2018-19 NFL Thread.

Enforcer84

I wouldn't mind seeing the Rams in there.  Not really the Chargers, but I wouldn't complain for the sake of Phillip Rivers.  A Chiefs-Rams rematch wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.  Wouldn't mind seeing Baltimore in either.  Dallas and New England are the only teams I particularly don't want to see.  ANd I would bet that Dallas would shoot themselves in the foot at some point over 3 games.

Oh lordy.

SVP *rips* the Redskins for their gross mistreatment of the fans (leading to massive fan apathy) and compares them to Sears.

Brown's struck me as a diva for ages.  Beckham's bad, but Brown's worse.  Comparing to TO?  I don't think he's quite at that level, but getting there for sure.  Ryan Clark dropped a story from when he was still with the Steelers...talking to the strength coach that Brown would be unmanageable because he'd just gotten the big money after Mike Wallace bailed.

Also a report that there's some questions building regarding Tomlin's ability to handle a locker room.  I do think some of this *is* his fault, for letting it go on too long.

Preferred teams to win:  I can live with the Saints.  Who Dat? gets a little old but otherwise, no big.  Rivers is too smug for me, and Spanos deserves to fail.  Pats?  Bleah.  Please, no.  KC?  Fun to watch but no defense at all just drives the old school side of me crazy.  Ravens would be interesting...talk about Buck The Trend.  RUN the ball to win.  So OK.  Houston does nothing for me.  Indy...Andy Luck *irritates* me for some reason.   Too gushy, I think.  NFC, the Boys are an abomination led by an anti-Lombardi.  Rams, see Chiefs but they are somewhat more balanced.  Bears?  God, I hate Chicago sports fans.  Eages?  It's Philly.  Worst fans in the US.  (OK, except for anyone calling in to Finebaum.)  Seahawks?  A few years ago, I liked them...but they've squandered a lot of that.  

1 hour ago, Badger said:

On the other hand, I'd rather take him over J*** McD******.   (which a couple of organizations are reportedly high on- though after what he has pulled I have to ask why?)

29 minutes ago, Starlord said:

Yeah, McD****** likely falls into that 'great coordinator does not necessarily a head coach make' category.  Most of the Belichick coaching tree has not really been that great when they leave the nest IMO.

I thought we had rules about the use of obscene language on these boards.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

Ravens would be interesting...talk about Buck The Trend.  RUN the ball to win. 

That's how they won their last SB IIRC.

Bears?  God, I hate Chicago sports fans.  Eages?  It's Philly.  Worst fans in the US.  (OK, except for anyone calling in to Finebaum.) 

Raiders fans would like to have a word.

Seahawks?  A few years ago, I liked them...but they've squandered a lot of that.  

The Seahawks are annoying because they do everything wrong and still win.

9 hours ago, Cygnia said:

Hypothetically...how bad would the ratings be if the Super Bowl ends up as Chargers vs Rams?

"What if they gave a Super Bowl and nobody came?"

I don't know if it will change with the new stadium (if it's ever finished) but the Chargers at least are clearly failing in Los Angeles. They have a stadium about 40% smaller than anyone else's in the league, converted from Major League Soccer, and they still can't fill it. Were it not for revenue sharing and the TV contracts they's be in really bad financial shape because nobody in LA cares about the Chargers, It's not quite as bad for the Rams (who have a long tradition as LA's team), but it is still far from optimal. The new stadium the two teams will share looks state-of-the-art, which means your credit score would have to be near-ideal if you want to buy a ticket.

I have to remind myself that it was the NFL trying desperately to get into Los Angeles and not the other way around. By the time the new field arrives, the Chargers may well be on life support with the league pouring in money to keep them afloat.

On 12/24/2018 at 1:06 PM, Badger said:

Heh, :lol:, get off my lawn.

Course, I argue, I am going by reality.  Cleveland and the NFL, rejected reality and substituted their own.   But, yeah I cant fight the official records.  Goodell will probably have me burned as a witch.  More weight and all.   :no:

Edit: And to be fair, it isn't quite as convoluted as the Pelicans/Hornets mess of a record book in the NBA.  

Absolutely these are League failings. 

I have a hard time seeing anyone but the Saints getting to the big dance out of the NFC, but I have badly intermittent vision.  From the AFC I can't convince myself that anyone can keep the Pasties out.  If it wasn't for the owner I'd root for the Chargers, but that isn't the same as thinking they might win through.

