2018-19 NFL Thread.

Enforcer84

On the long snapper...he's claiming something in a legal supplement, but that of course has to be taken with a tablespoon of salt.  JUST a bit self-serving.  Thing I can see is to somehow help recovery, if it was intentional.

I have no issue with trading away an overrpriced flake.  But wow...out of the blue.  And Achilles too;  that used to be a near-certain career-ender.  Don't think it is any more but it's still bad.  

This season seems to be turning into a Cthulhu story...the good teams scrambled up the ladders already, and there's a whole bunch of secondary teams trying to scramble up...only to slip as the shoggoths arrive.....

3 hours ago, unclevlad said:

So CNN is reporting the NFL had the arrest report in February...and basically did nothing until the video.  No requests for the video, no follow-on.  Passive-aggressive inaction.  Again.

More like general ineptness and impotence. The NFL has no power to compel cooperation, so if the victims won't cooperate then they won't interview the accused because they don't want to appear biased and they want to avoid a repeat of Ray Rice. Rice told them exactly what was in the video, but seeing it made them feel they misjudged the seriousness of the incident and their initial punishment. (Which they did IMO) They and the Ravens then went back and changed his punishment.  Then when Ezekiel Elliot was investigated the NFL interviewed the victim but didn't allow Elliot to present any evidence or witnesses on his behalf even though the police report had documented statements that the accuser was lying and copies of her text messages threatening  "to ruin his career" dated before the incident. The NFL does just enough to quell the public outrage over domestic violence cases and no more.

14 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

All Americans know about the lifetime bans handed out after the 1919 World Series. In that case, the real villains of the piece were the gangsters who offered the money (and threatened those in their sights who didn't take it) and the owners who did not pay any of their players a wage that would cover their costs of living through the off-season.

Pete Rose and pitcher Denny McLain were both heavy gamblers. Rose started making wagers on his own team's games while he was the manager of the Cincinnati Reds, and now he is barred from all official connection to Major League Baseball (including election to the Hall of Fame, of which he is otherwise worthy). McLain ran a bookmaking service on the side during the 1967 season but ran into trouble paying his Mafia handlers. They came to him one night, demanded their protection money, and when he couldn't provide it they broke his foot, knocking him out for the rest of the season. He didn't fix games (at least not in a way that has been detected). Still, his injury left an opening for the surging "Impossible Dream" Boston Red Sox and might have cost his team (the Detroit Tigers) the pennant and a trip to the World Series.

I was talking about performance enhancer lifetime bans, I do know one Mets reliever did get that a couple of years ago.

Edit: It was one, Jenrry Mejia, got lifetime on 2/12/2016 after a 3rd positive.

7 hours ago, Badger said:

I was talking about performance enhancer lifetime bans, I do know one Mets reliever did get that a couple of years ago.

I'm sorry, but I am much more concerned about game-fixing and domestic (and other) violence than I am about PEDs. It's the player's body, it's what he earns his living with, and if he is willing to take the risks I don't see a reason to say that what he puts into his body isn't just his business. Same with marijuana, which is still tested for by the NFL despite the growing number of states in which it is legal (including several states with NFL teams). There are long-term consequences to smoking pot (especially smoking as opposed to things like edibles - it may not be tobacco, but it's still all kinds of chemicals getting into your lungs with the potential to wreak havoc). At the same time, it is known to be an effective analgesic, and if there's one thing all NFL players have to deal with it's severe pain. Lighting up a joint the day after a game, when every part of your body is bruised and beaten up, is not the worst thing in the world.

FWIW, a warning: Seattle is bringing back the "Action Green" uniforms (the things that look like they were dyed in green highlighter) for the game against the Vikings next Monday night.

I recommending going over to your parents' place and looking for an old black-and-white TV.

Ugh.  Alex Smith's dealing with an infection nasty enough to drop him back into the hospital, related to the injury and surgery.  Probably not uncommon but can't make the recovery timetable shorter.  Nice thing is, great access to care for it.  And they're clearing out junk and fragments and stuff as part of fighting it...which indirectly means the damage is extended.  And so is the recovery time;  gotta think the clock resets at least to some degree each time they have to go in.

I still contend all football players are prima facie insane.....

Luck to him.

IDIOT!!!

How many basic principles can you ignore?

Punt returner for the Titans just cost his team a safety.  Tried to catch the ball on his own 5...WRONG!!!  Tried to run with it after getting it back...not inherently wrong.  Lost track of where he was and danced around moving backwards...on his own goal line!  With a swarm of Jags all there.  Of course he's tackled in the end zone.

Special teams coach should be reaming him thoroughly.  THINK!!!!  

Of course, we're talking football.  Not all of em are social promotion and non-academic curriculum beneficiaries...but quite a few of em are.....

15 hours ago, Starlord said:

There's also the issue of "what is a performance enhancer"?  Caffeine?  Sugar?  Ibuprofen?  Special supersticky WR gloves?  The 'plate mail' that Barry Bonds used when batting so he could lean inside on a pitch?  Ice baths and ice bags for recovery?  Lasik surgery?

Given how it effects me, Mountain Dew.

12 hours ago, Cancer said:

FWIW, a warning: Seattle is bringing back the "Action Green" uniforms (the things that look like they were dyed in green highlighter) for the game against the Vikings next Monday night.

I recommending going over to your parents' place and looking for an old black-and-white TV.

Even in black&white it'll still blind you.

Those uniforms actually made me miss the 70/80s Houston Astro jerseys.