Stunned without losing STUN?

RDU Neil

I haven't seen anyone here mention suppress.

Suppress STUN, cannot be maintained (-1/2)?

Base Suppress is 5pts per, so normal campaign limits give you 10-12d6. Applies against Power Defense that is normally fairly low. For one phase, their STUN drops by 30-40 pts, which will trigger a CON stun in all but the hardiest opponents. And at the end of that phase, their STUN shoots back up to normal value. It acts like STUN damage, until it doesn't. 

Suppress is ranged by default, 1 END per 2d6, normal attack roll, and perfect for this sort of situation.

2 hours ago, ghost-angel said:

Suppress isn't eliminated from 6E, it's reconfigured as a type of Drain.

Ok, poor choice of words. But like Gliding it no longer has its own power write up and has been relegated to being a subset of another power.

And if I recall correctly, Regeneration was a separate power in 4e but was eliminated as a full power in 5e that could be rebuilt using Healing plus Advantages. 6e added Regeneration back as a full separate power again.

7 hours ago, Lucius said:

So how about a Drain STUN with Limitation: Points Recover Instantly?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks that's another stunning idea

The only problem, IIRC, is a rule that says if a stunned target recovers all their stun from the attack that made the target stunned, they become unstunned.  I can't quote the page number but I do remember reading it somewhere (one of the books or from Steve's response).

• 6 years later...

I miss the palindromedary

Also in 6th edition in the Advanced Player Guide I i think, it has a Stunning option for Change Environment, you can hit someone with it and it stuns them unless they make a successful CON roll.  The only problem I have with the build is that you stay stunned until you make a breakout roll which I think violates the basic concept of stunning.  CON Roll penalties are pretty cheap to stack on.

Edited by Christopher R Taylor

On 2/15/2018 at 3:49 PM, RDU Neil said:

This is really where I want to go with this... as the "Stunned" effect I'm most interested in is basically the results of a flash bang type of attack. Rattles the brain, makes you a bit incoherent as you need to shake it off, but not really knocking you out. It really is what zslane posted above... an attack that has a "Stunned" as its effect, with a Stat roll to counter, -1 to Stat roll for every +5 points. Essentially an attack where your CON or EGO were the defense.

Totally think that is the way to go... so with that in mind... I'd ask "How is this potentially broken, abusable, and/or violates some core tenant of Hero, would create weird scenarios, etc. more than any other power or build?"  On the surface it seems pretty good. Would affect normals and lower CON/EGO characters, but would have little to no effect on supers who have very high stats, unless you spent a lot of points on it, and even then, all your getting is a 1/2 DCV and one lost action, which is what an Entangle gets you, but this goes away even if you miss the original role.

Seems quite tame compared to how some attacks could be abused, and gets right to the heart of what we are trying to simulate.

I like it.

I wouldn't use a Flash attack - you can still use other senses to 'see' your opponent and it doesn't stop them from actually attacking. I'd go with what cassandra said: Entangle, takes no damage, then use Con to break out, not Str.

Abuse - it's one thing for a storywriter to use it, quite another to be on the receiving end of it in a game. We already came up with a Stun Advantage  and it's rarely used because players don't care for it; this concept would probably not be received well. 

Edited by Tech