2018-19 NFL Thread.

Enforcer84

Week One:

- The Browns are undefeated.

- The Saints are winless.

- Baltimore scored 47 points in a 50-point game.  It may be a long season for Buffalonians.

- Mahomes, Trubisky, Fitzpatrick, and Tannehill played like NFL quarterbacks. 

- Casualties: Fournette, Mariota, Walker, Baldwin, Hill, and Olsen.

So, what's worse....

The Raiders' defensive performance vs. the Rams...who are expected to be quite good...

Or the Bears losing despite paying their messiah a full royal family ransom and trading a pair of #1s?

Ostrich Egg of the Week nominees for most embarrassing performance by team:  Steelers, Bears, Bills, and Lions.  

Goat of the Week for most pathetic individual performance, most directly leading to terrible result:  I've got Big Ben and Stafford for sure.  Any other nominees?

Vote early.  Week 2 is imminent.  God I loathe TNF.....

I channel-flipped passed the Raiders game and noticed the stadium was packed.

WHY?

This isn't your team anymore, Oakland. You're the spurned ex whose beau left you for the glamorous showgirl in Vegas, but still crashes at your place while he waits for the mortgage to clear. Trying to win him back would be pointless, but why do you want to? He's treating you like dirt!

At least when the Rams and chargers went to LA< they had the decency to leave and not leave their fans hanging and clinging to false hope.

The Raiders don't love you, Oakland. They never did.

4 hours ago, unclevlad said:

So, what's worse....

The Raiders' defensive performance vs. the Rams...who are expected to be quite good...

Or the Bears losing despite paying their messiah a full royal family ransom and trading a pair of #1s?

Ostrich Egg of the Week nominees for most embarrassing performance by team:  Steelers, Bears, Bills, and Lions.  

Goat of the Week for most pathetic individual performance, most directly leading to terrible result:  I've got Big Ben and Stafford for sure.  Any other nominees?

Vote early.  Week 2 is imminent.  God I loathe TNF.....

The Raiders just sent their defense to the Bears, so I'd hardly expect them to prevent their opponents form scoring.

I can't remember the last time a Bears-Packers game was that close.  And I mean on the field, not just the score.  Khalil Mack is worth every penny.  Trubisky did damn well for a sophomore.

The Bills win, managing to put up three points and avoid a shutout... after the Ravens had put in their third-stringers.

The Steelers always play to the level of their opponent; that's not new.  And Stafford has a serious JBC problem.  I nominate the legendary Saints defense, who allowed 45 points to a Bucs team with a backup QB.

It's also just week 1, AKA the first preseason game of the year for the first string.  No matter that it counts in the standings.  The quality of play is frequently very low.  That said...for a unit, yeah, the Saints defense probably had the worst single performance...them, or the Buffalo offense...but the offensive performance was such that I can't count it an ostrich egg.  BAD loss, tho.  Home game in the division.  

I tend to weigh the Detroit loss a bit heavier, simply because Detroit was at home.  They even get spotted a total freebie...horrendous decision by Darnold...but they roll over and get gutted in the 3rd.  At home.  Buffalo got pancaked.  Offenses are often a bit behind defenses, but that was beyond pathetic, to be sure...but it was on the road.  It makes me question the coaching staff and whether the Bills have any decent veteran leadership...because that performance tells me they were simply not ready to play at something approaching real game conditions.

Saints defense...we'll have to see.  Look at the numbers last year...they were middle of the pack in many things like yards per play, and quite bad in some others.  5th worst in yards per rush.  What they did VERY well, was grab interceptions...3rd best.  But I believe these were more by good secondary play.  That's a tough way to live, as opposed to having a front 6-7 that consistently puts considerable pressure and forces bad decisions and bad throws.  I remember the Broncos during Elway's 2 SB wins.  The defense was good, but not as good, I though, as some felt.  Where they *throve* was pressuring the other team when they had the lead.  That was most of the time.  But against an offense that could dictate to them?  They struggled.

We shall see.  I discount the predictive aspect of week 1 for most of these games, with some exceptions.  Cowboys, because it was part and parcel of their root problems for years now.  Steelers, because not throttling the Browns is simply unforgivable.  

Before Cleveland was Cleveland-ing, Detroit was that team. Remember, this is a team that hasn’t even won a playoff game in 26 seasons. And when the 2017 Browns went 0-16, Detroit said “pfffft… we did that, like, nine seasons ago. What took you so long?” So to see the Lions start off the way they did against the Jets really doesn’t surprise me at all.

[...]

They have now gone 69 (nice!) straight games without a 100 yard rusher. They totalled just 39 yards on the ground in the game.

Lions_rushers.PNG

From a fanblog for another NFC North club

12 hours ago, unclevlad said:

It's also just week 1, AKA the first preseason game of the year for the first string.  No matter that it counts in the standings.  The quality of play is frequently very low.  That said...for a unit, yeah, the Saints defense probably had the worst single performance...them, or the Buffalo offense...but the offensive performance was such that I can't count it an ostrich egg.  BAD loss, tho.  Home game in the division.  

I tend to weigh the Detroit loss a bit heavier, simply because Detroit was at home.  They even get spotted a total freebie...horrendous decision by Darnold...but they roll over and get gutted in the 3rd.  At home.  Buffalo got pancaked.  Offenses are often a bit behind defenses, but that was beyond pathetic, to be sure...but it was on the road.  It makes me question the coaching staff and whether the Bills have any decent veteran leadership...because that performance tells me they were simply not ready to play at something approaching real game conditions.

Saints defense...we'll have to see.  Look at the numbers last year...they were middle of the pack in many things like yards per play, and quite bad in some others.  5th worst in yards per rush.  What they did VERY well, was grab interceptions...3rd best.  But I believe these were more by good secondary play.  That's a tough way to live, as opposed to having a front 6-7 that consistently puts considerable pressure and forces bad decisions and bad throws.  I remember the Broncos during Elway's 2 SB wins.  The defense was good, but not as good, I though, as some felt.  Where they *throve* was pressuring the other team when they had the lead.  That was most of the time.  But against an offense that could dictate to them?  They struggled.

We shall see.  I discount the predictive aspect of week 1 for most of these games, with some exceptions.  Cowboys, because it was part and parcel of their root problems for years now.  Steelers, because not throttling the Browns is simply unforgivable.  

I'm thinking the Saints defense last year was mostly a fluke.  Seems for most of the last decade they refused to have a secondary that would actually secondary.  So, I think they might merely be sliding back to the mean. 

Media reports say Gordon reported somewhat late Saturday and claimed an injured hamstring...after being fine all week in practice.  Also that Browns are therefore concerned that he's relapsing.  With his horrible track record?  Yeah, see ya.  Even if it hurts in the short term I think it's the right move long-term.

Have to check which games are showing here.  Hope I actually get Bucs-Eagles...who knows.  There is, of course, every real chance that Fitzpatrick will revert to the mean....so the Eagles pick him 4 times and win by 40.  But we can hope.  Sunday night is likely to be glorious on paper and a total barker on the screen.  Boys vs. Giants.  When are we going to stop deifying everyone in the NFL East?

13 hours ago, Badger said:

He'd sadly be an improvement over the Buffalo QBs.  Peterman is garbage, and I suspect Allen will be one of those raw talents that stays raw.

Yeah, I'm a little surprised that he hasn't picked up some attention from somewhere. He has at least started a few NFL games recently, which is more than you can say for some backups in this league.