Moderator Note to folks: Regarding the F word overuse

Hermit

5 hours ago, Old Man said:

Sympathies, Brian.  I note that cancer therapies seem to improve every year; I fervently hope that you can be cured sooner rather than later.

7 minutes ago, Hermit said:

Sympathies  and Old Man is right (Not that I admit THAT often ;) ) , treatments get better every year. Here's hoping 

Thanks guys. My type of lymphoma has no cure (as of now), but it has a 90% treatment rate so that I’ll be in remission for years. Then I’ll do it all again, only hopefully with better therapies. I’m still getting used to the idea, but I’m feeling positive. 

8 hours ago, zslane said:

The 4e Hero System Rulesbook exists in PDF form (not simply a scan of the pages, either), so you shouldn't have any trouble with inventory there.

Is that in the HERO store?  Because the one I picked up elsewhere is a book scan.  A good one, but a book scan nonetheless.

Brian: you've alread got a leg-up on attitude.  Anyone that likes Mr. T has the right attitude already. ;)

On 1/25/2019 at 7:38 AM, Brian Stanfield said:

Not to ruin everyone's fun, but I got diagnosed with cancer a few weeks ago and started chemotherapy this week. Is it wrong that one of the first things I thought was, "All right! Now I get to drop F-bombs on the Hero Forums!"

Anyway, it's lymphoma and is highly treatable, but not curable, so I'll always have it and my F-bombs won't even be all that special or unique anymore. Darnit. But no worries. I don't want to bring people down.

Just let me leave this right here . . . .  

Fuck you, cancer!!!!  

Nah, it's just not that cathartic. :hush: So much for the one benefit I was really looking forward to abusing!

Thoughts and prayers.  I survived colon cancer last year (which was only discovered after I had an abdominal aortic aneurysm that ruptured; that's a whole different story).  You're not alone.  I'm a firm believer that one's attitude and outlook have a tremendous effect on health, for good or ill, so hang in there!

On 1/25/2019 at 4:38 AM, Brian Stanfield said:

Not to ruin everyone's fun, but I got diagnosed with cancer a few weeks ago and started chemotherapy this week. Is it wrong that one of the first things I thought was, "All right! Now I get to drop F-bombs on the Hero Forums!" 

Best wishes. That was a sympathy like, not a "wow, that's great news!" like up there. :D

On 1/25/2019 at 7:38 AM, Brian Stanfield said:

Not to ruin everyone's fun, but I got diagnosed with cancer a few weeks ago and started chemotherapy this week.

While everyone else is giving you their sympathies, I'm going to go out on a limb and congratulate you in advance for the superpowers you're going to get through the treatment process, when that freak lighting strike while you're getting chemo alters your body chemistry radically. 

Seriously, though, get that cancer into remission, Brian.  Kick its a**.  I pity the fool lymphoma that wants to mess with you.

45 minutes ago, BoloOfEarth said:

While everyone else is giving you their sympathies, I'm going to go out on a limb and congratulate you in advance for the superpowers you're going to get through the treatment process, when that freak lighting strike while you're getting chemo alters your body chemistry radically. 

Seriously, though, get that cancer into remission, Brian.  Kick its a**.  I pity the fool lymphoma that wants to mess with you.

You know, I had considered that myself. As the treatments get more experimental, the likelihood of coming out of this with super-powers seems pretty clear. 

I've always been a fast healer, to the point that my friend said that "healing" is my actual super-power. Unfortunately, lymphoma is directly attacking my ability to heal. Clearly there is a dark reveal on the horizon, and some inevitable nemesis who will come to the fore. 

Just now, Brian Stanfield said:

You know, I had considered that myself. As the treatments get more experimental, the likelihood of coming out of this with super-powers seems pretty clear. 

I've always been a fast healer, to the point that my friend said that "healing" is my actual super-power. Unfortunately, lymphoma is directly attacking my ability to heal. Clearly there is a dark reveal on the horizon, and some inevitable nemesis who will come to the fore. 

Perhaps its tacky to say...but

I would pay to see this movie ?

I created a character once who was a college football player trying to get an edge, and took an experimental HGH to build up his body. Something went wrong and he ended out with a super-high metabolism. He was a brick/speedster with a whole series of martial art “football” maneuvers. 

I sort of of feel like I may have been foreshadowing . . .

Nah, he had a 'football powers' suite and he was on a team.  I think his name was 'Blue' something, completely cliche 'jock' personality and I thought he'd gotten his abilities from steroids or something.  The book came out around the same time as European Enemies and the same artist from EE worked on the character.

Man, that's gonna bug me that I can't remember.

4 minutes ago, Starlord said:

Nah, he had a 'football powers' suite and he was on a team.  I think his name was 'Blue' something, completely cliche 'jock' personality and I thought he'd gotten his abilities from steroids or something.  The book came out around the same time as European Enemies and the same artist from EE worked on the character.

Man, that's gonna bug me that I can't remember.

Could you be thinking of  Blue Streak , a member of the villain group known as Spectrum from the 4th Edition book Champions Presents. I enjoyed that one a lot.

Hey Brian.

Sympathies mate. Glad to see you've got such a positive attitude, it makes a huge difference.

If you don't mind, I'd like to share a similar story, with a very positive outcome. My dad was diagnosed with a type of leukemia last year. Like you, his cancer is not curable but is treatable. The chemo is working just fine and, because it's a low dose, isn't impacting on his lifestyle at all. Modern medicine is great.

On 1/29/2019 at 7:13 PM, drunkonduty said:

Hey Brian.

Sympathies mate. Glad to see you've got such a positive attitude, it makes a huge difference.

If you don't mind, I'd like to share a similar story, with a very positive outcome. My dad was diagnosed with a type of leukemia last year. Like you, his cancer is not curable but is treatable. The chemo is working just fine and, because it's a low dose, isn't impacting on his lifestyle at all. Modern medicine is great.

Thank you so much! The more success stories I hear, the better! At this point I’ve got cancer in 83% of my bone marrow (in addition to my entire lymphatic system), so it seems very similar to leukemia in that sense. I start my first serious dose of chemo this morning and I’ve been a little bit edgy because I haven’t been getting any of the success stories to remind me that things are going to be ok. Seriously, thank you. This came at just the right moment. 

On 1/29/2019 at 3:42 PM, Starlord said:

I seem to remember a similar guy in a Champions Enemies book.  Can't remember the title.

I never saw any of those villains, and thought I was being clever and original given all the PED press today. But I forget that the steroids epidemic was a big deal in the ‘80sas well. And the ‘90s . . . And the aughts . . . . Ok, I’m not as clever as I’d like to be. :help:

22 minutes ago, Brian Stanfield said:

I never saw any of those villains, and thought I was being clever and original given all the PED press today. But I forget that the steroids epidemic was a big deal in the ‘80sas well. And the ‘90s . . . And the aughts . . . . Ok, I’m not as clever as I’d like to be. :help:

Don't feel bad.  I once came up with a plotline in a past Champions campaign, with a mind-controller who was using his powers to manipulate the heroes to help get himself into the Presidency.  Thought I was being so original.  It was only afterward that I realized I was mirroring a lot of the Puppetman plotline from Wild Cards.

• 1 month later...