LFG: Fantasy Hero Online

MrKinister

I would rather have a solid session of roleplay where we get together for three or four hours and do stuff. Even if it was once a month, it would move far faster than any email or play by post could ever achieve. (Even if it was text-only!)

You know, I may be able to swing Monday nights.

Let me know what's possible.

@Diamond Spear I agree with @MrKinister that "I would rather have a solid session of roleplay where we get together for three or four hours and do stuff" even if infrequently. 
My pitch thus far then: 

• Every two weeks for 3+ hours on a Monday
    •  I can start as early as 8:00PM Eastern (this time of year 5:00PM my time in Arizona). 

That sounds good. Every other week is fine. Way back when, when I used to run a D&D 3.5 game, we would get together in person every other week for 6 to 8 hour Saturday sessions. It worked out fine because everyone had a weekend in between to do what ever they wanted, and I had that weekend to plan and prep for next week's session.

A 3 or 4 hour session should be just fine with me. 😃

5 hours ago, Diamond Spear said:

Do Thursdays work for y’all 

Unfortunately not. Monday was good because it looks like my schedule is shifting a day, but Thursday is firmly planted in the "work day" category, and I would have little chance of shifting hours to make time for a game then.

My schedule is pretty open, I am in California for time purposes.  I would love to play and am comfortable running a FH game.  I am less comfortable with the online tabletop software but have figured out how to play Champions on it.  Just not a pro.  

On 5/14/2019 at 3:45 PM, Anonanonanon said:

im starting up a discord server for a 6e fantasy game. its currently intended as a sort of hybrid game experiment with text (if people cant find the time for more scheduled gameplay) and normal gameplay. 

Yes, where is this Discord server you want to set up?

It would be interesting to see what you have in mind,

So far, we have Diamond Spear trying to arrange for a Thursday game, and Anonanonanon with the possibility of a Discord-based text game. 

Promising. 😃

So... Diamond... what are you thinking? Is Thursday the only day you have open? If so, I shall bow out because... it's Thursday. Others may join you, though. 

15 hours ago, Khymeria said:

My schedule is pretty open, I am in California for time purposes.  I would love to play and am comfortable running a FH game.  I am less comfortable with the online tabletop software but have figured out how to play Champions on it.  Just not a pro.  

And Khymeria, of course.

I feel that the choice of VTT is not so critical. Any one system that can show a map and can have its participants move tokens on is quite sufficient in my opinion. This being the Hero System, we know they will not have support for the specific nuances (speed chart, character sheets, etc) of the game's mechanics. Which ever system you pick I am sure we can learn to handle it, as we always have when playing an actual table top: pencil and paper for notes (although nowadays it is more water-soluble pens and the old Chessex battlemats).

If you are up for running a game, do you have a particular frequency, day of the week, and session length in mind?

I can do as often as weekly, on the weekends, and perhaps Monday as well, for a max length of perhaps 6 hours, although 4 hours would be a nice easy session.

And, if you do choose to run a game, what type of setting do you have in mind? High Fantasy? Swords & Sorcery? Something unusual? Perhaps homebrew?

PS: I am in California as well, so coordinating times would be easy (or easier anyway).

I like a little fantasy in my fantasy and the characters to shine a little. Hero System accomplishes that and allows for better storytelling because it isn’t as hit point wear down as some other systems. I will definitely homebrew and rely on Fantasy Hero a bunch. 

Weekends are good, and so are Mondays so let’s leave that a little open until we possibly stir up other players. Four hours is a good session length. 

You wouldnt happen to be in the Bay Area? 

Edited by Khymeria
Spelling

Khymeria: I am currently in Los Angeles. Would be one heck of a commute for a weekly drive. 😃

Maccabe: personally I like Moderate or High Fantasy. Something bright and heroic. I don't like Dark Fantasy or low-powered/Iron Age Fantasy. Standard power settings. But I can be adaptable, depending on the game and GM. I like archers, versatile rogues, and cunning mages as personalities/contributions to the game when I design my characters. I have yet to play an armored warrior (plate, sword, and shield) in all my Fantasy Hero games. 

So I don't have as much experience GMing a fantasy game as I do a supers game but I have enough to know that 100 point starting value doesn't really cut it for an exciting character out of the gate.  I like spells and possibly an ability done as a power, like a healing touch of a holy warrior or scurrying up a wall.  It appears that me and @MrKinisterare on the same page as far as likes.  I like the heroes to be just that.  So nutshell, high fantasy with competent, exciting characters.  Suggestions for a point total to start are welcomed.  @Mccabe what are your preferences for your type of fantasy question?  Once you decide on the type of characters, I will give you the setting details so you can flush it out.  I have documents to send you on the setting.  I can really handle any race/class combination in my setting so have at it.

Yeah sorry, 175 sounds about right.  I didn't have book handy and my brain was stuck in older edition mode.  

As far as how magic works, I have designed a world that allows for me not to have to say "no that isn't allowed" or "that isn't in my world", because as a player in other games and other Hero system games this always bothered me.  So what I propose is you describe the character you want to play, the archetype, race, how you see your magic working.  For example a dwarf might want to use Rune magic to fit with the dwarven way.  A character might want to be like somebody in the Shannara bloodline and have a bit of sorcery , or a more Vancian style mage (which are the most typical for the setting because I grew up comfortable in the arms of D&D) which is represented pretty well with Azgandian Magic from Fantasy Hero.  Divine Magic from Fantasy Hero pretty much nails it if that is how you choose to get your magic although the limitation (only for diety's purpose) is a bit restrictive and not necessary.  A diety would never grant the faithful a spell that opposes their domain.  But, a god of war might allow a priest to create a feast to boost morale before heading off to battle even though this is not necessarily in their domain.  It can sometimes stymie players when presented with a lot of option so create freely and then we can adjust and tinker to find a home in the world.  I left lots of open space to accomodate for this as well as a planar system that crosses over in "bumps" so if you really create something odd, it is a one of a kind in the realm and was left their when this plane "bumped" momentarily with your home plane.   Got more questions, ask away, rpgs are a collaborative storytelling effort.

Edited by Khymeria
Spelling

Describe the type of character you would like to play. I think you and I are on the same page for game theme, both being fans of higher magic and heroics.  Do you want to use spells? Where do you get your spells from? A patron like an demon prince, arch fey lord, a diety, family bloodline, a spellbook and knowledge of arcana? Do you see yourself using weapons primarily? What weapons?  What race would you like to be? Any of your standard fantasy races can be handled easily in the setting? Are you a barbarian shaman that takes on animal traits? An elf destined to be the greatest archer that ever lived. A half lung alchemists skilled in using hallucinogenic bombs in combat? What character would you like to play?  It’s Hero System which has flexibility as an advantage so I intend to use it.