Greatest American Hero Reboot

Starlord

On the surface the casting sounds almost militantly politically-correct, but execution will tell whether that's offensively overplayed or just a background reflection of societal progress. But the way the lead character is described does concern me. William Katt's protagonist was a decent, responsible man, a teacher who cared about his students; not a tequila-swilling, karaoke-singing ne'er-do-well.

That was the wonderful thing about Ralph, he was in his way, as noble and giving as Superman himself...just minus the skil levels and with a lot of activation rolls *chuckle* 

This is not the first time a woman got the suit  of course

The Greatest American Heroine was never aired, but Ralph did hand off the suit to Holly when his identity got public and the aliens insisted

But like LL, I'm a bit dubious on the choice of a jerk for the suit regardless of gender. The writers need to give her some redeeming features from the get go because as fierce as the competition is for superhero fans right now? I'm not going to wait a whole season cheering on someone I dislike.

4 hours ago, Bazza said:

Believe it or not, the show will either be successful or a failure. 

Believe it or not, it'll succeed or will fail
I guess we'll just have to wait and see-ee

Fan patience isn't a virtue - buzz is the key

Diverse or just PCeee?
If it gets to air we will see

I watched the show when it was on, and liked parts of it. But I always hate, *hated*, HATED that Ralph was so endlessly incompetent. I've always suspected that they felt they needed that comedic element because otherwise nobody could possibly take a superhero tv show seriously. I was willing to forgive a learning curve, if it were steep enough, but when bumbling around was all there was I lost interest.

I've had the same response to some novel series; the Stephanie Plum novels, for instance. She's a New Jersey woman who takes up bounty hunting for lack any better option, and she's really bad at it. If she had learned, and made NEW mistakes as time went on, I'd have read more than the first two or three. But she didn't. She kept making the SAME stupid mistakes over and over again. I know they're supposed to be comedic novels (and with a Romance coating as well), but how many times can your heroine forget to bring a gun, or handcuffs, when trying to arrest people before you write her off as an IDIOT?

When/if this reboot/sequel happens, I'll try it out. But if the new heroine is as much of a boob as Ralph was, I won't stick around.

Ralph's redeeming quality was that he was a genuinely good person. What he lacked in skill or competence, he made up in heart. Hence, Greatest American Hero.

If that's not going to be the case with the reboot, then I can think of no good reason to watch it.

I guess we'll see.

Seems like an odd choice for a reboot, since the show was sort of a joke to begin with.  I never really liked the show, although the two lead characters were at least likable, heroic figures.  Like sinanju it bothered me that he never got any better, he was perpetually incompetent and hapless and it was annoying.  Nice guy but obviously retarded or something.