2018-19 NFL Thread.

Enforcer84

No, it wasn't targeted at you.  I'm fundamentally suggesting it's the root of the problem, tho.  "A good percentage of them are on defense" leads to...why are they not on offense?  And keep peeling that back, recursively, until you get to the root.  That root may well be the classic slur "blacks aren't smart enough to play QB."

6 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Yah, dipping down to a QB coach?  He's got minimal experience as a college OC, but that's it.  Can't even use the McVay comparison;  McVay was OC fro the Redskins for 3 years first.  That's a plausible, applicable track record.

Still, the SERIOUS head-scratcher is Kliff Kingsbury.

https://wtvr.com/2019/01/10/renowned-sportscaster-says-nfl-teams-are-racist-when-it-comes-to-hiring-coaches/

The racist aspect of the owners, well, that's not news.  Heard it before, we're gonna keep on hearing it.  But Kingsbury's hire is, to say the least, suspect.  If he's such a QB whisperer and offensive genius...how did he manage to have a losing record at A&M...with Patrick Mahomes?

Minor correction because it concerns my School.

Kingsbury was at TAMU but it was as OC under Sumlin with Manziel as QB. He took the HC job at Tech and while he had a losing record, he does have a decent rep as a QB whisperer as he worked with case Keenum(UH), Manziel(TAMU) and Davis Webb,Baker Mayfield and Mahomes at TT.

5 hours ago, Badger said:

None of whom, had much success on an NFL, until last year. (Keenum).  THough, obviously, Mayfield, and Mahomes didn't have the opportunity till this year.

Wait, what?

I grant you the head scratching nature of the hire, but Mahomes is unreal. And Baker Mayfield just set the rookie QB record for TDs. And who else has 5 NFL QBS currently in the NFL from their roster?

He's got a legitimately impressive history identifying QB talent at the very least.

Whether he's even remotely qualified to be an NFL head coach is a completely different matter.

23 minutes ago, Iuz the Evil said:

Wait, what?

I grant you the head scratching nature of the hire, but Mahomes is unreal. And Baker Mayfield just set the rookie QB record for TDs. And who else has 5 NFL QBS currently in the NFL from their roster?

He's got a legitimately impressive history identifying QB talent at the very least.

Whether he's even remotely qualified to be an NFL head coach is a completely different matter.

I said they didn't have an opportunity till this year (for obvious reasons).  

JUst saying until there 2 top seasons this year.  Kingsbury's NFL success was one year of Keenum.

Mahomes and Mayfield will likely be great.  But, it does suggest they are trying to pick up on a passing fad (pick up the college QB coach of the top 2 young talents of the year-actual track record of said coach be damned)

Interesting little opinion piece out of Detroit:

Detroit Lions should trade Matthew Stafford to Denver Broncos

tl;dr version: Matthew Stafford and a third-round pick to Denver in exchange for Von Miller and Case Keenum. The Lions gets the final piece to make their defense great, or even elite--and Miller gets away from John Elway , with whom there is apparently some friction right now--along with a serviceable quarterback that's more inline with Matt Patricia's ball-control offensive philosophy. The Broncos get an actual quarterback and an additional piece to build for the future.

I think there's precisely zero chance this trade actually happens, but it's interesting to think about.

Add in that Miller is not yet 30, so can reasonably be expected to have another 5 very good years.  I agree it's hard to tell with Stafford, as big chunks of his numbers have come in garbage time.  I can see trading Miller before he leaves, but the contract has 3 more years left.  The last 2 are both club-option years, so that's some assurance against a catastrophic injury.  Not likely, at Miller's age, that an injury would be career-ending, but it's not impossible.  

SO reports are Jags are looking at Kubiak.  Well, he does nave a Super Bowl ring as HC, and 2 other very good seasons with the Texans.  Still, he's had significant health issues, and of a type that become more likely and more serious with age, I think.  (And the only reason your health gets better as you age is if you make significant lifestyle improvements.)

55 minutes ago, Pariah said:

So, any chance today that the Chefs will win their first home playoff game since Bill Clinton was the President?

Heh, not as bad as their baseball team who went from Reagan to Obama without a playoff appearance

Note: Of course, we all remember how the Cubs went from Roosevelt to Obama without a championship. The first Roosevelt.*

Interestingly the Phillies probably had the 2nd longest drought taking 97 years to win their first (in terms of Presidents Arthur to Carter)

49 minutes ago, Starlord said:

- Watches KC easily march right down the field on first two possessions 

Nevermind.

Probably not an issue, but let it play out. The thing about extremely cold weather is it grinds you down. Ground is harder. Eventually everything hurts. Your hands stop working right.

I think they'll be fine, but early success in this weather doesn't always play out.

Temp is not really an issue.  It's 32.  Granted, I bet it's a raw, damp kind of 32; but it's looking basically manageable.  No snow falling, wind isn't too bad.  All things considered it could be a WHOLE lot worse.

Colts are just making too many mistakes on defense, and the offense is totally dead in the water.

CRIPES.  Colts just stop them on 4th and 5.  Then the stupid lineman, WELL after the play, walks up to a ref and twerks.  IDIOT.  Pushed back from the 40 to the 25.

Usually at this stage my rooting is almost purely by longitude, but with Mahomes being Big Media's fair-haired boy I was hoping for the visitors.  Instead there was a Hoover Vacuum imitation.  Sigh.

PS: That last running into the kicker foul was purest Communists-set-fire-to-the-Reichstag bogosity, though it had no effect on the outcome.

2 hours ago, Cancer said:

PS: That last running into the kicker foul was purest Communists-set-fire-to-the-Reichstag bogosity, though it had no effect on the outcome.

Maybe.  Did the guy run into the punter?  Perhaps not.  However, can the rusher undercut the punter like that, not giving him a clear landing area?  That, I'm not sure, but overall I'd think that shouldn't be allowed.  So even if the rusher didn't brush the punter's hip, I thought the call was OK.