2018-19 NFL Thread.

Enforcer84

Those green jerseys rate up there with the couple of college fields done in *red* turf.  Boise State's blue is not great but the red ones?  AHHH!!!  Eye pain.  

There are some worse ones out there.  Baylor University's basketball teams do these High Output Neon Yellow and green combos that are almost literally painful to me.  Not a fan of the Broncos' all orange...and I love wearing orange, but that shade is awful as the central color. 

Which reminds me, I watched one of the NCAA women's volleyball tournament games last week.  It was at Oregon State, and they painted pine tree silhouettes around the edges of the court.  It took me ten minutes to figure out that that's what it was and it wasn't just a very badly maintained court.

I hold Boise State solely responsible for inventing the non-green turf field.  I should sue them for eye damage and psychological distress.

There's a few basketball and volleyball courts where they did different colors, and yeah, some of them are fugly.

Back to the NFL...looks like several teams will have their backs against the wall.  Bucs have to win at home against the Saints;  Redskins need to staunch the flow against the Giants who are playing better;  Colts have to try to stop the Texans.  Then on Monday...gods, we kinda have to watch too.  Or perhaps not.  My satellite receiver pipes the audio to my stereo amp, and from there to the speakers.  It doesn't actually need the TV to be on.  Cuz loser of Vikes-Seahawks will be in pretty bad shape for playoffs....

Seahawks might be okay, they're a game ahead of the other NFC teams for a wild card slot.  NFC East is a race between Philly-Dallas; the Skins would be in contention but they're pretty badly mangled after the last couple of weeks.  Tampa's virtually eliminated already.  The Colts are unlikely to catch the Texans for the division, but they're in the wild card race with the Panthers, Vikings, Titans, and NFC East.

7 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Those green jerseys rate up there with the couple of college fields done in *red* turf.  Boise State's blue is not great but the red ones?  AHHH!!!  Eye pain.  

There are some worse ones out there.  Baylor University's basketball teams do these High Output Neon Yellow and green combos that are almost literally painful to me.  Not a fan of the Broncos' all orange...and I love wearing orange, but that shade is awful as the central color. 

Yeah, for some reason as a kid I decided orange was my favorite color.

Doesn't mean I want to see it people wear it often. :jawdrop:

3 hours ago, Old Man said:

Seahawks might be okay, they're a game ahead of the other NFC teams for a wild card slot.  NFC East is a race between Philly-Dallas; the Skins would be in contention but they're pretty badly mangled after the last couple of weeks.  Tampa's virtually eliminated already.  The Colts are unlikely to catch the Texans for the division, but they're in the wild card race with the Panthers, Vikings, Titans, and NFC East.

Washington hopes were pretty much crushed with Colt McCoy's leg.

6 hours ago, Badger said:

Doesn't mean I want to see it people wear it often. :jawdrop:

Maybe you've heard the one about why Tennessee fans wear orange...

They can wear it to the game on Saturday, hunting on Sunday, and picking up trash the rest of the week.

My $0.02: The problem with the Broncos' Color Rash unis is the orange pants. I love the orange jerseys and the throwback sticker design on the helmet. If they'd just replace the orange pants with white, the uniform would be just about perfect.

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 6:00 PM, Old Man said:

Actually from what I'm hearing, it's not an issue of "resetting the timetable" so much as "saving his career" or even "saving his leg".  He seriously might be all done with football.

If he does come back, he'll be an immobile pocket passer of the type modern NFL defenses thrive upon. Better to go out now than take the cognitive risks associated with pro football. He can always coach if he wants to stay close to football.

Wow......

Redskins didn't roll over, they never showed up.  40 points to the Giants halfway through the 3rd?  27 total plays for less than 60 yards in about 2 1/2 quarters???  I'll grant the injuries.  I'll grant that having Lord Buttfumble as your QB is pretty much a nightmare scenario.

Still......................at least try to look like a decent college team, not their JV team.

EDIT:  and I see Sanchez got yanked.  Not seeing anything saying it was an injury, he was just being Mark Sanchez.  Pick 6 early, HORRIBLY ineffective, but hey what can you expect under the circumstances?  QB with a terrible track record, a mountain's worth of rust, and lack of familiarity with the details of the offense and the other players.  Yeah, that trifecta always works REAL well.

