2018-19 NFL Thread.

Enforcer84

Arizona is the first team since 2002 to score 20 points or less over their first three games. The last to do so was the Cincinnati Bengals, en route to a 2-14 finish that put them in place to draft Carson Palmer the next year. Before that was the 2001 Detroit Lions, they also finished 2-14. However, that same year, Washington scored just 16 points — and gave up 112 — over the first three games, and they finished a shockingly-better 8-8. One of the key changes for that Washington team?

They benched starting quarterback Jeff George after two games and replaced him with Tony Banks.

The New Normal is, I think, not waiting...toss the kid in once the vet you never trusted anyway barfs it up on the field.  "Well...we tried."  That's the worst that can happen, in the coaches' minds.  Even taking a smackdown that knocks him out for the season, hey, the coach can say, we tried to win.  It's pure BS, IMO;  I think it's appeasement.  But we've got kiddy QBs doing great things...Mahomes.  And Mayfield pulled a rabbit out.  

Swapping the QB is the next best thing to firing the coach.  It might be problems with everyone else, but you can't fire the entire O-line and receiving corps.

It's no surprise to me that Rosen and Mayfield are getting their shots.  What remains to be seen is, will Jameis get back onto the field any time soon?  

Arizona is the first team since 2002 to score 20 points or less over their first three games. The last to do so was the Cincinnati Bengals, en route to a 2-14 finish that put them in place to draft Carson Palmer the next year. Before that was the 2001 Detroit Lions, they also finished 2-14. However, that same year, Washington scored just 16 points — and gave up 112 — over the first three games, and they finished a shockingly-better 8-8. One of the key changes for that Washington team?

They benched starting quarterback Jeff George after two games and replaced him with Tony Banks.

It kinda sucks when you get benched for the keyboard player for Genesis.

12 hours ago, unclevlad said:

The New Normal is, I think, not waiting...toss the kid in once the vet you never trusted anyway barfs it up on the field.  "Well...we tried."  That's the worst that can happen, in the coaches' minds.  Even taking a smackdown that knocks him out for the season, hey, the coach can say, we tried to win.  It's pure BS, IMO;  I think it's appeasement.  But we've got kiddy QBs doing great things...Mahomes.  And Mayfield pulled a rabbit out.  

Swapping the QB is the next best thing to firing the coach.  It might be problems with everyone else, but you can't fire the entire O-line and receiving corps.

It's no surprise to me that Rosen and Mayfield are getting their shots.  What remains to be seen is, will Jameis get back onto the field any time soon?  

Mahomes isn't a rookie though.  So, he is probably a bit less of an argument for this.  And more of the groomed the rookie for a season and now it is time to see if he is ready (which happens more frequently)

1 minute ago, Cancer said:

Here I was hoping Goff would throw 5 TDs, 459 yards, and the Rams would still lose.

(I do have Goff on the Black Holes, and the Apes are still gonna whomp my butt, because I seemed doomed to have ciphers for running backs.)

Hey, it could be worse, one person at work, decided to take the chance Leveon Bell would be back by regular season.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

So if you're playing Draft Kings daily NFL...

and didn't have Goff as your QB this week...

say goodbye to your money.  You gonna LOSE.

Sidebar...in 2016 and 2017, there were 3 games where a QB threw for 5 TD passes.  There have been 3 in 2018 *already*.

Most DK games omit the Thursday game, and often the Monday game. 

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Mahomes isn't a rookie though.  So, he is probably a bit less of an argument for this.  And more of the groomed the rookie for a season and now it is time to see if he is ready (which happens more frequently)

But go back even 8-10 years...and he'd not necessarily be starting this early.  Groomed for just a year is still next to nothing.  Still got someone fundamentally untried, who's setting the league on fire.  That's probably the point...not so much rookie or not, but the whole "we can catch lightning in a bottle too!!!" wishful thinking.

Cousins is playing better than the record suggests.  HOWEVER, the record suggests the Vikes messed up in sinking that much money into him if the rest of the team isn't up to snuff.

Yeah, well, after his treatment in Washington, I do tend to pull for him.  (of course, considering my vicinity in VA to DC, having Alex Smith all summer get all but turned into Joe Montana by the DC media, and how Washington finally "had a real QB" made that easier.

Speaking of Washington: Seems Jay Gruden's plan is to ride Adrian Peterson into the ground, ignore any young talent, and hope they can sneak into a playoff spot before Peterson's body turns into dust, to buy his own self an extra year (to probably attempt a rinse and repeat)

Just now, unclevlad said:

But go back even 8-10 years...and he'd not necessarily be starting this early.  Groomed for just a year is still next to nothing.  Still got someone fundamentally untried, who's setting the league on fire.  That's probably the point...not so much rookie or not, but the whole "we can catch lightning in a bottle too!!!" wishful thinking.

Cousins is playing better than the record suggests.  HOWEVER, the record suggests the Vikes messed up in sinking that much money into him if the rest of the team isn't up to snuff.

Yeah, I don't necessarily disagree with you,  I'm just saying he did get some grooming, unlike a lot of the others in the trend.

9 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

The Vikings’ weakness, last year and this year, is the O-line. This year they’ve also suffered some injuries there. That’s how the Bills beat them—by getting to Cousins. 

23 minutes ago, Badger said:

Yeah, well, after his treatment in Washington, I do tend to pull for him.  (of course, considering my vicinity in VA to DC, having Alex Smith all summer get all but turned into Joe Montana by the DC media, and how Washington finally "had a real QB" made that easier.

Speaking of Washington: Seems Jay Gruden's plan is to ride Adrian Peterson into the ground, ignore any young talent, and hope they can sneak into a playoff spot before Peterson's body turns into dust, to buy his own self an extra year (to probably attempt a rinse and repeat)

Jay Gruden is an idiot. In particular, he refuses to tailor his unimaginative offense to the players he has.