2018-19 NFL Thread.

Enforcer84

1 minute ago, Pariah said:

Interesting weekend. Road teams win three out of the four games. Both games in the AFC were blowouts, both games in the NFC went down to the wire. Next weekend should be interesting too.

Well I believe the LA/Bal game ended up 23-17 (though it was a blow out most of the game)

16 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Jesus, how wide are the uprights at Soldier Field?  I’ve never seen a game end in dead silence like that. 

Neither have I.  I even thought it went through, watching live, after the doink off the upright...til I saw it bouncing at the goal line.

It was like everyone in the stadium just took a Tyson hook square to the jaw.  Boom, boom, out go the lights.  Even the Eagles after the game were still a little dazed, altho rather more happily so.

Trivia tidbit for this round.  Chargers are undefeated when they play outside LA.  Pats are undefeated at home.

In order of confidence, false tho it may be...Rams, Saints, Chargers, Colts.  Cowboys just don't play well enough on the road;  Saints too much at home.  AFC games...I don't know!!! :)  I do NOT trust the Chiefs' defense, and their offense is not what it was early in the year.  Losing Kareem Hunt has cost them a home run hitter.  And the Pats are not the same team they were.

And hey, if so......this means we have the AFC title game in that stupid band box of a venue the Chargers use.  I think that would be a great joke to wind this season down.

Great publicity move for Goose Island.  Hope they stream some of this live, because watching the cocky gits fail to have the ball even reach the goal line would be most entertaining.  Definitely need a split screen to show the lack of ball travel, the would-be kicker's reaction, and especially, the reaction of his buddies on the side.

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

Parkey's kick was tipped.  It's not his fault.

The analysts note that the jury is out on LaFleur, whose one season in Tennessee was marred by injuries to Mariota and Walker at least.  He's getting a shot based on his apprenticeships under Shanahan and McVay.

And there is, I think, the growing tendency to take more chances with young coaches.  That said, Bucs are apparently signing Arians.  I find that odd mostly because he retired after 2017.  Can we really expect he's going to be around more than a couple years, given he did that, and his age of 66?

Apparently, the Bengals are interested in Zac Taylor, the Rams QB coach.

This just in:  next year's hot coaching candidate will be "some guy named Greg" who is known for delivering a pizza to Sean McVay's house in 2014.  It's been discovered that "some guy named Greg" received a $3 tip instead of the standard $2 tip, so Sean must think pretty highly of him.

Yah, dipping down to a QB coach?  He's got minimal experience as a college OC, but that's it.  Can't even use the McVay comparison;  McVay was OC fro the Redskins for 3 years first.  That's a plausible, applicable track record.

Still, the SERIOUS head-scratcher is Kliff Kingsbury.

https://wtvr.com/2019/01/10/renowned-sportscaster-says-nfl-teams-are-racist-when-it-comes-to-hiring-coaches/

The racist aspect of the owners, well, that's not news.  Heard it before, we're gonna keep on hearing it.  But Kingsbury's hire is, to say the least, suspect.  If he's such a QB whisperer and offensive genius...how did he manage to have a losing record at A&M...with Patrick Mahomes?

32 minutes ago, Starlord said:

A key problem is the pipeline.  There aren't enough black coaches in general and a good percentage are on defense which is looked at less favorably compared to offense these days.

That sounds a WHOLE lot like "blacks aren't smart enough to play quarterback."  Are they not qualified to be offensive coaches, or denied the chance?

9 hours ago, Starlord said:

Apparently, the Bengals are interested in Zac Taylor, the Rams QB coach.

This just in:  next year's hot coaching candidate will be "some guy named Greg" who is known for delivering a pizza to Sean McVay's house in 2014.  It's been discovered that "some guy named Greg" received a $3 tip instead of the standard $2 tip, so Sean must think pretty highly of him.

Hey, I'm between jobs, maybe I should take a crack at HC.

2 hours ago, unclevlad said:

That sounds a WHOLE lot like "blacks aren't smart enough to play quarterback."  Are they not qualified to be offensive coaches, or denied the chance?

I don't think he, or anyone else in this specific conversation, is saying that. The reality is there are not a lot of black coordinators to choose from. The reasons for that or something we can debate, certainly. But I don't think lack of ability is a claim that anyone's making here.

Thanks, Pariah.  I assumed he was just asking a general question, not accusing me specifically.

Obviously, I was just pointing out the general problem.  The overall pool of black coaches, specifically in jobs that track toward head coach, is not good enough.