8 hours ago, Old Man said:

Yeah, of the playoff teams I'm rooting for:

Philip Rivers and his team

The Pennsylvania Team that Broke Their QB Again And Got Into the Playoffs With Their Backup QB Again

Andy Reid and that new kid who laughs in the face of physics

Sean McVay proving that Jeff Fisher really did suck

Solid Choices I think. I didn't even check to see who was in.

With no offense intended to Cygnia, I'd rather not see the Pats in unless it was against a team I actively dislike. And...most of them didn't make the playoffs this year.

My Kitties showed their even year colors and bottomed out quickly, I'm concerned about the Saints, but hey if anyone deserves Ring 2 it's Brees. 

Since my horse is no longer in the race, It comes down to a tepid ranking of teams I'd like to see get it. 

12. Philly - I hate them, pretty actively. 

12. Baltimore - Hate them too. 

10. Chicago - Meh. 

10. New England - I was a fan when they were underdogs and I do like them as villains but I grow weary. (though if they play any of the teams below I'll be hoping they pull it off)

08. Dallas, my childhood love and grown up love of Travis Willingham aside, Jerry Jones is a societal cancer.

07. LA Chargers - Punish the owner for this one. They crapped all over San Diego and don't deserve to win. The players are not at fault but them's the breaks

06. Houston - I have no hate in my heart for these guys 

05. Seattle - sure why not they're close. 

04. New Orleans - Brees deserves another shot.

03. Indianapolis - Ownership and Management deserve nothing. But since Luck has given a good portion of his future health to football he should get a shot at the prize.

02. Kansas City - My auto picked Fantasy League QB made me competitive when my auto drafted team otherwise crapped the bed. 

02. L A Rams - They have an Oregon State Punter, Receiver, and Backup QB. Closest thing I have to a team to cheer on. 

11 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

"What if they gave a Super Bowl and nobody came?"

I don't know if it will change with the new stadium (if it's ever finished) but the Chargers at least are clearly failing in Los Angeles. They have a stadium about 40% smaller than anyone else's in the league, converted from Major League Soccer, and they still can't fill it. Were it not for revenue sharing and the TV contracts they's be in really bad financial shape because nobody in LA cares about the Chargers, It's not quite as bad for the Rams (who have a long tradition as LA's team), but it is still far from optimal. The new stadium the two teams will share looks state-of-the-art, which means your credit score would have to be near-ideal if you want to buy a ticket.

I have to remind myself that it was the NFL trying desperately to get into Los Angeles and not the other way around. By the time the new field arrives, the Chargers may well be on life support with the league pouring in money to keep them afloat.

Maybe the Chargers will walk back to SD  with "Uhh, honey I'm sorry"

Mexico City needs a team...

As always I tend to root for the underdog, and for character. I respect the Pats for proving that football is not just two mobs of brutes running into each other repeatedly, but they are never the underdog. (They definitely look mortal this year though.)  Brees is a saint in more ways than one, but he has a ring and is the clear favorite to win out this year. KC is not really an underdog this year but they’ve been wallowing in mediocrity for decades. 

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Some sort of gift of reconciliation, i.e., the owners agreeing to build a new stadium in San Diego without the use of public funds, would certainly go a long way towards such a reunion.

Insanity is repeating the same action over and over, expecting a different result.

In sports terms, it's hiring the failed retreads of the coaching ranks suddenly expecting them to be successful.  A second chance is always understandable, but a 3rd, 4th, 5th?

Translation:  no team should want Hue Jackson as a head coach.

LA Chargers.....

Be realistic, NO ONE wanted the Chargers to move into LA.  Not even Spanos, I suspect.  It became a game of chicken, tho.  The situation is quite similar to the Raiders' mess for next season.  I think the other owners didn't want to say No, because doing so would've created a precedent that might come back to bite them.  LA is loyal to the Dodgers and the Lakers, the Trojans in football and the Bruins in basketball.  And almost no one else.  Remember, even the Rams left due to lack of fan interest.  Admittedly it was a really bad team at that point, but it's also LA.  It's a very self-absorbed city and there's lots of other diversions.  Hey, what's the #1 characteristic of LA fans?  Arrive late, leave early.

3 hours ago, Badger said:

Doubtful, as they are contractually locked into the market for 20 years unless they fold -- which would be so embarrassing to the Shield that the other owners would ever let that happen. Perhaps the reviled Spanos family could sell the team to someone who actually has an idea of what works in LA in terms of marketing. The product on the field is playoff-worthy -- each of their first two seasons in LA had them in.

Winning the Super Bowl might well go a long way towards making Charger home games seem like home games in 2019.