HERO System newb...What books to buy?

pming

Hiya!

Will do...once the books arrive. Where I live, it's "2 - 6 weeks"...probably closer to the 6 than the 2, but you never know. :)  But at least I get the PDF's to read until then! I'll try and remember to take some pics or video or something. Can't imagine what the "duty" on the batch will be when it crosses the border into Canada (hell, shipping was a couple cents under $95). Expensive hobby! Then again, if I get even a tenth of the value that I have gotten out of my BECMI box sets and 1e AD&D books...it's a steal! 

^_^

Paul L. Ming

I can say with confidence that if you end up falling in love with the Hero System, like most folks here have, then the collection of books you have coming will provide a lifetime's worth a great gaming.

The system is so complete and well-structured that you really won't need anything else. Ever. The only requirement, really, is that you buy into the intrinsically cinematic bias of the system. If you do that, then you'll never feel the need to switch systems again, even while you switch from genre to genre as befits you and your group's mood.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome collection, thanks for posting; but I never realized how boringly uniform those 6E core books look until I saw them all together like this. I mean, I get why the choices were made, but personally I miss highly individualized cover art. :(

But of course, most of us here don't buy Hero books for the pretty pictures. :)

Hiya!

Well, I've "skimmed through" most of them. Wowzers. I remember reading and making (or trying to) a character for Champions (I think it was the 2e book...it was back in the early/mid 80's iirc). I remember the difference between "Stun" and "Killing" damage and thinking to myself..."That's a pretty cool idea...hmmm...". One thing I did notice...I can't believe I forgot a couple books I wanted! O_O  I just now (last minute or two) ordered Ultimate Base, Champions, Champions: Universe, Champions: Powers, and Champions: Beyond. I generally like more "simplistic, fast n' furious" style systems for my comic book RPG's, but I am also a sucker for 'em. I own a LOT of different super hero systems, and Champions was sorely lacking. Well, that' problem's fixed now! Should have another box or two showing up in a couple weeks (...and what's another $260, right?... ;) ).

Anyway...this summer I think I'm going to run a "HERO System" campaign. Better to have more books than I need than need more books that I have! :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

You may want to get some of the 5e books that never got full conversions to 6e before the economy slowdown.  The vehicles are a good example. POD 6e Skills is basically the same as 5e Ultimate Skill. Either are good buys. Dark Champions has a few things/rules not in the Equipment Guide.

Good Luck and don't hesitate to ask questions.

If you haven't already, I would order the Champions Villain Volume set, starting with Volume 3 first, than 2, then finally 1. A beginning GM has more use out of a collection of solo villains (V3), and a few teams (V2) then a collection of masterminds (V1). When High Rock Press finishes Champions Villain Volume 4: Organization, I would recommend getting that also, for who doesn't need a bunch of henchmen.

Hiya!

Thanks for the suggestions! I don't think we will use HERO for our "Super Hero" games though, in all honesty. We have tried a handful of other super games over the decades, and we all know that for a Super Hero game, we want "fast n' loose". Up until about a year ago that was Marvel Super Heroes Advanced Set (playing it since it hit the market back in '86). But a year ago I bought a PDF of a game called "SUPERS! Revised Edition", gave it a quick read, and promptly forgot about it for a couple months. Then read it again more thoroughly. I thought "This actually sounds pretty cool..." so I grabbed a hard copy. A few weeks later only two people could make it to our Sunday game session...and the SUPERS! book was right there so I said "Lets try this". After an hour we were hooked! Started a SUPERS! campaign right then and there and ordered hard copies for all my players. With Champions, I think we'd get too bogged down in numbers and stats and who goes when, and if someone can interrupt another, and all the other stuff a more detailed system has. With SUPERS! Revised Edition ("SUPERS! RED, as it is usually called), it hits that sweet spot of "wide-open interpretation, but enough detail to give us easily understood boundaries". Then again...I'll probably give Champions at least one or two serious tries. You never know when a game's play is going to really hit the sweet spots! :)

Thanks again all! I'm still slowly digesting the hundred pounds of books I bought....slow going, like climbing the cliffs of insanity I guess. ;)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Congratulations on your new campaign!  SUPERS! RED is one of my favorite RPGs, and I’ve had great success running it.  It’s a very different thing than Champions, but it is very much true to the feel of comic book supers. I’d recommend it to anyone looking for a lighter, looser supers RPG.

Enjoy!

Hiya!

Whitehorse, Yukon. :)  Have a feeling I may be moving north a bit more, to Dawson City (another 600km or so). Whitehorse is getting to big for my liking. Not for another five to ten years, but I do kinda see myself up there later. Mind you, in five to ten years even Dawson City might be "too big city" for me. ;) 

^_^

Paul L. Ming