:

Only in referring to cancer (the medical condition, not the poster) are we supposed to use a certain F word on these boards.

I'm unclear on why the word is considered appropriate to use in that context. I can see why it would match the emotions evoked by dealing with that illness; but frankly, there are a lot of situations you could say that about. And we can't assume that a younger reader would avoid a thread dealing with the topic of cancer. If the word is deemed inappropriate to this forum, it shouldn't appear anywhere here IMHO.

5 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

I'm unclear on why the word is considered appropriate to use in that context. I can see why it would match the emotions evoked by dealing with that illness; but frankly, there are a lot of situations you could say that about. And we can't assume that a younger reader would avoid a thread dealing with the topic of cancer. If the word is deemed inappropriate to this forum, it shouldn't appear anywhere here IMHO.

Probably for the reasons you mention... Mostly because Dan said it was and as he outranks me. 

;)