Jump to content

Recommended Posts

One of the builds I've been trying to do lately is a Dullahan (humanoid able to separate their head from their body).

 

I saw in an older thread that Duplication was the suggested method for doing this, but I'm running into an issue regarding sharing senses and life support.

 

The way I am trying to build a Dullahan is that it is a being that is still metaphysically connected to the head even when it is separated from the body. The body can use the head's senses, and the head can still feel the body.

 

If I go with Duplication, it seems like a Clairsentience build of some kind to do this?

 

Another option I was considering was using Stretching, built like this:

 

Head Separation:  Stretching 1m, Does Not Cross Intervening Space (+1/4), Persistent (+1/4), Inherent (+1/4), Indirect (Source Point is the Character, path can change with every use; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), MegaScale (1m = 10,000 km; +2*); No Velocity Damage (-1/4), Limited Body Parts (neck; -1/4). Active Cost: 5 and Real Cost: 3 points.

 

The head and the body can thus be separated by huge distances, but they are still connected metaphysically. The head can still breathe or eat, and the air or food goes to the body as if they were still together. The neck links them via hyperspace.

 

Any other suggestions on how I could get this to work?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe you don't need indirect since stretching is already indirect.

 

I see a problem (assuming you get the GM to accept the megascale trick) in that 4 out of 5 senses are located in the head alone.  If your head is stretched say 10,000km, how does the body know how to move about normally with no targeting sense.  Your body will end up being kind of Helen Keller-ish.  You may also need invisible power effect otherwise even if it doesn't cross the intervening space, the neck's direction will probably sway to however the path lays out.  Finally, just off the top of my head, without always on, this means you can contract the stretching and be speeding either head or body at 10,000 km per second (phase).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well. If you duplicate, the basic premise is that each duplicate can do everything the other can.  No need to worry about eating breathing etc.

 

The big question is how far you want to go with the whole "the head can still feel the body" thing.  Would it take damage if the body took damage (do they share the same pool of STUN and END)?

 

If the answer to those things is no, then the duplicates can be mind linked.  That provides a decent connection.  Everything else then comes down to how you want to limit each of the duplicates because it is either headless or bodyless.  :-)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing how clothes actually look on you (no mirror, no camera)? Showering on days you don't want to wash your hair without getting it wet? Cleaning the compost bin without having to smell it? 

 

Since it obviously flies in some manner... finding your car in the parking lot? Getting a better view of the stage at a concert?

 

I could think of worse powers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, dsatow said:

I believe you don't need indirect since stretching is already indirect.

 

I see a problem (assuming you get the GM to accept the megascale trick) in that 4 out of 5 senses are located in the head alone.  If your head is stretched say 10,000km, how does the body know how to move about normally with no targeting sense.  Your body will end up being kind of Helen Keller-ish.  You may also need invisible power effect otherwise even if it doesn't cross the intervening space, the neck's direction will probably sway to however the path lays out.  Finally, just off the top of my head, without always on, this means you can contract the stretching and be speeding either head or body at 10,000 km per second (phase).

 

I think you're right on the Indirect, but I wasn't sure if it would still work properly if the two parts became separated by a Barrier, since it has the advantage that it does not cross intervening space. Yes, I should probably add something like always on. The head can only move around only as fast as someone can carry it, although I may put that in as a separate Limitation instead of using Always On.

 

Yes, the body would be blind and mute without the head in the immediate area. This isn't really a combat build though. I'm trying to replicate the special effects of a fictional character with this ability.  

 

11 hours ago, Doc Democracy said:

Well. If you duplicate, the basic premise is that each duplicate can do everything the other can.  No need to worry about eating breathing etc.

 

The big question is how far you want to go with the whole "the head can still feel the body" thing.  Would it take damage if the body took damage (do they share the same pool of STUN and END)?

 

If the answer to those things is no, then the duplicates can be mind linked.  That provides a decent connection.  Everything else then comes down to how you want to limit each of the duplicates because it is either headless or bodyless.  :-)

 

 

 

The character I am basing this on has their neck in hyperspace, so food eaten by the head passes into the body's stomach. Air breathed in and out by the head goes in and out of the body's lungs. So the head could be sitting by the side of a pool, and the body can swim underwater without ever surfacing.

 

If you hit the body, the head would feel it and vice-versa. They have a single pool of STUN/BODY/END. I suppose I could get some of this by using the Feedback Limitation.

