2018-19 NFL Thread.

Enforcer84

17 minutes ago, death tribble said:

Well that was different. Lowest score I can recall seeing.

In Super Bowl, yeah.  (I think VII was 14-7)

I saw how things were going to be at halftime, no way Rams were going to be allowed a victory.  Ended up watching the Tim Burton Sleepy Hollow movie on cable instead (better use of the 8-10pm hours)

4 hours ago, Old Man said:

I wouldn’t have made my “evil” comment if I’d known either of our resident Pats fans were that fannish. As a Raiders fan I expect mockery of my team. 

I'm close to that, but it's deeper and broader.  Seattle is barely part of this planet to East Coast fans.  Seattle is not relevant.  There isn't -- and never has been, other than the late Keith Jackson-- a national writer or commentator with a speck of repect for Seattle teams.  It'd be like respecting, oh, teams from <third world coutry swept by civil war, disaster, and Ebola epidemic at the same time> ... you don't acknowledge them as being really human; you just throw a few pennies and a few crates of stuff they don't recognize as food (wtf is a knish, anyway?) at them as charity and hope they keep their damn diseases to themselves.  They don't belong, never have belonged, and nothing would p*ss the easterners off more than being forced to admit the remote hick-town dump does belong.  If it wasn't for the SEC and college football, the South would be? is? treated the same way.

To make a baseball analogy: no one hates the Mariners, because the Mariners have always sucked.  No one takes a Mariners fan seriously.  Even at the most hostile, partisan venues (and I have been in Fenway and Old Comiskey to validate this) I, while wearing my Mariners cap and jersey, have never been given much more than the same sort of uneasy, vaguely pitying glance that folks use on the obviously harmless but truly deranged nut case on a downtown street corner.  You just don't matter.  And basketball ... Yeah, Seattle won a title back before the league devolved into its present worship of the current one true superstar condition, but the NBA Commissioner literally and repeatedly insulted the city when some dumbass moved what had been the Sonics to Oklahoma.  At least the NFL gave Cleveland a team back after the original Browns got hijacked to Baltimore.  By now I hope the NBA never comes back.

The Seahawks were the same way through into the mid-1990s.  Even when they went to the SB and lost to Pittsburgh (this was the Hasselbeck - Shaun Alexander offense) no one took them seriously.  Going to SB 48 & 49 got the Seahawks some serious hate, in San Francisco especially, but a few other places as well, Fox Sports studios most obviously.

I am a Kc Royals fan in baseball, we were relevant in 2014-15, and that is about it since the mid-1980s.  And the media badly, badly wanted the Mets to win in 2015.  They would have sold their souls if they could for it (luckily they already had, so they couldn't).  Pretty much the same with Giants in 2014.

I’m actually not a Patriots fan. The “golden god” stuff is just me making fun of the more insane fans I have to deal with.  The local news after the game had a unit at the campus of U.Mass Amherst and a co-ed said she thought “the riots were real neat.”

This year the cold kept things pretty calm.

Goff looked like ... a Black Hole, referring to our fantasy league here. 

That was an incredibly bad coaching job out of the Rams.  Wholly inadequate preparations on offense, no half-time adjustments, never bothered to try to contain Edelman.  Best man on the field for them was their punter (who, it must be said, would have deserved the MVP had they somehow won).

Opinion: Super Bowl MVP Julian Edelman shouldn’t even have been playing in the game

tl;dr version: In Major League Baseball, a PED suspension during a season disqualifies a player from participating the postseason. The NFL doesn't do the same; if they had, Edelman would've been watching the game from his couch. But he wasn't, because the NFL doesn't actually care about PEDs.

An interesting read.

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

Opinion: Super Bowl MVP Julian Edelman shouldn’t even have been playing in the game

tl;dr version: In Major League Baseball, a PED suspension during a season disqualifies a player from participating the postseason. The NFL doesn't do the same; if they had, Edelman would've been watching the game from his couch. But he wasn't, because the NFL doesn't actually care about PEDs.

An interesting read.

Well, I'm not a big fan of that in MLB. If you served your suspension, it should be done.