Would there be any interest in a book like his for Hero System?

phoenix240

I'm not certain how popular the Tool kit aspect of Hero System is right now. But I would love to see a book like GURPS Adaptations for Hero System. Would it interest anyone else? 

Ad blurb for the link adverse:

GURPS is a fun, flexible system, useful in every kind of genre. Now, GURPS Adaptations takes that toolkit and shows you how to build your favorite fictional settings. With six examples ranging from the Odyssey to Dracula, GURPS Adaptations will guide you and your players as you tell new stories in worlds you already know.

That GURPS supplement focused on The Odyssey, Dracula, The Wizard of Oz, Water Margin, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, and Pride and Prejudice. Are these all public domain works? The reason I ask is because if there were to be an equivalent supplement for the HERO RPG system, we would have to compile a list of public domain material which comprises content that is both relevant and exciting. By the way...how many superheroes are in the public domain? Are any of them noteworthy?

How would a court determine that your superhero Thor isn't infringing on Marvel's superhero Thor? Is it enough to just change the costume? Or would a court decide that nobody but Marvel can use the Norse pantheon as the basis for superheroes and supervillains? That would take something that was always public domain (mythology) and make it proprietary.

19 hours ago, phoenix240 said:

I'm not certain how popular the Tool kit aspect of Hero System is right now. But I would love to see a book like GURPS Adaptations for Hero System. Would it interest anyone else? 

Ad blurb for the link adverse:

Maybe.  I think adaptations wouldn't be useful but more like the effects of scale and options and hows, whys, and dangers of house rules.  Also how to set expectation in a campaign would be good.

For instance, take the Negative End thread http://www.herogames.com/forums/topic/96627-negative-end-and-charges/

Its a common house rule that ignores the minimum 1 end per basic maneuver.  Is it catastrophic to implement?  Not in most scenarios, but in a very gritty realistic game, it may matter.

An uncommon house rule is using a d20 rather than 3d6 for skill rolls and to hit.  It may make transitioning to the game easier but it also teaches a not commonly used mechanic to relatively new players and removes the effect of a bell curve.

For scale, using NCM might be useful if you need to segregate the human from the super human or it might restrict concepts like the movie ninja, the fastest gun in the west, the olympic heavyweight  boxer, etc.  Having futuristic pistols doing 3d6K might seem like a logical jump in power for say Battlestar Galactica circa 1979, but a single hit from something like that will take out a player wearing on leather jackets and not make the game that much fun.

For options, bleeding might add drama and uncertainty but it might also create an increase in players with high resistant defenses or healing/regen.  This might not be an issue if it heroic level and those powers are limited to equipment, but in a supers world, even Batman would buy armor.

Managing expectations is also useful.  I've been in games where someone says magic is rare or psionics is rare.  And based on the characters, less than 25% of them are.  But on the other hand, if one villain (out of 4-6) in every session has that special effect, it really is more common than uncommon.

Previous books did cover some of the above, but not in depth.  So a better more nuanced explanation and possibly some examples of how this might happen (good and bad effects) would be useful.

17 hours ago, Greywind said:

Marvel's take on Thor is not public domain.

Right, technically they have a Trademark on that specific iteration of Thor. But the Character himself is still Public Domain.

57 minutes ago, Ragitsu said:

Who owns Doc Savage?

I tried to figure that out with a short lived google search where the answer seems to be: possibly a bunch of people, possibly no one at all. DC at one point had rights to a comic book, but lost those, and various lawsuits over various media presentations have popped up...

21 hours ago, zslane said:

How would a court determine that your superhero Thor isn't infringing on Marvel's superhero Thor? Is it enough to just change the costume? Or would a court decide that nobody but Marvel can use the Norse pantheon as the basis for superheroes and supervillains? That would take something that was always public domain (mythology) and make it proprietary.

I'd suggest not having him wear a cape, not having those big circles on his chest, changing the design of Mjolnir, and not having him speak in pseudo-Shakespeare.

22 hours ago, zslane said:

1 hour ago, massey said:

I'd suggest not having him wear a cape, not having those big circles on his chest, changing the design of Mjolnir, and not having him speak in pseudo-Shakespeare.

it might be wise to give him red hair

2 hours ago, massey said:

Right, IOW, change the costume (the hammer is sort of part of the costume in this sense).

THor has shown up in other comic universes, you just have to avoid the blonde, beardless version with that costume.

Mjolnir is probably pretty close to how it ought to look, but red hair, beard, and more nordic than old English is a good start.  Have him use his chariot with the berserker edible regenerating goats pulling it is another.

Massey, I think what Phoenix is saying is a book that not only give tips but a solid example from idea to completion on to how use Hero system create your vision. Yes Hero has many sourcebooks. The sourcebooks though gives many tools and sample game. However, the sample game doesn’t go in depth of many of the hows and whys and why nots with the rules.

12 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

Massey, I think what Phoenix is saying is a book that not only give tips but a solid example from idea to completion on to how use Hero system create your vision. Yes Hero has many sourcebooks. The sourcebooks though gives many tools and sample game. However, the sample game doesn’t go in depth of many of the hows and whys and why nots with the rules.

Yes, that was what I was thinking. Tips and guidelines on how to translate vision to game using Hero System, with a focus on extant settings but the advice would be usable for home brew as too. Sort of a how too get for using the tools offered for new comers combined with mini source book(s) in the example settings. It could also offer enticement in the wider range of source books in the form of "See X Hero for more details". 

Sort of a How To guide book for using Hero System to create a game, structured around implementing existing settings which would be applicable to home brew.