Unless Denver just lays an egg and loses against the Niners, the big loser for the day is the Ravens.  It'll be an absolute worst-case scenario...the 7-5 team, Ravens, loses, while *all 4* 6-6 teams win, including 2 big surprises.  And they're all going for the lone WC spot;  the Chargers should have the 1st WC slot.  Ravens have a slight edge in that they've only got 4 conference losses.  Miami, same;  the others all have more.  Given the very good chance of a multi-way tie, conference record is likely to be in play.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

EDIT:  and I see Sanchez got yanked.  Not seeing anything saying it was an injury, he was just being Mark Sanchez.  Pick 6 early, HORRIBLY ineffective, but hey what can you expect under the circumstances?  QB with a terrible track record, a mountain's worth of rust, and lack of familiarity with the details of the offense and the other players.  Yeah, that trifecta always works REAL well.

Well, at least he was the best guy available for the Redskins system, according to Jay Gruden....

*cough* Kaepernick *cough*

49 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Unless Denver just lays an egg and loses against the Niners....

You were saying?

It looks like two big injuries in the space of a week is just too much for the Broncos to overcome. They may turn it around in the second half, but at this point this doesn't look like a team that has continued playoff aspirations. :(

OK, so unless they come back, the Broncos leap frog off a trampoline to win Worst Loss by a MILE, considering the opponent.  Game they had to win.  The only mild consolation is, it's a non-conference loss, but...is 8-8 gonna make it?  They'll have to beat the Chargers to reach 9-7, and that's assuming they beat the Raiders (should, but this one's leaving doubts) and the Browns, who are actually...competent this year.  Man, that's frightening to say.

On 12/7/2018 at 3:05 PM, unclevlad said:

There's a few basketball and volleyball courts where they did different colors, and yeah, some of them are fugly.

Back to the NFL...looks like several teams will have their backs against the wall.  Bucs have to win at home against the Saints;  Redskins need to staunch the flow against the Giants who are playing better;  Colts have to try to stop the Texans.  Then on Monday...gods, we kinda have to watch too.  Or perhaps not.  My satellite receiver pipes the audio to my stereo amp, and from there to the speakers.  It doesn't actually need the TV to be on.  Cuz loser of Vikes-Seahawks will be in pretty bad shape for playoffs....

Maybe I missed it, but you seem to have left Cleveland off your list. That's right. Cleveland. Who is not yet statistically eliminated at this point in the season.

When was the last time that happened in week 14? 1987?

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2018/12/8/18132547/cleveland-browns-playoff-possibilities-week-14-edition

Browns are not mathematically eliminated but they're behind too many others.  I don't think 8-7-1 will quite cut it even if they can get there.  I will give them this much credit:  they're in a Last Gasp game at Denver next week.  

Now, granted, this week proves beyond any doubt that Anyone Can Die At Any Time.  IF the Browns can win out, too, this means they beat Denver and Baltimore.  It's not too much of a stretch to see that week 17 game being crucial, with the loser eliminated.   Not necessarily the winner getting in, as there's also a week 17 Colts-Titans matchup.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

Browns are not mathematically eliminated but they're behind too many others.  I don't think 8-7-1 will quite cut it even if they can get there.  I will give them this much credit:  they're in a Last Gasp game at Denver next week.  

Now, granted, this week proves beyond any doubt that Anyone Can Die At Any Time.  IF the Browns can win out, too, this means they beat Denver and Baltimore.  It's not too much of a stretch to see that week 17 game being crucial, with the loser eliminated.   Not necessarily the winner getting in, as there's also a week 17 Colts-Titans matchup.

Well, obviously they aren't going anywhere this year. I'm just kind of shocked to see them even have an article about playoff hopes in WEEK 14. That's fairly amazing, given historic context.

In Ye Olden Days, defensive players with broken hands would have the hand in a cast and play. It was not that uncommon for them to use the cast as a makeshift club, something the league frowned upon but couldn't really stop.

Today they have found a way to deal with this, sort of organically, as doctors realized that playing with a broken hand or wrist can cause long-term harm even to linemen. It was the sort of "faux tough" that fans seem to miss.

8 hours ago, Starlord said:

Tyron Smith, OL for the Cowboys, has a sore elbow.

Unfortunately, he's so big there are no elbow braces big enough SO...that's actually a knee brace he's wearing.

I remember the wife laughing at a tiny football player who was dwarfed by the players around him on the field.  "Who is that little guy?  What's he doing in the game?"  And I replied, "Julian Edelman is my height."