Naked Advantages Cost Issue

Alcibiades

Question

Good day Mr. Long!

I have a question for you. I have the following two powers.

15 Barbed Scourge:  Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6, +2 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/2), Armor Piercing (x2; +1/2) (30 Active Points); No STR Bonus (-1/2), Reduced Penetration (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4)

and 

16 The Lash of Conscience:  (Total: 33 Active Cost, 16 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6, +2 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/2)  (22 Active Points); No STR Bonus (-1/2), Reduced Penetration (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4) (Real Cost: 11) <b>plus</b> Armor Piercing (x2; +1/2) for up to 22 Active Points of Barbed Scourge (11 Active Points); Linked (Barbed Scourge; -1/2), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (only affects living things; -1/2) (Real Cost: 5)

Due to the way Limitations and Advantages on the base power interact with Naked Advantages, the second version is more expensive than the first, despite being worse.

Am I doing this wrong, or is there some alternate means for "a weapon that is armor-piercing against  living things, but not inanimate ones?"

Thank you!

1 answer to this question

The first problem I need to note here, before I get into your specific question, is that you can't apply Linked to a naked Advantage; by definition the naked Advantage only works with the base power(s) it's bought for, and can't be used without them. So the Real Cost of the naked Advantage should be 7 points, making the Lash Of Conscience version of the power cost 18 points, not 16.

Other than that, I don't see that you're doing anything wrong. The fact that the two powers have a slightly different cost comes from the fact that the second power is more flexible than the first:  the character doesn't have to use the naked Advantage if he doesn't want to. If the cost difference really bothers you, I'd suggest using the first version and just coming to an agreement with your GM that the AP Advantage will only affect living beings. Or take your cost argument to your GM and ask him to reduce the cost of the naked Advantage to 4 points so that both powers cost 15 points.