2018-19 NFL Thread.

Enforcer84

There was also a report that had him visiting Seattle, but I don't know if that actually happened.

The Seahawks front office has obviously decided to blow up the defense and rebuild from scratch.  (There are t-shirts on the market that say, "Goodnight, Boom.")  Injuries, and salary cap issues, obviously played a part in that.  Doesn't mean it's easy to take.  The offense has got a you-can't-do-better-thn-this QB, but lots of question marks in other places.  It's very tempting to pick them last in the NFC West next year, but we'll see what they can get out of the draft and from free agents (including UDFAs); that is, mostly, from where they got the squad that had the great five-year run 2012-17.

We'll see.  They just changed OL coaches, and they were grilled all year long about their crap OL.  I think the plan is to take in lots of guys (who fit a certain physical profile) cheaply and find a few who do adequately.  This was the plan 5-6 years ago, and it worked for a while.  That it stopped working is partly coaching, partly losing decent guys to free agency and going cheap without throughput.  If they can do it again, OK.  If they lucked out and got gems in the UDFAs etc. last time and it'll never happen again -- and some smart people are thinking that was the case -- well, next you blow up the front office and rebuild that, too.

For some reason, Mayfield does seem like he'd be perfect going to the Jets.  Mayfield has had his jerk moments, and New York teams always seem most successful when the rest of the country can rally around a player of theirs to hate.

Apart from the anecdotal, though

Yeah, truthfully,  I don't see him as being self-explosive as that (that to a Manzielian degree would be quite impressive) but, he does have some baggage to be sure.  It'll knock him down some pegs in the incoming QB hierarchy.  But, I don't see the Jets moving to #3 not to go for a QB at all costs (not necessarily a strategy I like, but it is what the draft has become).  If the top 2 picks are other QBs, it is pretty likely the Jets would do it, good idea or not.  (or trade down which would be weird after going for broke to trade up)