Petey's 2018 Winter Olympics Thread

On 2/13/2018 at 12:57 PM, Pariah said:

On the women's side, I hope the USA can finally break out of their 20-year (!) slump and win the gold. Canada's gonna be tough to beat, though. 

On 2/15/2018 at 11:01 AM, Pariah said:

Yeah, maybe in 2022....

I stand corrected. Man, that was one sick penalty shot.

Congratulations, USA Women's Hockey team!

9 hours ago, Old Man said:

Interesting.  Tell me more about this "hockey".  Are the combatants permitted to wear armor?

7 hours ago, L. Marcus said:

Padding, really. And plastic helmets. Armed with wooden clubs.

As I've heard it described, ice hockey is "sixty minutes of men [or women] in short pants hitting each other with their sticks."

4 minutes ago, Pariah said:

As I've heard it described, ice hockey is "sixty minutes of men [or women] in short pants hitting each other with their sticks."

And with hard, frozen rubber discs. Don't forget about the discs!

(Actually, people do block shots other than goalies. That isn't fun, especially if it hits the unpadded area in the back of the knee. Then it's really painful and might actually do real damage.)

In college, my roommate was the PA announcer for the school's hockey team. I still remember the warning for the spectators well: "Keep your eyes on the puck at all times. It's made of six ounces of vulcanized rubber, frozen solid before the game, and can cause serious bodily harm!"

The IOC was debating whether to let the Russian athletes fly their flag during the closing ceremony. The committee decided against it because of the athletes who failed the doping tests.

As for hockey results (spoiler tags for those who haven't seen it yet):

Russia takes the gold. Pity they didn't get to hear their national anthem played.

Just now, tkdguy said:

The IOC was debating whether to let the Russian athletes fly their flag during the closing ceremony. The committee decided against it because of the athletes who failed the doping tests.

As for hockey results (spoiler tags for those who haven't seen it yet):

Hide contents

Russia takes the gold. Pity they didn't get to hear their national anthem played.

Hard to feel pity, or anything even remotely sympathetic, really, for athletes from a country that made dishonest athletic competition a matter of government policy. The Russian government deliberately and systematically bypassed testing protocols that everyone else had to follow. Pity they didn't hear their national anthem? Meh. To me, it's a pity they were there at all.

(Plus, they were using their top-level professional players {KHL} while all the best players from North America and Western Europe {NHL} weren't there.)

Just my $0.02; YMMV.

Keep in mind the Russian athletes who were allowed to compete had been cleared by the IOC. Two of them failed the doping test afterwards, but the rest didn't have that problem.

In other news, Norway won another gold medal, this time in cross-country skiing. Norway now has 39 medals, 14 of them gold. So they are tied with Germany in the gold medal count, and lead the total medal count. But now they're worried that they're winning too much.

On a final note, the Koreans have proven to be excellent hosts. The athletes and fans have been gracious both in victory and defeat.

Well done, Pyongchang, and thank you. Kamsahamnida.