2018-19 NFL Thread.

Enforcer84

26 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

The current Mexican political climate, which is close civil war and presents the possibility of a Narco-State in the near future, is not stable enough to suggest putting a team there.

I think the fiasco with the turf at Azteca doesn't help.  For now, we've also got all the immigration and border wall tension.

Thinking what would be a good city for an NFL team is an interesting exercise.  Portland?  Dunno if there's support to build a stadium.  Seattle might bitch, too.  Oklahoma City?  I wonder if the NFL can win fans.  Salt Lake City?  Dunno how the residents feel about it.  I'd be curious to know what the Jazz players think about living in Utah.  After that, seems like you're getting into cities that have failed (SD, St Lou), are too near existing franchises, or are just too small...can't see anything in Idaho, Wyo, Mont, ND, or SD, for example.  

San Antonio is the largest city without a team but the fan base is pretty solid behind the Cowboys. Unfortunately, at 24 years old, the Alamodome is quite outdated as a stadium(in terms of luxury boxes and amenities). Also neither the Cowboys or Texans would vote for a new team in their territory. Moving an existing team with promises to split the costs of a new stadium might be  possible.

15 hours ago, Grailknight said:

San Antonio is the largest city without a team but the fan base is pretty solid behind the Cowboys. Unfortunately, at 24 years old, the Alamodome is quite outdated as a stadium(in terms of luxury boxes and amenities). Also neither the Cowboys or Texans would vote for a new team in their territory. Moving an existing team with promises to split the costs of a new stadium might be  possible.

San Antonio is too close to 2 existing franchises.  There are some rules in play there, if I remember the talk during the Charger/Raider moves.  

El Paso doesn't have the money or the population, or the facilities.  Basically, El Paso is a pit that I try to avoid as much as possible.

Omaha, the metro area is rather small.  Plus, no facilities even close to good enough.  I actually doubt they'd support building one, too.

Honolulu is flat-out no.  Travel as mentioned, INSANELY expensive, land is at an ultra-premium, I'd be VERY surprised if the fan base would be robust.  Too many other things to do.

Toronto, you'll get massive pushback from the CFL.  Simple point:   the international games have been played since 2007.  NONE in Canada.  

50 minutes ago, Cancer said:

"The disrespect has been well noted"

A pity sportscasters aren't subject to the same level of scrutiny as players or coaches.

Sportscasters get some.  In this case it was the pundits and Talking Heads, who get none.

One plausible point tho is that scheduling certainly can make a big difference.  This year, I think there's, what, a half dozen good teams, 4-6 struggling teams, and 4-6 pathetic dogmeat teams.  The rest are middle of the pack, all with some strong points but big problems.  Performances will be connected to exploiting matchup advantages (or not) and performance randomness;  if many of the games could be played 100 times, you'd be looking at maybe 75-25 advantages for the better among the pack against the worst, to more commonly something like 55-45.  

9 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

... Performances will be connected to exploiting matchup advantages (or not) and performance randomness;  if many of the games could be played 100 times, you'd be looking at maybe 75-25 advantages for the better among the pack against the worst, to more commonly something like 55-45.  

That last does include coaching, both preparations and in-game adjustments, and that is a very real component of a successful team.  You don't have to play anyone a hundred times in a season (let alone week); at absolute most it's three times in a season.

29 minutes ago, Pariah said:

That was an interesting article, though none of those guys said anything half as idiotic as pretty much everything coming out of the mouth of Stephen A. Smith and/or Skip Bayless on any given day.

If they say anything interesting, it is entirely by accident.  This includes, but isn't limited to,  Cowherd, Whitlock, and Kellerman.  They're all completely wrapped up in their own egos.