LFG: Fantasy Hero Online

MrKinister

56 minutes ago, Maccabe said:

I'm  not into gritty realistic "low fantasy" and it's been so long since I created a Fantasy HERO character I wouldn't know where to start.  Any suggestions would be greatly helpful.

I can't say this will be exceptionally helpful but here is my 2 cents.

In a "fantasy" setting, I try to build backwards.

If there is magic, define how it works, for creatures, for heroes, for devices/weapons.

Define the threats and the powers/abilities that they will have.  Low end threats, middle threats, greater threats and of course epic big bads. 

Then once you know how tough it will be, then sketch out PC's builds, any requirements the must have, any things they cannot have and any required limitations/advantages. 

Fantasy Hero simply covers too wide a range of possibilities to be able to give a credible answer until you have established ground rules. 

Personally, I like to pick a series, movie, anime, etc. that I can use as an example to describe things for the players.  Once they have an idea of how the campaign world works, players are pretty good at building unique PC's for that world.  And adding spins that make the games fun.

Here are some guidelines for my homebrew world. 

All standard D&D races are represented, this is because it is a system neutral setting but I wanted players that were familiar with D&D to feel at home.  This includes tieflings (which are actually extraplanar creatures that were spilled accidentally in the world and are largely unwelcome, think District 9 or Alien Nation.  Dragonborn are represented as well as gamers like dragon PCs.  They great part about Hero System is the flexibility to create your dragon man how you see it.  Are you a black dragontype and can breathe water, do you have claws/fangs, etc.?   

Things are spread out because when I watch fantasy movies they are always journeying.  Often their is a point of geography that separates people, empires, and religions.  It also allows for the players to have territory to claim, conquer, mold as their own.  This irks me about standard fantasy settings like the Forgotten Realms, every piece of real estate is claimed.  

It is a pretty standard world, some places have more magic than others and most of it is rare, which keeps it fantastic.  Your magic can come from your bloodline (sorcerer), a book/scrolls/clay tablets (wizard), the elements (druid), a pact you have made with something (warlock and kind of cleric).  I don't want to break it down into classes but it appears that the standard fantasy archetypes might help.  If you have a question or anything about a type of character you want to play, that would help.  A rogue, a cavailier, a barbarian, a shaman, a witch, a monk, a ranger, a sneaky wizard.  It will be much easier to mold to what you want than for me to give you pages and pages of setting to read, instead of you saying the character you would like, and then me filling in options based on that type or character or their place in the world.  

I hope that helps.  You can say like Legolas, or Conan, or Drizz't, or Gray Mouser, or the Hound and that is at least a base of what you want to play.

Well, it sounds like you are actually up for running a game.

I like classic mages, but not Vancian. I am looking at the research academic, steeped in books and arcane philosophies. A possible wide variety of minor spells of all types (represented by a small VPP, perhaps 15 AP max), along with a small bevy of heavier spells, carried possibly in a 30 or 40 AP Multipower pool. This allows the mage to have no particular specialization, but makes him capable of casting a decent variety of utilitarian spells, some battle spells, some restoration spells, and perhaps some travelling spells.

That would definitely be a mage I'd see being "smart", using what he has to his advantage, and avoiding unnecessary conflict where possible.

What do you think of those ideas? They are mostly mechanical in nature, since the concept has already been done many times.

Not sure if this helps guys but I'll throw it out there just in case. I found that DOJHERO 1101  (Champions, Powers) book to be super useful for fleshed-out examples of powers I would like my character to have and they can be used as spell powers or magical powers as well, its done a lot of the work for you.

Thanks @PenDrake777, I have that but on point suggestion. I want martial characters to use powers to represent combat expertise if the players choose. It separates just pluses and minuses and damage into a realm above gritty. 

@MrKinister I like what you’ve proposed. It seems to be an easy way to simulate a body of spells. Perhaps with a focus, or gestures, or incantations, and requires a skill roll to balance it with weapons and create the learned magic feel.  Work up your spells and let’s see what we get.  Were you thinking of a human by the way? 

On 5/16/2019 at 2:22 PM, MrKinister said:

Yes, where is this Discord server you want to set up?

It would be interesting to see what you have in mind,

So far, we have Diamond Spear trying to arrange for a Thursday game, and Anonanonanon with the possibility of a Discord-based text game. 

Promising. 😃

So... Diamond... what are you thinking? Is Thursday the only day you have open? If so, I shall bow out because... it's Thursday. Others may join you, though. 

ill post a link to it when everything is finished so to speak. i have some players and i want to more or less start things with them (especially since some are new to the hero system and want to introduce rules at a slower pace for them). because of the nature of text based games, if more people join, having another gm may be required as well. im also working to "document" things right now like significant parts of the setting, non standard rules applied to this game, etc. if you really want i can post the link now, but it should be noted the game hasn't started yet for the most part

• 8 months later...

That is my hope. To form another group

I am a Lllooooooooooong time HERO GM / Player / Evangelist and I have my sights set on

the next thing for On line gaming.  Called Tabletop Simulator.

Available on Steam for a one time cost of 19.99

Better than Roll20 which puts you on the treadmill.

Recently a British programmer has finished a HERO Virtual Tabletop for this software and it is

being play tested, going to be released ...  <Buckeroo> Real soon </Buckerroo>

I want to learn it, master it and run a Turakian Age game.

TTS (Tabletop Simulator) is Virtual, 3 D and even usable with Oculus, though that part we are not doing.

I admit that the interface will be new, but the game itself is HERO, have that down in spades.

We would use Skype for VOIP

My pitch is this, I have the time for a dedicated 6 hour a week game, likely on Sat or Sun,

definitely not on a Tues. I am a Role player and enjoy Role play, Intrigue / adventure and combat

I have definite ideas on how Magic, Clerical and combat works in Turakian Age.

Turak itself is a Myth, it is a story you tell to scare children, Turak is so far removed form the events of Arduna that the Ages have made any effect it had on the world nothing but hoax or hallucinogenic fever dream, as the Gods intend.

If you have interest, I will consider all char submissions as character description / history and will build the characters myself, leaving !25% to be finished by the player.

Personally I would love to play but...being in Scotland and having a family and job and all that, i can't commit to that much time (dying though I am to try out TTS). 

If anyone was running a PbP game though, I'd be down for that because that would fit in my schedule.

On 2/6/2020 at 2:43 AM, lensman said:

I am a Lllooooooooooong time HERO GM / Player / Evangelist and I have my sights set on

the next thing for On line gaming.  Called Tabletop Simulator.

Available on Steam for a one time cost of 19.99

Better than Roll20 which puts you on the treadmill.

Recently a British programmer has finished a HERO Virtual Tabletop for this software and it is

being play tested, going to be released ...  <Buckeroo> Real soon </Buckerroo>

This is great news! Keep everyone posted about this. Perhaps start a separate thread just for the sole purpose of promoting it! If it works out, this will help move HERO into the 21st century (even if kicking and screaming).

I'm on the west coast in the U.S.  I have a decent amount of flexibility in scheduling so if someone runs a game, I am interested.  I am working on a few Hero Games products for Hall of Champions so I don't have the time to devote to running Fantasy Hero at the moment.

2 hours ago, lensman said:

I should do that, just saw the thread, read it and posted.

Now its starting to get real.  I know it's not for everyone, have to cast as large a net as possible.

Start a separate thread with information about Tabletop Simulator. I guess it belongs in the Other Software and Online Resources folder, but perhaps in the Hero System Discussion folder so more people are likely to see it? If it works out, it would make a lot of people very happy!