2018-19 NFL Thread.

Enforcer84

12 hours ago, Old Man said:

Playoff picture is interesting.  You have the Rams, Chiefs, Pats, Steelers, and Saints, and behind them it's a free for all.

Rams, Saints, Bears in the NFC.  Bears are at least a game and a half up on everyone behind them;  with only 5 left, that's a big margin.  Probably safe to put Rams and Saints in the playoffs in india ink;  they're not mathematically in, but the combination of events that would knock them out has to be rather specific.  IF there is one.  Teams behind them will knock each other off.

AFC, if you're gonna throw in the Steelers, then you have to throw in the Chargers, and if they win tonight, Houston.  Chargers are 8-3 now...better record than Steelers.  If Houston wins, they're also 8-3.  Pats are probably the biggest lock because their division is so poor, then Chiefs just behind.  Steelers, Chargers, and Texans are Should Be In, but could yet blow it.  They don't get india ink, they get rollerball ink so I can wash it away if need be. :)  The big battle is the #2 WC spot, IMO, plus positioning.

18 hours ago, Old Man said:

One of those weeks.

Out for the season:

Jack Doyle

Andy Dalton

Jeff Heuerman

Marvin Jones Jr

Out temporarily (?):

Melvin Gordon (knee)

Marlon Mack (concussion)

Leonard Fournette (suspension)

Blake Bortles (incompetence)

So will Dalton's departure be enough of a crutch to allow Marvin Lewis to keep his job for another season?  On that note, how many more coaches are getting fired?  I think it's gonna be quite a few, but at least a couple (Garrett and Joseph) have managed to quell the talk for the time being.

Will finally recognizing reality and benching Bortles, mean the GM who approved the extension last year...with NO good reason to do so and many NOT to...get Tom Coughlin booted?  BTW, SB Nation has an interesting article pointing out that Bortles will probably be on the roster for the Jags next year.  

5 hours ago, unclevlad said:

So will Dalton's departure be enough of a crutch to allow Marvin Lewis to keep his job for another season?

"It's not Coach Lewis' fault his starting QB got hurt.  The Bengals are happy to offer him this twenty-year, $1 billion contract extension, as well as a controlling share of ownership in the team.  We're going to the ship in 2019!"

On 11/25/2018 at 4:40 PM, unclevlad said:

No dissing the Browns today.  They're winning.  Again.  Amazingly enough.  As of the moment, they're actually not picking in the first 10 in the 2019 draft, and their fans have to be a lot more positive about the team direction than quite a few teams.  Including the Bengals...another horrible loss, at home against a lesser team.  I don't see Marvin Lewis coaching them next year, but I've said that for a couple years now.  Inconsistency is the only thing that's been consistent.  I'm not gonna say they're as bad, organizationally, as the mega-losers...Browns for so long, Cowboys, Jets, probably Dolphins and Raiders...but they're not a lot better.

Heh, would love to have ANY of those owners over Mike Brown.  People outside of Cincinnati or I should say, don't follow the team closely, can't understand the dangerous subtlety of the specific problems that exist in the Bengals organization.

Yep.

I'd left it on CBS SportsNet after a couple early basketball games...a mini-tournament in Belfast.  Tierney and Tiki came on, and when that came out, it drove every other story aside.  

Tiki had an interesting point.  This video was released to the public, but it's not new.  The incident happened in February.  It seems unlikely this is, like...suddenly just coming to light.  So...who saw this tape, and when?  Why was there NO action taken in the 9 months between then and now?  And as a side point:  it's doubly damning that nothing happened to Hunt for so long, and only when it could no longer be covered up, in the same week that the Redskins sign Reuben Foster after he was cut.  Does the league EVER learn?  It seems not.

10 hours ago, Old Man said:

Per the Chiefs' statement, the team investigated at the time of the incident, but Hunt wasn't truthful at the time, which was only revealed by this release of the footage.  If the Chiefs saw the video back in February, then that would be a lot different.

So it's Ray Rice all over again?  Take the accused person's word and not investigate adequately because it's not in your interest to check?  

I've been ripping Ohio State all season for retaining Urban Meyer, because the best-case scenario seems to be willful ignorance, and that's not a defense in my book.  That's what I'm smelling here too.