 

3 hours ago, Cassandra said:

What is the advantages of having a removable head?

 

Well, this isn't really a combat build, but I see your point.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cassandra said:

What is the advantages of having a removable head?

 

  1. Keeping the breathing head outside of the poison gas while the body goes in for the kill.
  2. Able to communicate and talk to one person safely while fighting assorted villains.
  3. The ability to have your cake while fighting off other people trying to take it from you. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In  truth I think a detachable head would make your body absolutely suck in combat - even if you can still sense the body (sense of touch, proprioception) your point of view and hearing would be completely shot (though at least nobody would sneak up behind your body)  

 

If you were across the room watching I would think the best you could pull off is clumsy meat puppet.  If you weren't in the same room the body would just be fumbling around in the dark without even a sense of hearing to try and figure out its surroundings.

 

And that's assuming that the 'hyperspace neck' allows the body to benefit from the sense of balance that is one of the ear's biggest tasks.  Otherwise it's faceplant time.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it is a cool added extra, the practicalities can be subsumed into comic book biophysics.  :-)

 

I think therefore that you really are looking at megascale indirect stretching.  I don’t think there is a terrible advantage to it, so it should not cost too many points and, if the head cannot see the body, then it would be like the body has lost the ability to see and function.

 

Doc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Megascale anything would imply you are non-combat.  Good luck with that...

 

Also, doesn't a Dullahan carry its head under its arm?  I'm not sure that the head it typically out of contact with the body, just not where you'd expect it to be, and as such it is probably just SFX for increased PRE attacks.

 

If you want the head and body to operate independently then buy Duplication, but it seems to me that it is probably just SFX for other powers: Clairsentience, Life Support and the like, with some sort of physical manifestation or focus and damage feedback.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Sean Waters said:

Megascale anything would imply you are non-combat.  Good luck with that...

 

Also, doesn't a Dullahan carry its head under its arm?  I'm not sure that the head it typically out of contact with the body, just not where you'd expect it to be, and as such it is probably just SFX for increased PRE attacks.

 

If you want the head and body to operate independently then buy Duplication, but it seems to me that it is probably just SFX for other powers: Clairsentience, Life Support and the like, with some sort of physical manifestation or focus and damage feedback.

 

Shrinking and Telekinesis linked to Shrinking to simulate having the Body move independently.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The traditional Dullhan is an undead warrior without a head at all. And still able to sense the world around him. You might not be able to flash it, but it still can "see"and "hear".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 8:20 PM, DasBroot said:

In  truth I think a detachable head would make your body absolutely suck in combat - even if you can still sense the body (sense of touch, proprioception) your point of view and hearing would be completely shot (though at least nobody would sneak up behind your body)  

 

If you were across the room watching I would think the best you could pull off is clumsy meat puppet.  If you weren't in the same room the body would just be fumbling around in the dark without even a sense of hearing to try and figure out its surroundings.

 

And that's assuming that the 'hyperspace neck' allows the body to benefit from the sense of balance that is one of the ear's biggest tasks.  Otherwise it's faceplant time.

 

 

 

Without a face to plant?

 

Lucius Alexander

 

The palindromedary thinks Stretching covers this concept.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reminds me of the Corpse, an undead Solomon Grundy homage I made for my Legion Of Doom homage. I gave him the ability to remove an eye/ear and see/hear from a distance. Clarisentience with a Physical Manifisation.

 

It's not perfect, but if once planted, the head can't move, then Clarisentience with Physical Manifisation might be doable (or not, considering my infamous bad spelling).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On February 16, 2018 at 8:27 PM, steriaca said:

The traditional Dullhan is an undead warrior without a head at all. And still able to sense the world around him. You might not be able to flash it, but it still can "see"and "hear".

 

So that was what the Headless Indiana haunting Tallulah Morehead's mansion was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cassandra said:

 

So that was what the Headless Indiana haunting Tallulah Morehead's mansion was.

Prehaps. There are different names depending on culture. The most basic, a headless reverent unable to rest till it's head is found, or it finds a substitute head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, steriaca said:

Prehaps. There are different names depending on culture. The most basic, a headless reverent unable to rest till it's head is found, or it finds a substitute head.

 

You read My Lush Life?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2018 at 4:55 AM, steriaca said:

No.

 

My Lush Life is the fictional autobiography of movie star Tallulah Morehead.  In her mansion she has the ghost of a headless indian.

 

It's by Douglas McEwan and very funny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×